500D vs 1000D cordura

PredatorX

WKR
How many of you all have gone with 1000D cordura in a kifaru pack? More durable and heavier but doest shed water quite as well? Is that about all there is to it?

dotman

WKR
1000d is way over board IMO, just not needed as 500d is plenty durable.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
I only want to do this once haha. Will 500D last me the rest of my life?

The way I look at it is.....if Aron and some of the other major killers are running 500d without issue then I should be more than ok with it.

Shrek

WKR
The quality American made 500 cordura that Kifaru uses is very tough and durable. I had a couple of pieces in 1000 and I didn't like the way it handled. As long as you don't leave it baking in the sun all off season it will last many years of hard use. UV radiation will destroy anything given enough time. You will be happier with 500 imo.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have managed to put some puncture holes in 500D before. Some from laying it down on a pointy rock I didn't know was pointy or from carelessly stuffing a goat head into the pack and of course their pointy little horns can poke a hole in things. On all occasions it was me having my head up you know where and never have wished for 1000D. Just my experience with 500D, never touched the 1000D stuff as I do feel its overkill.....

roycer

FNG
I will only buy 1000d, contrary to what you hear on this forum, it does make a difference and takes much more abuse..just ask fellow veterans or active servicemen what they will take on deployment.

I will only buy 1000d, contrary to what you hear on this forum, it does make a difference and takes much more abuse..just ask fellow veterans or active servicemen what they will take on deployment.

Yes I'm sure most military would choose 1000d. However there are some very skilled and seasoned outdoorsman on this forum. Just about All choose 500d. There is a reason for that. Same as a serviceman might choose the 1000d.

When I was beginning my backcountry hunting obsession and uneducated to the differences in material I bought everything in 1000D. Figured "tougher is better" and thought I'd "need" the extra toughness of 1000D to backpack hunt. Truth be told I'm not a serviceman jumping out of helicopters or having my pack run over by armored vehicles so 500D will cover everything I realistically hope to do with a pack. I'm the average guy addicted to hunting with my camp on my back. Listening, Reading, and Learning from the more experienced guys I've since changed the error of my ways and actually benefited from the experience of those before me.

molon labe

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We do talk with seal teams, ODA teams and other groups about this.....they all are requesting 500D packs. I can promise you that if there were a good enough market for 1000D, then we would be building more packs out of it.

kodiakfly

WKR
I'm a 500d guy....and active duty. Some of my deployment gear issued to me is 1000d, but a lot is 500. The 1000 is nice when there is the legit possibility of your crap being thrown or run over by someone who doesn't care, or being drug across the non-skid in a C130, then sure yeah. But even then 500 gets it done. For my personal outdoor gear, 500 is plenty. Sh*t happens...I've busted holes in my Tin Cloth Filson stuff, so anything can happen. But 500 is tough enough for busting brush and hauling a load. Last a lifetime? That's like anything. I know guys who can wear out anything. But use it, take care of it, and yeah, it'll last you.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
500d is lighter, more supple, and has a tighter weave so it's naturally more water-resistant. All of the 1000d I've felt seemed pretty coarse.

If you want abrasion resistant and fully waterproof you could just go get a custom McHale full-cuban. You won't need to worry about your wallet weighing you down, either. Win-Win-Win.