$6,000 taxidermy bill. ooch

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
The mount is YOUR PROPERTY and you can post any photo of it you wish. The taxi has no right to claim copyright w/o your expressed permission. Did you sign anything giving him such authorization? If he is using your mount to promote his business, he is the one taking advantage. And any photos you take are all yours without question. If you do not want pictures of your mount used for promotional purposes and never agreed to allow this you can demand he take them down. The only exception would be if you okayed the mount to be publicly displayed and then he took photos. If he did in the privacy of his shop without your permission, he has no right to display them until & unless you authorize it. It's YOUR PROPERTY THAT YOU PAID FOR. The fact that you hired him to perform the work doesn't automatically transfer copyrights to him.
It was a JOKE! Of course the pics are not copyrighted!!!! This could fall in the category of everyone just looking for a reason to get pissed, so they look right thru the common sense.....

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have that same mount and it cost me $1600 (just taxi fees), about 10 years ago. I imagine the price is probably a little higher these days, but even if it's now $2k for that same mount, that's another $3k for shipping? By way of comparison, I can have a full size pick up truck (upwards of 7500 lbs.), shipped from Seattle to Anchorage for about $1200-1500.

How can you get a truck shipped so cheap? Last vehicle I barged up was over 3k on AML.

How can you get a truck shipped so cheap? Last vehicle I barged up was over 3k on AML.

IDK, I was just recently looking at a truck down in Seattle and they (dealership), said shipping ranges $1200-1500 depending on the vehicle. They said that they had shipped several vehicles up to Anchorage in the last year and that’s what it was running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
IDK, I was just recently looking at a truck down in Seattle and they (dealership), said shipping ranges $1200-1500 depending on the vehicle. They said that they had shipped several vehicles up to Anchorage in the last year and that’s what it was running.

Interesting, I should call around. Perhaps fewer people are shipping so they are dropping rates to get more business.

I have that same mount and it cost me $1600 (just taxi fees), about 10 years ago. I imagine the price is probably a little higher these days, but even if it's now $2k for that same mount, that's another $3k for shipping? By way of comparison, I can have a full size pick up truck (upwards of 7500 lbs.), shipped from Seattle to Anchorage for about $1200-1500.
I’m don’t remember exactly how we arrived at the $5k, but that’s where we would up for finished product crated and shipped to NW Florida.

Maybe competitive price because talking to dealership. Might have their own car hauler and load it up with lots of cars going both ways.
?????

Josey D

FNG
They may get some sort of break on shipping IDK, but pretty much everything, vehicle wise, is barged up.
Yeah they must be cutting you a break because we ship a lot of trucks up & its closer to $1800-$1900 & thats in the transportation industry.

BAKPAKR

WKR
If OP posts a photo of his moose trophy and it is what I think it is, I suspect many of you will be surprised.

GotDraw?

WKR
The mount is YOUR PROPERTY and you can post any photo of it you wish. The taxi has no right to claim copyright w/o your expressed permission. Did you sign anything giving him such authorization? If he is using your mount to promote his business, he is the one taking advantage. And any photos you take are all yours without question. If you do not want pictures of your mount used for promotional purposes and never agreed to allow this you can demand he take them down. The only exception would be if you okayed the mount to be publicly displayed and then he took photos. If he did in the privacy of his shop without your permission, he has no right to display them until & unless you authorize it. It's YOUR PROPERTY THAT YOU PAID FOR. The fact that you hired him to perform the work doesn't automatically transfer copyrights to him.
@Where's Bruce? -- it was a joke brother! Just playing on the fact that the taxidermy bill seemed high and taking it up a notch.

That said, for point of reference, I had a 61" Yukon bull moose done as a euro and it + shipping was shockingly expensive. So much so that the cost of a full mount + another euro by OP of this thread does not seem too crazy. It is friggin' expensive to get taxidermy done in Canada when they also need to deal with export paperwork, crating and international shipping. Shipping costs are nuts!

JL

Last edited:
Shipping from Canada to the US has really become quite a racket. Single animal fleshing, expediting and shipping (no tanning, taxidermy or butchering) was well over $1k for each of my last several critters. The bright spot was when I hunted with Conne River in NL. They shipped everything (hide, horns, and processed meat) via truck to a centralized spot about 100 miles from my house for a very reasonable price (don’t remember precisely but it was nowhere near $1k including butchering).

It was actually cheaper to have my Snow Sheep shipped from the Russian Far East than it was for my Dall Sheep from NWT. Go figure.

GotDraw?

WKR
In all seriousness, ANYONE hunting in Canada should consider the cost of renting a car/truck and driving the frozen meat, rack and salted pelt to the nearest US town and shipping from there.

If there are a group of you hunting, send one guy to drive it and you could literally save thousands of dollars. Then the driver drives back to group to fly home.

JL

My outfitter in Alberta arranged for both my moose meat and euro mount to be brought back to the states by a regular client who lived in MT and drove to Canada. The then shipped the ice chests to me in CA. It was easy and reasonably priced, even with a generous thank you bonus to the American hunters who brought my chests across. Only bummer was the taxi totally botched the preservation of the velvet...I took mine during archery season well before the rut.