50mm Spotting scope shootout.

tdhanses

WKR
Based on my experience with incrementally upgrading to alpha binos I am gonna guess it has more to do with crisp edge to edge image and least eye fatigue. The cheaper scopes may have a moderately clear image (but not crisp) at the upper end which wouldn’t be a big deal for a quick confirmation glance but straining for extended viewing. Dunno though, a bit curious as well now. ;)

Correct it’s not all about low light performance and I have to agree the Kowa 55 really wouldn’t do this review justice. I have it and it’s right up there with the bigger optics, it’s down side is fov.

Truthfully if someone wants a backpack spotter under 2lbs that doesn’t require a heavy tripod yet has amazing performance the Kowa 55 is the only answer but it comes at a price and not everyone is willing to jump to that price point, that’s where this review would be helpful.

gfreidy

WKR
Wow, I wasn't expecting this kind of participation. But I'm surely grateful. A little history of myself. I've been using Swarovski scopes for at least 17 years. Currently I have the ATX setup with the 65mm objective and and the 95mm objective and also the BTX. BTX and 95mm objective is for scouting from a truck and the 65mm is and has been my backpacking scope which I truley love. But as I stated in the original post I'm looking to drop weight. In the long run I may decide that its just not worth it to drop from the 65mm swaro to less objective size and less quality but at this time I;m very interested. I plan on using it on top of the "Snipe Pod" tripod system which again would be a huge savings in weight as compared to my size small compact Outddorsmans tripod. thanks for the responses I've really enjoyed your thoughts. And yes Leupold and anybody elses name brand would be a consideration. At this time I'm leaning toward the TSN 501 because I like its weight and price. I've already got a lot of money tied up in optics and I'm not sure I want to spend big money on a 50mm until I figure out wether or not I like the system. But all name brands are an interest for me. I don't mind including the 55mm's for fun but probably would not get one because size adds weight. Thanks again. Fatrascal.
Ok...I am jealous! Nice set ups... keep us posted on what you try and how it meets your needs.

EastMT

WKR
Its fairly obvious the kowa 55 is gonna dominate, as it should at 2x the cost of the mentioned 50s. The 50s are as noted really the tier 2 optics as no one has done a full tilt alpha build in that size so for that reason I think it would be interesting to compare the true 50s to themselves. If someone wants to add the kowa 55 to the mix to see how close some of the 50s come then I guess that would be of some interest but I don't thing anyone should hold their breath over whether the kowa 55 is better than all the true 50s. ;)

I recently purchased a 553 for a smoking deal, $1009 thinking it would be amazingly better than the Nikon ED50.

At one time I had a Vortex Razor Gen 2 85mm, Swaro STS 65mm, Nikon ED 50, Nikon ED III 60, Nikon ED 82. I sold everything but the nikons.

After buying the Kowa 553, here’s my comparison:

Adjustments go to the Kowa, has 2 knobs one is super fine adjustment. It is light, not nearly as lite as the Nikon. The eyepiece has good eyerelief for glasses.

Weight goes to the Nikon, flexibility goes to the Nikon with all the eyepieces available and the fact they they switch between the 50/60/82mm.

Optical, I would say the Kowa is MAYBE 5% better, big maybe. I mean it’s so hard to tell if it’s because of the minute adjustment knob or if it’s really clearer.

As for me, the Kowa has been sold, I still have the Nikon. With the eBay deals, about $500 for the Nikon set new, I think it’s by far the best glass made for that price range and right up there with the better. Now if Swaro comes out with some crazy fancy 50mm, I’ll probably still take the Nikon for 1/4 if the price.

Ronb

WKR
I switched to the 553 after owning the swaro ATS HD with the 25-50. I spent about two weeks with those two scopes. I went ahead and sold the swaro after determining that there was just not a big enough difference between the Kowa and the swaro, optically. I suspect that in most every category, except size and weight the swaro was slightly better. It was very close. I borrowed my buddies vortex 50mm to compare with the other two. I did not have to get behind that glass for five seconds to realize how inferior it was. There’s no way I could go back to that quality of scope after owning the swaro or the Kowa. Fyi, I used to own the ed50, and found the vortex 50 and it very comparable. The little 50mm scopes look awesome when light is good. But when conditions get tough, they tend to not be able to hang with the big boys. I would say 5% between swaro and Kowa. Much bigger step down to the 50’s. IMO. BTW, thats the 553 in a Vortex sleeve.
95ae6e16179f06677fb075dc35b81fbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a 553 for a smoking deal, $1009 thinking it would be amazingly better than the Nikon ED50.

At one time I had a Vortex Razor Gen 2 85mm, Swaro STS 65mm, Nikon ED 50, Nikon ED III 60, Nikon ED 82. I sold everything but the nikons.

After buying the Kowa 553, here’s my comparison:

Adjustments go to the Kowa, has 2 knobs one is super fine adjustment. It is light, not nearly as lite as the Nikon. The eyepiece has good eyerelief for glasses.

Weight goes to the Nikon, flexibility goes to the Nikon with all the eyepieces available and the fact they they switch between the 50/60/82mm.

Optical, I would say the Kowa is MAYBE 5% better, big maybe. I mean it’s so hard to tell if it’s because of the minute adjustment knob or if it’s really clearer.

As for me, the Kowa has been sold, I still have the Nikon. With the eBay deals, about $500 for the Nikon set new, I think it’s by far the best glass made for that price range and right up there with the better. Now if Swaro comes out with some crazy fancy 50mm, I’ll probably still take the Nikon for 1/4 if the price.

Does the mcII eyepiece work in both the ED50 and the ed82? That’s a very intriguing setup...

EastMT

WKR
Yes they all are interchangeable with the older fieldscopes. There’s another thread about this, I’ll see if I can find it

EastMT

WKR
Nikon Fieldscope 13-30x50 video review

mcseal2

WKR
I had the ED50 and a Swaro STM65. Then I got the Kowa 554 and sold them both. The Kowa matched the Swaro in clarity and hung really close in low light. The ED50 is darn good for it's price and size, but it couldn't match the Kowa in any category. The only real downside to the Kowa even compared to a really good 65 I could find was the field of view. I primarily use binos off a tripod until I have something found I want a closer look at, so this wasn't a deal breaker to me. If someone spent hours behind a spotter you might want to step up to a 65 anyway. It will have more FOV and be a bit easier to steady with the extra weight.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

The less know opticron mm4 I mentioned the eye pieces have interchangeability also and the mm4 have dual focus knobs as well (I have a 80mm HR body from them that only is a single knob but the mm4 are dual). That’s where it would be cool to compare that 50mm and the Nikon.

??? it’s not a 50... Graned it’s not far off, it’s a great scope (as is the swaro 65) but it’s not the topic the OP was asking about. He asked about the 50s of which their isn’t an alpha glass contender thus it’s irrelevant to mention the larger objective alpha options. He didn’t ask SHOULD he get a 50mm of which such suggestions would factor he asked for a comparison of the true 50mm (arguably tier 2) spotters which honestly I do find curios and bringing up kowa 55 and swaro 65 are just a distraction from the distinct topic started.

Who really cares if the objective diameter is 50 or 55 or 65? The main driver for wanting a smaller or bigger is weight vs performance, right? The Vortex 50mm is 24oz, the Kowa 553/554 is 28oz, so not far off. If the 553 was much heavier than the 50's mentioned I'd agree it doesn't need to be considered. But since it's so close why not throw it in?

tdhanses

WKR
I switched to the 553 after owning the swaro ATS HD with the 25-50. I spent about two weeks with those two scopes. I went ahead and sold the swaro after determining that there was just not a big enough difference between the Kowa and the swaro, optically. I suspect that in most every category, except size and weight the swaro was slightly better. It was very close. I borrowed my buddies vortex 50mm to compare with the other two. I did not have to get behind that glass for five seconds to realize how inferior it was. There’s no way I could go back to that quality of scope after owning the swaro or the Kowa. Fyi, I used to own the ed50, and found the vortex 50 and it very comparable. The little 50mm scopes look awesome when light is good. But when conditions get tough, they tend to not be able to hang with the big boys. I would say 5% between swaro and Kowa. Much bigger step down to the 50’s. IMO. BTW, thats the 553 in a Vortex sleeve.
95ae6e16179f06677fb075dc35b81fbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the exact same experience, I also sold my swaro and kept the Kowa 553.

tdhanses

WKR
Who really cares if the objective diameter is 50 or 55 or 65? The main driver for wanting a smaller or bigger is weight vs performance, right? The Vortex 50mm is 24oz, the Kowa 553/554 is 28oz, so not far off. If the 553 was much heavier than the 50's mentioned I'd agree it doesn't need to be considered. But since it's so close why not throw it in?

Because we already know the answer. So to me the review would be more helpful to those that can spend the coin on the Kowa.

sndmn11

WKR
The less know opticron mm4 I mentioned the eye pieces have interchangeability also and the mm4 have dual focus knobs as well (I have a 80mm HR body from them that only is a single knob but the mm4 are dual). That’s where it would be cool to compare that 50mm and the Nikon.

I keep meaning to sit down and write my year review of the the 60mm MM4 they sent out to me. The total weight is about 36oz, and I am too lazy to look up the weights of what has been mentioned. When I was on a search for a lightweight spotter I was initially looking at 50mm, and then found that there is only 4oz difference between the 50mm adn 60mm versions.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I keep meaning to sit down and write my year review of the the 60mm MM4 they sent out to me. The total weight is about 36oz, and I am too lazy to look up the weights of what has been mentioned. When I was on a search for a lightweight spotter I was initially looking at 50mm, and then found that there is only 4oz difference between the 50mm adn 60mm versions.

yeah the 60mm is a solid choice, just mentioning the 50mm per the thread.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Vortex 50. I do not have the Nikon anymore.

I would do this comparison, but I don’t want to take on liability for borrowed optics.

So... if we waive that you’ll do it or you’re gonna pass? ;)

I am personally not too worried about you abusing my mm4 and if something shitty like your car gets broken into that is just bad luck that could just as easily happen to me.

I confess to having an optics fetish, but since buying my Nikon ED50, I have never looked for another spotter. It checks all the boxes and I hardly even know it's there, it's so light and compact.

EastMT

WKR
So here’s the moral of the story, one of us sells the Swaro for the Kowa, one of us sells the Kowa for the Nikon, one of us sells the Nikon for the Swaro........

Everyone’s eyes are different, and the one you like best may be the one I like least. If you can find a way to look through them in real world settings that’s the best way, in stores they all look amazing. You have to decide what the price point you are willing to pay for what % better image for your eyes. There is some amazing glass that I can’t use, due to my glasses I can’t stand looking through them.

It’s a rabbit hole, but a fun one once you find your match.

Because we already know the answer. So to me the review would be more helpful to those that can spend the coin on the Kowa.

It would be useful to assess what you get for what you spend, IMO. I can't believe no one has yet to compare the Maven compact to the Kowa, at least that I've seen.