50mm Spotting scope shootout.

fatrascal

WKR
Hey Robby Denning or Jordan Budd or somebody, I'm getting older and want to drop some weight from my backpack. Would love to see a comparison between the Vortex Razor 50mm, Kowa TSN 501, Minox MD 50, Nikon ED 50, Athlon 50 and any other 50mm's that are out there. I've got respect for for your gear comparisons and would like to see your findings. Can't say I've ever seen a 50mm spotter shootout. Fatrascal.

2blade

WKR
I suspect out of what you have listed, that the Nikon Ed50 with the MC2 13x40 eye piece is going to be the winner. From there the Kowa Tsn 553, 554 will be the best.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Throw in the Hawke Endurance ED 50mm as well. I'm curious how it stacks up against the Vortex, Nikon, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
I have a Razor 50 that I could lend if someone wanted to do the comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Leupold gets hated hard on this site, but I'd loan a compact gold ring spotter for this comparison.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I suspect out of what you have listed, that the Nikon Ed50 with the MC2 13x40 eye piece is going to be the winner. From there the Kowa Tsn 553, 554 will be the best.

I'd be interested how the MM4 I mentioned stacks against it to be honest, its also japan built with ED glass.

Obviously no argument the higher price class kowa 553/554 is gonna be the best if leaving behind 50mm.

Hey Robby Denning or Jordan Budd or somebody, I'm getting older and want to drop some weight from my backpack. Would love to see a comparison between the Vortex Razor 50mm, Kowa TSN 501, Minox MD 50, Nikon ED 50, Athlon 50 and any other 50mm's that are out there. I've got respect for for your gear comparisons and would like to see your findings. Can't say I've ever seen a 50mm spotter shootout. Fatrascal.
I sure like my Leupold Gold Ring compact spotter - 15-30x50mm

Shoes

FNG
I have a Vortex Razor 50mm. I don't hate it but it's certainly not what I was hoping for. Has me really considering 15/18x binos for a lighter option.

I think this test would have to be split up by price range, then maybe the winner of the lower range could be compared against the top tier.

Over the years I have had a Razor 50, Nikon Ed 50 and a Kowa tsn 501. I now run a Swaro 65hd and wouldn’t go back to a 50mm. If you HAVE to have a 50 I would go with the Kowa 553

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you HAVE to have a 50 I would go with the Kowa 553

??? it’s not a 50... Graned it’s not far off, it’s a great scope (as is the swaro 65) but it’s not the topic the OP was asking about. He asked about the 50s of which their isn’t an alpha glass contender thus it’s irrelevant to mention the larger objective alpha options. He didn’t ask SHOULD he get a 50mm of which such suggestions would factor he asked for a comparison of the true 50mm (arguably tier 2) spotters which honestly I do find curios and bringing up kowa 55 and swaro 65 are just a distraction from the distinct topic started.

tdot

WKR
??? it’s not a 50... Graned it’s not far off, it’s a great scope (as is the swaro 65) but it’s not the topic the OP was asking about. He asked about the 50s of which their isn’t an alpha glass contender thus it’s irrelevant to mention the larger objective alpha options. He didn’t ask SHOULD he get a 50mm of which such suggestions would factor he asked for a comparison of the true 50mm (arguably tier 2) spotters which honestly I do find curios and bringing up kowa 55 and swaro 65 are just a distraction from the distinct topic started.

I'll agree that the Swaro 65 isnt a fair comparison to a 50. But if you wouldnt compare a Kowa 55 to the other 50's then what class would you compare it to? Should it be tossed in with the 65's? The tough thing about Kowa is many of their optics are incrementally larger then their piers. My 663 is larger then a Swaro 65, but that's what it should be compared to.

I would be pretty happy to see an in depth comparison between the top tier 50's, including the Kowa 55.

tdot

WKR

I'm hoping to personally compare these two scopes at some point. Why do you put the ED50 ahead of the Kowa 55? Is it optically superior? Or are you considering cost/value in your comparison?

2blade

WKR
[I'm hoping to personally compare these two scopes at some point. Why do you put the ED50 ahead of the Kowa 55? Is it optically superior? Or are you considering cost/value in your comparison? /QUOTE]

The OP was asking about the Kowa 501 not the Kowa 55. I believe the Ed 50 will be better than the kowa 501 which does not have ED glass. The Kowa 55 is an entirely different animal but then its almost 3 times the price so it should be.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll agree that the Swaro 65 isnt a fair comparison to a 50. But if you wouldnt compare a Kowa 55 to the other 50's then what class would you compare it to? Should it be tossed in with the 65's? The tough thing about Kowa is many of their optics are incrementally larger then their piers. My 663 is larger then a Swaro 65, but that's what it should be compared to.

I would be pretty happy to see an in depth comparison between the top tier 50's, including the Kowa 55.

Its fairly obvious the kowa 55 is gonna dominate, as it should at 2x the cost of the mentioned 50s. The 50s are as noted really the tier 2 optics as no one has done a full tilt alpha build in that size so for that reason I think it would be interesting to compare the true 50s to themselves. If someone wants to add the kowa 55 to the mix to see how close some of the 50s come then I guess that would be of some interest but I don't thing anyone should hold their breath over whether the kowa 55 is better than all the true 50s. ;)

tdot

WKR
Its fairly obvious the kowa 55 is gonna dominate, as it should at 2x the cost of the mentioned 50s. The 50s are as noted really the tier 2 optics as no one has done a full tilt alpha build in that size so for that reason I think it would be interesting to compare the true 50s to themselves. If someone wants to add the kowa 55 to the mix to see how close some of the 50s come then I guess that would be of some interest but I don't thing anyone should hold their breath over whether the kowa 55 is better than all the true 50s. ;)

This is the reason to have it in the review. IMO. Yes, it may be superior, but if the Kowa only gives them 10 more minutes of useable light at dusk or an extra 1x of useable magnification, then a person reading the review can make their own decision on the value they place on that last incremental improvement. However, if the smaller 50's are unusable at the top 1/3 of their magnification range, or outside of full sunlight. Then that would also be very useful to know and again each individual can make their decision on the value they place on each attribute.

And I secretly hope to hear that something 1/3 the cost of the Kowa is comparable in every way.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Based on my experience with incrementally upgrading to alpha binos I am gonna guess it has more to do with crisp edge to edge image and least eye fatigue. The cheaper scopes may have a moderately clear image (but not crisp) at the upper end which wouldn’t be a big deal for a quick confirmation glance but straining for extended viewing. Dunno though, a bit curious as well now. ;)

OP
fatrascal

fatrascal

WKR
Wow, I wasn't expecting this kind of participation. But I'm surely grateful. A little history of myself. I've been using Swarovski scopes for at least 17 years. Currently I have the ATX setup with the 65mm objective and and the 95mm objective and also the BTX. BTX and 95mm objective is for scouting from a truck and the 65mm is and has been my backpacking scope which I truley love. But as I stated in the original post I'm looking to drop weight. In the long run I may decide that its just not worth it to drop from the 65mm swaro to less objective size and less quality but at this time I;m very interested. I plan on using it on top of the "Snipe Pod" tripod system which again would be a huge savings in weight as compared to my size small compact Outddorsmans tripod. thanks for the responses I've really enjoyed your thoughts. And yes Leupold and anybody elses name brand would be a consideration. At this time I'm leaning toward the TSN 501 because I like its weight and price. I've already got a lot of money tied up in optics and I'm not sure I want to spend big money on a 50mm until I figure out wether or not I like the system. But all name brands are an interest for me. I don't mind including the 55mm's for fun but probably would not get one because size adds weight. Thanks again. Fatrascal.