5mm Axis match vs Black eagle rampage 300 spine

KBC

WKR
Im currently shooting the 5mm Axis match in 300 spine. My arrows weigh about 535 grains. Just switching to the BE rampage in 300 spine will cut almost 60 grains if all my component weights stay the same since the arrows are 2 grains lighter per inch.

The BE 250 spine is the same weight and dimensions as the 5mm axis 300 spine.

Are the BE’s actually the same spine as the Axis at 300 or is the thinner wall an equivalent to say the Axis 340 spine?

I think I’m over thinking.

You're overthinking it. The standard method of testing static spine is to hang a 1.94 lb weight from the center of a 28" span of shaft and measure how much the shaft bends. A 300 spine Axis and 300 spine Rampage will both bend 0.300" (plus or minus whatever the manufacturer deems to be acceptable variation) under the standard test conditions. A Rampage is presumably made from higher modulus carbon than an Axis, which is why a Rampage can produce the same stiffness with a thinner wall.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Cool thanks. This is exactly what I needed to hear but now I need to google higher modulus carbon and why it’s 1.94 lbs.

TX_Diver

WKR
You're probably aware, but the axis seems to be significantly more durable than the rampage IMO. I switched from rampages to axis and have been happy even though I lost a little speed.

The rampage with an HIT insert instead of the black eagle half-out is a pretty good arrow still though.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
I am concerned a bit about durability but the price of the Match grade Axis shafts, plus the 50 grain brass insert, plus the Ironwill Titanium collar that I'm using now is getting silly vs the Black eagle that comes with 50 grains of components up from to replace all the extras I've been throwing on the front.

Will I break more arrows to even out the cost? I better stop hitting the steel elk we have at the range and start hitting the 6" hole more often ;) At 50 yards I can hit steel with my current arrows and usually still be able to shoot them out of my 71 lb, 30"DL Axis ultra