6.2L v8 or 3.0 duramax

I looked briefly at the 3.0 but upon reading that the oil pump is belt driven with a 150k interval and it’s located at the back of the engine so you have to remove the transmission to get to it I decided to take a pass.

Something that’s as important as an oil pump should not be belt driven. If it is, it should be in an easier(and cheaper) area to access. Maybe people won’t have problems with them, but I can see someone riding down the road and the belt snaps at 70mph. By the time you get stopped you may need a new engine.

Again, a worst case scenario but just bad overall engineering IMO. Even without that risk, the cost to have it replaced(or the time required to DIY) is off putting as well.

deadwolf

WKR
I looked briefly at the 3.0 but upon reading that the oil pump is belt driven with a 150k interval and it’s located at the back of the engine so you have to remove the transmission to get to it I decided to take a pass.

Something that’s as important as an oil pump should not be belt driven. If it is, it should be in an easier(and cheaper) area to access. Maybe people won’t have problems with them, but I can see someone riding down the road and the belt snaps at 70mph. By the time you get stopped you may need a new engine.

Again, a worst case scenario but just bad overall engineering IMO. Even without that risk, the cost to have it replaced(or the time required to DIY) is off putting as well.

That’s been beat to death in the forums and answered by GM a thousand times over. Only time will tell when people start getting the mileage on that engine. Everyone has their acceptability of risk, and to me it’s definitely not worrisome enough to sway me into not purchasing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah the belt is a none issue, its more people being afraid, Ford has plenty of timing belt engines that if they fail will ruin a motor. If the oil pump belt breaks you’ll have time to shut it down and get towed.

tdhanses

WKR

So what is the cost and time? From what I’ve seen doesn’t look to be a bad job at all.

C.Cass

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a GMC Sierra AT4 with the 3.0. Can’t say enough positive things about it. Tons of power when you need it and the fuel economy is out of this world good. Like others I get around 22-24 mixed and 28+ when strictly hwy.

den57

FNG
Got this one last November. 2021 LTZ/Z71, LM2 3.0. Best so far has been 30.9 Had 1,000 LBS of river rock in the bed doing 80 mph on the interstate and getting 26 mpg....

ENCaoVE.jpg

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
With only 8-9 thousand miles a year either would suit you! The gasser will have quicker power & better passing gears from 55 onward. -- I drove the 3.0 a week ago & was not impressed with power. It needs a Turbo. I've heard they're coming out with one but would go with the gasser at this point.

P.S. the mileage on the diesel is awesome in comparison to the gas models. If that's important then yes it's a coin flip! Power verses mileage????

ElkNut
Did you drive the Chevy? I believe it does have a turbo.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, we both took it out. It's a nice truck for sure. I'd own it, for the life of me I could not tell a turbo ever kicked in. I've driven both Ford & Chevy diesels with turbos & I can generally hear that turbo whine when engaged. Maybe I was just expecting more? Gotta love that mileage though! What is that 3.0 running cost wise in your parts?

ElkNut

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yes, we both took it out. It's a nice truck for sure. I'd own it, for the life of me I could not tell a turbo ever kicked in. I've driven both Ford & Chevy diesels with turbos & I can generally hear that turbo whine when engaged. Maybe I was just expecting more? Gotta love that mileage though! What is that 3.0 running cost wise in your parts?

ElkNut
6.2 and 3.0 are both 2950 adds over the 5.3.

tdhanses

WKR

ElkNut
They did a good job of making it so you can’t hear that turbo at all, there are a few aftermarket intakes that allow you to hear it but don’t believe they really improve performance.

I’m going round and round. Going with Chevy, so ford and Ram are out. Trying to figure out which engine I want. Both come with 10 speed automatics. It’ll be mostly a daily driver, 8-9k a year. No plans on towing and if I end up towing it’ll be a light bumper pull camper trailer. The 6.2 has ridiculous power, the 3.0 has great mileage. Resale is a big factor as well, good chance I sell in 3-4 years.
Been contemplating the same thing. Mileage was better in the diesel, however w diesel prices being higher and the added cost of Def that’s probably a moot point. HP goes to the gas motor but foot pounds of Torque are equal which is pulling power. For the use you are describing, I’d say 6.2 is the winner. Probably the direction I’ll end up going as well. Good luck

tdhanses

WKR
Been contemplating the same thing. Mileage was better in the diesel, however w diesel prices being higher and the added cost of Def that’s probably a moot point. HP goes to the gas motor but foot pounds of Torque are equal which is pulling power. For the use you are describing, I’d say 6.2 is the winner. Probably the direction I’ll end up going as well. Good luck
Sorry but not true on fuel, the 6.2 requires 91 octane which is more expensive then diesel, def is about $12-$15 for 2.5 gals which will last you a few thousand miles, so pennies on the mile.

Now you also have to consider on avg with a 70/30 hwy/city driving for let’s say 1200 miles you’ll fill the diesel tank twice while you’ll fill the gas tank 3 times, both are 24 gallons. So that‘s 48 gallons diesel and 72 gallons gas for 1200 miles of distance, just something to think about as gas prices creep up higher.

Go look at the sticker and estimated annual cost, you’ll see diesel is always cheaper.

Yes, its get up & go from the start or slower speeds were very good! It was once you were in the 55-60 mph & stepped on it as if you needed to accelerate & pass someone, that's where it suffered! I have the 2020 ZR2 V6 & it would easily have much more passing umph at those speeds.

My Son owns a 3/4 ton 4x4 Duramax, it's pumped up & it is a freaking rocket! No kidding, it will flat set you back in your seat. I suppose if a guy messed with the 3.0 where legal he could get better response out of it when needed. It is a very nice truck. I felt the ZR2 2.8 diesel had better all around response too. They all have their place for sure but when I spend near 50 on something I'd like to be wowed at least a little bit! (grin)

ElkNut
If it’s got a Diesel engine, it’s got a turbo.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Man I
I purchased a GMC Sierra AT4 with the 3.0. Can’t say enough positive things about it. Tons of power when you need it and the fuel economy is out of this world good. Like others I get around 22-24 mixed and 28+ when strictly hwy.
man I'm jealous. i wanted to find an AT4 but a friend of a friend who owns a dealership had one and some nice discounts at the same time. Trying to not look at the 2" kit to match an AT4 already. maybe when tires go...

C.Cass

Lil-Rokslider
Man I

man I'm jealous. i wanted to find an AT4 but a friend of a friend who owns a dealership had one and some nice discounts at the same time. Trying to not look at the 2" kit to match an AT4 already. maybe when tires go...
I got lucky that my old truck shot craps when it did. There were still a few 2020’s out in the wild. Local dealer had to travel down to Paris, TN to get it.