6.5-06 Retumbo load data

7 Mag

FNG
Hi, I'm searching for some reloading data, knowledge, experience, or possibly someone that would be willing to check on Quickload for me. I'm building a 6.5mm-06, should be done next month, I've compiled some reloading data to start with so far, but I would really like to try working a load up for it using the 143 Eld-x bullets and Retumbo powder. If anyone has in advice or experience on loading a 6.5-06, with 143 grain Eld-x, using a federal large rifle magnum match primer, and a starting or max charge of Retumbo powder that they would be willing to share, I'd greatly appreciate it. The coal will be 3.500" using a 26"-8" twist barrel. Thank you

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have loaded quite a bit for the 6.5-06 AI but not for the standard variation. I have mostly used Ramshot Magnum.

My GUESS for the standard 6.5-06 would be around 46-47 grains of Retumbo for a starting load and about 51-52 grains will be max.

OP

7 Mag

FNG
Thank you, how temperature sensitive, or insensitive is the Ramshot Magnum powder?

I'm in the same boat as Justin, I load for the 6.5-06 AI, but not for the standard 6.5-06.

My rifle got good speeds with ramshot magnum, but not very good accuracy.

My best load out of my AI is 140 berger Elite hunters, 61gr Retumbo.

Not sure how retumbo would run out of the standard 6.5-06, it may be a little slow, but I've generally had good luck with slow powders.

Standard 6.5-06 is pretty close in case capacity etc to the 6.5x284. You might look at what guys are running through that as kind of a reference, should get you in the ball park. If retumbo doesn't come in, you might try with something a little faster burn rate like H4831, lots of 6.5x284 guys love H4831.

Also look on the Longrangehunting.com forums, there are lots of good threads for reloading on there.

OP

7 Mag

FNG
Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it. Im having good luck getting lots of info over at longrangehunting