6.2L v8 or 3.0 duramax

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m going round and round. Going with Chevy, so ford and Ram are out. Trying to figure out which engine I want. Both come with 10 speed automatics. It’ll be mostly a daily driver, 8-9k a year. No plans on towing and if I end up towing it’ll be a light bumper pull camper trailer. The 6.2 has ridiculous power, the 3.0 has great mileage. Resale is a big factor as well, good chance I sell in 3-4 years.

ElkNut1

WKR
With only 8-9 thousand miles a year either would suit you! The gasser will have quicker power & better passing gears from 55 onward. -- I drove the 3.0 a week ago & was not impressed with power. It needs a Turbo. I've heard they're coming out with one but would go with the gasser at this point.

P.S. the mileage on the diesel is awesome in comparison to the gas models. If that's important then yes it's a coin flip! Power verses mileage????

ElkNut

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a 3.0 for about 4 months and 9k miles. Like Elknut said above, it doesn't have a ton of get up and go, but the mileage is great. I'm averaging 25 with mixed highway and backroad driving and not trying to take it easy everywhere. This is a 4wd crew cab standard bed, so about as hard on mileage as you can get without a lift. Its extremely comfortable and everyone I meet is always surprised by how quiet it is. I towed an old tractor with disk and had a atv in the bed and got 16mpg on the highway running 70. Again, it wouldn't get going in a hurry, but I'm guessing mileage would have been single digits with the 6.2. I don't have any regrets. The question mark would be the resale with them being as new as they are, but got to imagine it would be pretty good.

Feel free to ask any questions.

wyosteve

WKR
For the relatively minimal miles you'll be driving, I'd go with the gas engine. Diesels don't do well if they sit long because of the DEF deterioration. Plus with those few miles, the cost savings likely won't offset the increased cost. Fwiw, my daily driver is gas, but have a diesel for towing heavy.

tdhanses

WKR
Man I love my 3.0 duramax, so happy I went with it and there is no price increase for it over the 6.2. With fuel prices going up it’s been very economical, I’ve been averaging 22mpg mixed and 27mpg when mainly hwy. Def consumption isn’t bad at all unless you are towing then she’ll drink it a little more.

Like all manufacturers some people have had issues but the majority are trouble free. Below was cruising on a 2 lane, I’ve yet to run an entire tank on the hwy. My mpg hand calculated is always better then what the computer says.

She tows ok, not like a 3/4 ton I had, the rear feels soft but I think better shocks will help with that. Overall, I’m extremely happy with it. I went with the GMC SLT premium, personally the GMC’s look better then the chevy’s, lol. Go drive one, it isn’t a race car but it is a cruiser.

8A2B0FDE-A6BB-433E-9423-C9E69687E168.jpeg

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
With the modern diesels, I wouldn’t have one for a daily driver unless you are driving a lot of wide open miles. Stop and go, idling can be rough with the new systems if they don’t heat up enough to clear out. After working in a diesel shop where the trucks spent a lot of time stop and go, idle, slow speeds, cold weather, I watched too many hours staring at a laptop trying to get them to re-Gen, def complete system replacements after a year or 2.

2014 Chevy 2500hd here, 91k, all over from Haul road, Denali Hwy, Alcan, all the way south Texas towing from -50 to 110 deg, knock on wood nothing but oil/tires/battery in 7 years. That’s a 6.0, not familiar with the 6.2 gasser, hoping for another 200k out of this one, by then trucks will be $100k new!

tdhanses

WKR
With only 8-9 thousand miles a year either would suit you! The gasser will have quicker power & better passing gears from 55 onward. -- I drove the 3.0 a week ago & was not impressed with power. It needs a Turbo. I've heard they're coming out with one but would go with the gasser at this point.

P.S. the mileage on the diesel is awesome in comparison to the gas models. If that's important then yes it's a coin flip! Power verses mileage????

ElkNut
It has a turbo, mine will go just fine for a diesel and has zero issues pulling a grade pulling 7k lbs. But yup it isn’t fast like the 6.2 but it gets out of its way and can pass just fine.

tdhanses

WKR
For the relatively minimal miles you'll be driving, I'd go with the gas engine. Diesels don't do well if they sit long because of the DEF deterioration. Plus with those few miles, the cost savings likely won't offset the increased cost. Fwiw, my daily driver is gas, but have a diesel for towing heavy.
Just a heads up, the diesel is cheaper then the 6.2, no increase for it, it’s only $950 more then the 5.3 with an 8speed vs the 10 speed tranny the diesel gets as well.

ElkNut1

WKR
tdhanses, The one I drove you say has the turbo? I would not have guessed that, I didn't think it did. By the way I drove a black on black one 2021 4 door short box, they wanted 48 for it. It was a beautiful truck but not what we were looking for! Thanks!

ElkNut

tdhanses

WKR
tdhanses, The one I drove you say has the turbo? I would not have guessed that, I didn't think it did. By the way I drove a black on black one 2021 4 door short box, they wanted 48 for it. It was a beautiful truck but not what we were looking for! Thanks!

ElkNut
Yup, they don’t make a non turbo model, only one engine configuration.

Also it’s the quickest of all the 1/2 ton diesels and faster get up and go then the Colorado diesel.

But really don’t buy a diesel for quick speed, it’s towing and cruising where they shine.

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, its get up & go from the start or slower speeds were very good! It was once you were in the 55-60 mph & stepped on it as if you needed to accelerate & pass someone, that's where it suffered! I have the 2020 ZR2 V6 & it would easily have much more passing umph at those speeds.

My Son owns a 3/4 ton 4x4 Duramax, it's pumped up & it is a freaking rocket! No kidding, it will flat set you back in your seat. I suppose if a guy messed with the 3.0 where legal he could get better response out of it when needed. It is a very nice truck. I felt the ZR2 2.8 diesel had better all around response too. They all have their place for sure but when I spend near 50 on something I'd like to be wowed at least a little bit! (grin)

ElkNut

deadwolf

WKR
Sold my 05 Duramax back in October and bought a 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 with the 3.0 Turbo duramax. So far I couldn’t be happier in the purchase. It doesn’t have the power my old 6.6 had, but it has plenty. It’s not like I’m out there trying to drag race everybody so who cares if it doesn’t pull hard off the line? I run mine in “sport” mode the majority of the time because it is more responsive for everyday driving. I absolutely hate the auto stop feature and turn it off the second I get in. The 10 speed transmission is super smooth. My mileage reflects the other posters above, and that is awesome. Was able to get a first responder discount through GMC, Costco discount, and was already marked down $6000...I can’t complain at all

So far I’ve added a ready lift leveling kit, tinted the front windows, aluminum rolling tonneau cover, and gorhino side steps, but this pic is from the day I bought it.

a888b13ee045911784510d098b4d2fc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Sold my 05 Duramax back in October and bought a 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 with the 3.0 Turbo duramax. So far I couldn’t be happier in the purchase. It doesn’t have the power my old 6.6 had, but it has plenty. It’s not like I’m out there trying to drag race everybody so who cares if it doesn’t pull hard off the line? I run mine in “sport” mode the majority of the time because it is more responsive for everyday driving. I absolutely hate the auto stop feature and turn it off the second I get in. My mileage reflects the other posters above, and that is awesome. Was able to get a first responder discount through GMC, Costco discount, and was already marked down $6000...I can’t complain at all

a888b13ee045911784510d098b4d2fc9.jpg

Google auto stop eliminator, best $90 I’ve spent on it, I hate that stupid feature.

tdhanses

WKR
Yes, its get up & go from the start or slower speeds were very good! It was once you were in the 55-60 mph & stepped on it as if you needed to accelerate & pass someone, that's where it suffered! I have the 2020 ZR2 V6 & it would easily have much more passing umph at those speeds.

My Son owns a 3/4 ton 4x4 Duramax, it's pumped up & it is a freaking rocket! No kidding, it will flat set you back in your seat. I suppose if a guy messed with the 3.0 where legal he could get better response out of it when needed. It is a very nice truck. I felt the ZR2 2.8 diesel had better all around response too. They all have their place for sure but when I spend near 50 on something I'd like to be wowed at least a little bit! (grin)

ElkNut
Haha, we all have our wants and desires, I guess I drive like an old man and don’t hammer on mine to pass people, lol. I do like going 600+ miles on a 24 gal tank of fuel, I’ll take that over the throw you back in the seat the 6.2 gives.

ElkNut1

WKR
TD, I agree 100% on the mileage & not being a fast driver, (I'm 66 today) This truck is for my Son so driving it was in his behalf, he tows toys so was concerned with pulling grades. I could be happy with it but I could tell that power difference; was just being honest & not sugar coating it. They're good rigs. My Son & I both own chevy's! (grin)

tdhanses

WKR
TD, I agree 100% on the mileage & not being a fast driver, (I'm 66 today) This truck is for my Son so driving it was in his behalf, he tows toys so was concerned with pulling grades. I could be happy with it but I could tell that power difference; was just being honest & not sugar coating it. They're good rigs. My Son & I both own chevy's! (grin)
Based on his last pickup, he’ll want the 6.6 diesel, that thing is a beast and still gets decent mileage.

deadwolf

WKR
Based on his last pickup, he’ll want the 6.6 diesel, that thing is a beast and still gets decent mileage.

One thing that shocked me in the new 2500s is how physically BIG they are!! My new 1/2 ton is the same size as my old 3/4, and the new ones are just as you said.....beasts!

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, we noticed their size as well. My Sons is fair sized as well, it's the year before they added the DEF low hanging tank. He's keeping his present truck but was looking for a Toy! He's a diesel guy at heart & wouldn't by a gas rig at all.

Hopefully in some way these posts are assisting the thread starter!

ElkNut

tdhanses

WKR
One thing that shocked me in the new 2500s is how physically BIG they are!! My new 1/2 ton is the same size as my old 3/4, and the new ones are just as you said.....beasts!

Yeah I had a 2019 3/4ton Ford, it was huge and really was a pain to take anywhere that is a city.

Something else, this 1/2ton diesel has more power then early 90’s 3/4tons and close to the same as late 90’s, we just have been spoiled in the last 8 years and the power coming out of 3/4 tons now is insane when you think back to even 2006.

Personally I’d like to see GM put the 3.0 in a 3/4 ton and obtain similar unloaded mileage as it gets in the 1/2 ton yet be more stable towing in the wind, I don’t need the bigger diesel or extra towing ability of a 3/4ton but there is a big difference in the wind.

Last edited: