500D Cordura or 330D Cordura faced X-pac?

aion2come

WKR
I'm debating on the fabric for my next pack. I'm torn between the 330 Cordura faced X-pac from Quest Outfitters and the 500 Cordura from Camo Fabric Depot. Bought the Cordura from CFD last year and the PU coating didn't appear to be high quality (Is that true or not???). So ... which would you choose? Go.

I bought some atacs au from camo fabric depot and wasn't very impressed. It's pretty stiff and loud and kind of rough. I don't know about the waterproofness of it but I opted not to use it for a pack I made because of how it felt. I ended up using some 500d I bought off ebay and it was much nicer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you want good 500d rockywoods is a good source and you're definitely getting first run quality material.

As for xpac (wether its 330 or 500 face fabric) its a different fabric all together. If you're trying for more waterproof (seams still can leak) that its definately more so that urethane and dwr coated 500d. The fabric is stiffer though and not as pliable doing curves, you still can do them but it doesn't drape like 500d.

If you aren't in a rush and want to feel the xpac I can put some scraps in a letter envelope and mail it to you, I have some 330d xpac and 500d xpac here.

OP
A

aion2come

WKR
Pods8, that is a great offer. I'll inbox you. I have used both x-pac and 500d cordura before. I haven't used the 330d cordura faced x-pac. So a couple of questions for you.

1. I've read that x-pac can delaminate relatively fast. Any insight on that?
2. Any insight into the cordura sold by rockywoods vs camo fabric depot? Both in general, and also as to the PU coating?

My last bag I overbuilt, using an x-pac liner and 500D cordura. Great bag but too heavy. I'd like to shave weight still be about 95% waterproof/resistant ... but I want the bag to be tough enough to last - both inside and out. I thought about doing just 330D Cordura, but can't find any with a pattern I love that also has a PU coating on it.

OP
A

aion2come

WKR
@joshdidthis. I used the fabric from Camo Fabric Depot last year. The cordura itself was ok, pretty much like all the 500D Cordura I have used from other sources. But the PU coating didn't appear to be very substantial at all. That said, I do really like their A-tacs iX pattern a lot.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pods8, that is a great offer. I'll inbox you. I have used both x-pac and 500d cordura before. I haven't used the 330d cordura faced x-pac. So a couple of questions for you.

1. I've read that x-pac can delaminate relatively fast. Any insight on that?
2. Any insight into the cordura sold by rockywoods vs camo fabric depot? Both in general, and also as to the PU coating?

My last bag I overbuilt, using an x-pac liner and 500D cordura. Great bag but too heavy. I'd like to shave weight still be about 95% waterproof/resistant ... but I want the bag to be tough enough to last - both inside and out. I thought about doing just 330D Cordura, but can't find any with a pattern I love that also has a PU coating on it.

I replied to your PM.

In regards to the questions. No clue on the delam, my personal pack I build last Aug with xpac rear and bottom and haven't had issues yet. I can throw some rockywoods sourced stuff in your envelope as well and you can compare vs what you've got.

Its the buckles/zippers/webbing that get you mostly not the main fabric, my $0.02. I personally don't like the feel of 330d all that much, gain my $0.02. I haven't used it but some of the thinner xpac may be useful but color selection might be an issue.

OP
A

aion2come

WKR
Just find an old machine with metal gears. Old Kenmores or Old Singers work great. I've used both. I think my Kenmore had a bit more power but it didn't stitch quite as neatly as the Singer. I've paid between $40 and $100 for my machines.