50mm Spotting scope shootout.

Ronb

WKR
There are probably 10 significant variables when choosing the right spotter for you. Things like size, weight, sharpness, resolution, field of view, cost, durability, warranty and resale. There’s certainly a bunch more, and everyone is going to put them in different order as far as what’s most important to them. After owning the Swarovski, I never expected to ever want to give up anything optically. But after using the Kowa, the size, usability and weight won out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
So... if we waive that you’ll do it or you’re gonna pass? ;)

I am personally not too worried about you abusing my mm4 and if something shitty like your car gets broken into that is just bad luck that could just as easily happen to me.

I am not opposed to doing a comparison with some or all of the 50-55mm spotters. However, there are quite a bit of logistics, and the comparison doesn’t allow for much actual field use, unless I have volunteer to Sherpa around a duffle bag of compact spotters...

The other pitfall is that sometimes these turn into less of review, and more of a beauty contest:

“I got seven buddies together and we had 12 scopes set up side by side. 3 preferred Brand X, 2 preferred Brand Y, and 2 preferred Brand Z.”

Those kinds of “reviews” don’t interest me much. I like to compare and contrast actual performance areas like apparent resolution, brightness, distortion, aberration control, etc.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am not opposed to doing a comparison with some or all of the 50-55mm spotters. However, there are quite a bit of logistics, and the comparison doesn’t allow for much actual field use, unless I have volunteer to Sherpa around a duffle bag of compact spotters...

The other pitfall is that sometimes these turn into less of review, and more of a beauty contest:

“I got seven buddies together and we had 12 scopes set up side by side. 3 preferred Brand X, 2 preferred Brand Y, and 2 preferred Brand Z.”

Those kinds of “reviews” don’t interest me much. I like to compare and contrast actual performance areas like apparent resolution, brightness, distortion, aberration control, etc.

They’re 2lb spotters no Sherpa needed. ;)

I hear ya though. But if interested I can send ya the mm4 50mm for a number of months, I just finished my last hunt till end of July.

yes I know what your reviews touch on thus why I tagged you. :)

Jason__G

FNG
So how about an objective test that individuals could do any then consolidate the results? Sort of like an eye chart for spotters that you put out at a fixed distance and then try to read.

2blade

WKR
So how about an objective test that individuals could do any then consolidate the results? Sort of like an eye chart for spotters that you put out at a fixed distance and then try to read.

Exactly, like was done here

Tahoe1305

WKR
So being the one who posted the above....I’m personally not confident individuals could each “grade” the pieces they have (even using a standard chart and distances) and it be a fair comparison. All eyes are different. And even though I tried to be as objective as possible, I’ll admit sometime it was close and I had to say this one was better by a hair or something.

Not saying it can’t be done, just saying the results would be more suspect than a single person(or co-located group) doing it for all scopes. My 2 cents.

tdot

WKR

I think the Beauty Pagent reviews are a waste of time. Especially given the hopeful inclusion of the Kowa in this group. 😉 We each have different priorities and I personally prefer a review that gathers and quantifies as much available data as possible. Yet presents it in such away that the end user can make an informed decision.

Having someone experienced quantify the optical data is such a huge asset. Even if it narrows a list of 10 scopes down to 2 or 3 for each of us to make a final decision on, that in itself is helpful.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think the Beauty Pagent reviews are a waste of time. Especially given the hopeful inclusion of the Kowa in this group. 😉 We each have different priorities and I personally prefer a review that gathers and quantifies as much available data as possible. Yet presents it in such away that the end user can make an informed decision.

Having someone experienced quantify the optical data is such a huge asset. Even if it narrows a list of 10 scopes down to 2 or 3 for each of us to make a final decision on, that in itself is helpful.

Its why I ping'd Matt and offered up a scope for ~5mo if needed, his reviews are some of the most detailed and just puts out the results, you can weigh the benefits out and decide from there.

tdot

WKR
Its why I ping'd Matt and offered up a scope for ~5mo if needed, his reviews are some of the most detailed and just puts out the results, you can weigh the benefits out and decide from there.

100% agree. I think that was a great suggestion. Thanks for doing that. 👍

ZackP

WKR
Would love to see a Maven S2 included in this, or even a head to head with the Kowa/Razor. Personally had the Razor 50 and wasn’t a fan past 20x!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wow, I wasn't expecting this kind of participation. But I'm surely grateful. A little history of myself. I've been using Swarovski scopes for at least 17 years. Currently I have the ATX setup with the 65mm objective and and the 95mm objective and also the BTX. BTX and 95mm objective is for scouting from a truck and the 65mm is and has been my backpacking scope which I truley love. But as I stated in the original post I'm looking to drop weight. In the long run I may decide that its just not worth it to drop from the 65mm swaro to less objective size and less quality but at this time I;m very interested. I plan on using it on top of the "Snipe Pod" tripod system which again would be a huge savings in weight as compared to my size small compact Outddorsmans tripod. thanks for the responses I've really enjoyed your thoughts. And yes Leupold and anybody elses name brand would be a consideration. At this time I'm leaning toward the TSN 501 because I like its weight and price. I've already got a lot of money tied up in optics and I'm not sure I want to spend big money on a 50mm until I figure out wether or not I like the system. But all name brands are an interest for me. I don't mind including the 55mm's for fun but probably would not get one because size adds weight. Thanks again. Fatrascal.
That 55 Kowa weighs less than your binos...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
So here’s the moral of the story, one of us sells the Swaro for the Kowa, one of us sells the Kowa for the Nikon, one of us sells the Nikon for the Swaro........

Everyone’s eyes are different, and the one you like best may be the one I like least. If you can find a way to look through them in real world settings that’s the best way, in stores they all look amazing. You have to decide what the price point you are willing to pay for what % better image for your eyes. There is some amazing glass that I can’t use, due to my glasses I can’t stand looking through them.

It’s a rabbit hole, but a fun one once you find your match.
I think you missed the moral of the story... two guys sold their other optics for the Kowa 55 lol

sneaky

"DADDY"

I got free time these days if you need help

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I guess there was no shoot out!

I have used most of the 50-55 spotters except the Maven and tested them on an optics chart as well as just looking through them at game and birds.

I borrowed a Kowa 55 for a weekend and it is the top of the heap as you'd hope for such an expensive piece of gear, but I didn't like the eye-relief as an eye glass wearing guy. It went 1-2 graduations past the Vortex 50 on the resolution chart and had better contrast. Usable right to 45X in good light and decent field of view and I'd say is an excellent instrument. I liked the old 60mm Kowa Prominar better and it was almost as light though... even the non-prominar Kowa comes close and is way cheaper! For 9 more oz I also like the Leupold HD 12-40x60 which resolved as well or almost as well in different light conditions and seems brighter, with much better eye-relief.

The Vortex 11-33X 50 in an angled configuration I liked well enough to buy. It has an extra-ordinarily great focus wheel which tricks you into thinking it's better than it is as getting the most precise focus is a snap. Good resolution..great eye-relief at 11x that peters out a bit as you move up. Decent contrast but the field of view gets a bit sparse. I'd rate it as very good and a good value.

The Nikon ED50 is similar in resolution to the Vortex but the eye-box is pretty much unusable with the zoom as the eye-relief is so bad.

The Minox I am trying to sell. Bad eye-relief and heavy for it's size. Optically not up to the Nikon or Vortex on the resolution chart and pretty unremarkable. The Focus is stiff and makes it very hard to use. I pretty much hate it.

The Leupold 15-30x50 is another one I haven't used..but I do have a 1987 20x50 Gold Ring. It's a non-phase coated roof prism (unlike the porro-prism on the newer model) As such it's bright and light with great eye-relief but a bit muddy on the resolution chart and it resolves less than even the Minox. Still, I love it. the eye relief is nearly an inch and it is so easy to pack we sometimes use it as a second spotter Sheep hunting. Works well with the Kramer designs mini-tripod and 28 oz with a spotter and tripod is pretty great.

As soon as you use a good bigger spotter these little guys really show their limitations but they are easy to carry.

Last edited: