6.5 130 TMK terminal report

woods89

WKR
I have been enjoying the threads with bullet terminal reports on here, especially the .223 thread. I've shot 2 antlerless deer this year with a 130gr TMK out of my 6.5 Creedmoor, and with the one I shot yesterday I had lots of time and daylight so I took some pics of the damage. I've been very impressed with these bullets.

The first deer was quartering away. Bullet impact was around 2700fps and struck the scapula. Exit was just in front of the opposite shoulder. Exit was golf ball+ sized with massive chest cavity damage. Deer dropped in its tracks.

The second deer from yesterday was also quartering away. Impact was just behind the scapula at around 2750fps. Exit was through the offside scapula, and was about a little less than golf ball sized. The chest cavity was wrecked, top of the heart was gone, she did a 30-40 yds death run, crashed, and slid back down the hill a little ways.

First pic is entry with the shoulder folded back
Second is exit
Third is exit with the shoulder folded up
Fourth is exit with hide still on.

20201123_091146.jpg20201123_083811.jpg20201123_084630.jpg20201123_075025.jpg

260madman

WKR
I used 120 Amax once. Won’t do it again. The TMKs appear to do the trick.

EmperorMA

WKR
Tipped Match King? Why not the 130 Gamechanger? About the same BC.

Last edited:
OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I know that. But wouldn’t the Gamechanger be a better all-around bullet? More capable of taking elk and deer, and more capable of busting through bones if that is the only shot offered?
Why mess with what works?

The first deer, the one I don't have pics of, got punched through the shoulder bone. It would have taken a lot more bone to stop that bullet.

Small sample size, I know, but after seeing this kill from yesterday morning I'd stick one judiciously into an elk if that's what I had. This rifle likes 156 Bergers also, though, so those will likely get the nod for elk.

Last edited:
OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
This will be it for my rifle season, except for a December antlerless portion. For that I have a private land spot where I can shoot does only, and I want to test a 156 Berger on that one. Anybody else with experience with this bullet is welcome to post their findings.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I know that. But wouldn’t the Gamechanger be a better all-around bullet? More capable of taking elk and deer, and more capable of busting through bones if that is the only shot offered?

Not better, just deeper penetrating with a narrower wound channel.
I you think what a bullet looks like after it’s killed something determines how well it killed- it’s probably a better bullet. However, if you believe how well a bullet kills determines how well it killed- then no, generally not.

ericwh

WKR
I have TGK experience but no TMK experience. Just sharing since the TGK was brought up as a comparison. The 130 Gamechanger killed well for me twice at 300 yards. ~2425 fps impact velocity. Much smaller entrance wound and similar exit wound compared to photos in the OP. Almost identical shot - entering right behind shoulder and just clipping the off side shoulder blade.

Somewhat related, just a day or 2 ago I saw on facebook a "celebrity" (maybe?) hunter shot a big mule deer and she was displaying the Winchester Match loading of the 130 SMK in the photo.

I don't understand why the Sierras apparently have thinner jackets in the matchking and thicker jackets for the gameking, while Bergers are apparently the opposite? With thicker jackets on the match bullets? Perhaps that's not true for all projectiles in the lineup or something.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Interesting. I have no personal experience with SMK's, but have heard that they are erratic as far as terminal performance.