560" elk

miller1

these are farm raised so dont shoot me, i met a lady this weekend at the farmers market selling pieces of elk antler for dog chews ($25 a lb) and got talking to her, they own a elk ranch here in Michigan and she offered to give us a tour, they have 120 elk and the big one is 560", he said he would have went over 600" but he messed it up in a fence, just thought i would put a few pics on her.

Attachments

Lukem

jesus, some genes there!
I'd guess that within a few generations on free range diet, they'd be nothing more than a good 6x. Maternal effect is huge in pen raised animals. Probably little difference genetics wise than wild elk, other than being a little on the better side of average.

bobhunts

Yes they are not free roaming elk. And they would not grow that way in the wild but the one on the right in pic 5 looks like the spider bull!

Jon Pynch

So.... that bull just stood there while they ran a tape on him.... Ed F
from what i've heard they just put a tape on last years sheds and guesstimate from there. wouldn't be very hard to be real accurate.

edit to add, wow, been reading here for a while. lame first post:) sorry

OP
miller1

miller1

So.... that bull just stood there while they ran a tape on him.... Ed F
actually yes they do, they run them down into a cattle chute and hold them from with a hydraulic gate, they tape them and cut off the antlers.