556 vs 6.5 creedmor

Tmac

WKR
A Savage 110 Prairie hunter, in 224 Valkyrie, might be worth a look. Marlin may make a bolt offering too. The 224 should stay supersonic to longer range than a Grendel. More like a 6.5CM in that regard. I like the Grendel and own both cartridges. Now that Grendel case necked down to 6mm, hummm, that may be the ticket.

dr_mateo

FNG
I'm looking to build or buy my first long range coyote gun, wanting to start cheap and upgrade to a better barrel and trigger in a year. Where I hunt I've got clear shots at 1200 plus yards so want to reasonably shoot to 1000. Would you choose a 6.5 or 556 caliber in an AR platform? Also if you've got brand recommendations you'd like to share I'd appreciate it. TIA

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The 6.5mm Grendel is the only way to go for a long range coyote gun extremely accurate.

OP

Am going to suppose that you're new at this. If so, some things to think about:

>Most people on this forum have no interest in shooting 1000 yards for the same reason 200' fly lines would never be popular.
>Fewer yet have ever looked at a 1000 yard target.
>Fewer yet have shot at a 1000 yard target.
>Fewer yet have shot at a coyote at 1000 yards.
>Even fewer, there are less than a handful of people on Rokslide that can truthfully claim a coyote kill at 1000 yards.

I love hunting coyotes. Without hesitation I can tell you that hunting with coyote calibers like hotter 22s, 204R, and 17Rem are the most fun. Also understand that none of them are much good (worthless) for steering or killing out to 1000 yards. To shoot 1000 yards you need a deer caliber, and deer calibers are much less fun (subjective preference) for coyote hunting. Regardless, every 1000 yard poke at a coyote is a squandered calling or stalking opportunity.

Many of the posts here reveal some misunderstandings about 6.5m and 6m cal cartridges. One is that the 6m+ bullet sizes are way overkill for coyotes. Two is, none of them shoot mild, flat and fast like the 17, 204, or hot 22s. For example, the 6 or 6.5 Grendel equates to running the Griswold Family Truckster in a super comp drag race.

Back to the fly line comparison: For the trout angler, 100% of the action happens within a fraction of 100'. Go where the action is!

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
I’ve got an AR I built to shoot tactical matches. I can pretty consistently hit 1K targets with it,it all depends on how well I’m reading the wind, but there is no energy left. It barely moves the steel. Until the Magneto speed flashers came out, it was hard to tell thru the scope whether you had hit them or not. Grendel isn’t much better. Neither is the Valkyrie. Case capacity kills all of the small frame rounds. Contrary to what has been posted above it’s not very expensive to build a good AR. You need a good barrel and bolt and a good trigger. The rest is mostly cosmetic.
If I was going to build a long range coyote gun it would be a fast twist 6mm bolt gun. A medium weight 6 BR would be nice. Large frame gassers are a lot harder to shoot accurately IMO.