6.5-300 Weatherby mag vs. 300WSM

Buddy and I are looking to go on our first elk hunt this fall in Colorado, looking to grab another rifle that I can use for this hunt and in the future. Have a 280 currently and have taken deer out to 800 yards with it already so long distance shooting isn't a concern of mine, but would like to get this new rifle sometime soon so I can get plenty of practice in before heading out.

I would say 8-900 yards would be my absolute max for an elk since I haven't shot any further than that around here so wouldn't be comfortable with it. I see that both rifles would carry roughly the same energy at 1000 yards so seems like thats a wash and still carrying around 1800 ft lbs at 800 yards. Rifles looking at would be a tikka T3X lite stainless in 300wsm or it would be a Weatherby vanguard wilderness in the 6.5-300.

Which would you choose and why? I reload all my ammo too so factory ammo availability wouldn't be a concern. I will be topping my rifle with a leupold vx-3 4.5-14 most likely.

Thanks,
Ray

tdhanses

WKR
300wsm, tikka is a better out of the box factory rifle and ammo is more available just Incase you forget your reloads, it happens.

Also you’ll max out with a 156gr bullet in the 6.5 vs going with a 210-215gr option in the 300wsm.

Also being you plan to dial, don’t get the Leupold, go with an SWFA 3-15. You want a scope that is super reliable when dialing and I wouldn’t trust the cheaper Leupold.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to the forum.

Old school here. For elk, .30 caliber is my preference and my go to is the .300 Win Mag. Shot and have seen elk shot with a lot of different cartridges. Last year, I was hunting with a buddy that was shooting a 6.5-300 Weatherby and I was shooting a .300 Win Mag. He shot his elk, broadside at between 180 and 240 yards, 5 times. I shot mine at 270 yards, quartering away, 1 time.

elkguide

WKR
Not to knock the 6.5-300 totally as I did spot for him as he shot a deer at 718 yards with just 1 shot.

robtattoo

WKR
Welcome to the forum.

Old school here. For elk, .30 caliber is my preference and my go to is the .300 Win Mag. Shot and have seen elk shot with a lot of different cartridges. Last year, I was hunting with a buddy that was shooting a 6.5-300 Weatherby and I was shooting a .300 Win Mag. He shot his elk, broadside at between 180 and 240 yards, 5 times. I shot mine at 270 yards, quartering away, 1 time.

Funny you mention that, I wasn't going to offer an opinion until I read your post.
I kinda ended up hunting alongside a bunch of guys last year. The one kill I was in on, the guy was shooting a 6.5-3000 ( I wasn't aware of that at the time) similar distance, 140yds at the first shot, maybe 250 at the last. It took 5 shots to drop her. 5 entrances, 5 good exits & all what I would consider good placement. I was thoroughly unimpressed with it. Now, I'm not going to say why she may have soaked up so much. I don't know the bullets he was shooting, but I'm assuming it was factory ammo.
My old mate in Wyoming has seen more elk killed in his lifetime than I could count & he still thinks a good .30 bullet in the right spot is the best elk medicine.

OP
P
300wsm, tikka is a better out of the box factory rifle and ammo is more available just Incase you forget your reloads, it happens.

Also you’ll max out with a 156gr bullet in the 6.5 vs going with a 210-215gr option in the 300wsm.

Also being you plan to dial, don’t get the Leupold, go with an SWFA 3-15. You want a scope that is super reliable when dialing and I wouldn’t trust the cheaper Leupold.

where would be a good place to look at swfa scopes? All I have ever used is leupold.
thanks

Not what I want to hear about the 6.5-300, sounds like a 300wsm is the way to go! was thinking of something around 190gr bullets for it, probably nosler.

Last edited:

Motown

WKR
where would be a good place to look at swfa scopes? All I have ever used is leupold.
thanks

Not what I want to hear about the 6.5-300, sounds like a 300wsm is the way to go! was thinking of something around 190gr bullets for it, probably nobler.

Swfa doesn’t have distributors and just sells directly to the consumer. This helps keeping the cost lower by far in the long run.

idig4au

WKR
For Elk, I also definitely prefer the 30 cal. The 300 WSM is a fantastic caliber that is notably accurate and for me, has been very forgiving with the 168 grain barnes TTSX on sheep and goats.

Instead of the 6.5-300 wby, I would consider the 300 wby or even the 300 WM for a long action. As the old adage goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

tdhanses

WKR
thanks

Not what I want to hear about the 6.5-300, sounds like a 300wsm is the way to go! was thinking of something around 190gr bullets for it, probably nosler.

Can only get them from SWFA.com

Since you reload why not a 210-215gr, it’ll have a better BC if your shooting long range and hit harder.

tdhanses

WKR
The tikka barrel twist would make me highly consider the new Savage ultra light carbon over it, if it fits the budget.

OP
P
I'll buy about any rifle, but have never been a fan of savage rifles and don't plan on ever owning one. I like buying any of the rifles that they give an accuracy guarantee really. How would a Remington 700 shape up, would I get good enough accuracy without having to bed it or anything special? Used to have one in 22-250 that would shoot around 1/3" but that was 15 years ago

tdhanses

WKR
I'll buy about any rifle, but have never been a fan of savage rifles and don't plan on ever owning one. I like buying any of the rifles that they give an accuracy guarantee really. How would a Remington 700 shape up, would I get good enough accuracy without having to bed it or anything special? Used to have one in 22-250 that would shoot around 1/3" but that was 15 years ago

Factory Rem is the last rifle I’d ever consider.

The 6.5 weatherby is a stomper of a caliber. Pick a suitable bullet and go for it! The wilderness would be a nice rig. Some fellas spoke of poor performance on game but I am sure bullet selection played a large part of that. A soft 140gr bullet leaving at 3400 fps will have devastating effects on game. But, cant knock the 300 wsm either.

I’d bet a dollar to a donut your 280 will take care of whatever you’re gonna do.

Yep. If you just want a new gun “because” I’d probably stick with the tried and true 30 caliber... but honestly the 280 doesn’t have any flies on it.

sndmn11

WKR
Funny you mention that, I wasn't going to offer an opinion until I read your post.
I kinda ended up hunting alongside a bunch of guys last year. The one kill I was in on, the guy was shooting a 6.5-3000 ( I wasn't aware of that at the time) similar distance, 140yds at the first shot, maybe 250 at the last. It took 5 shots to drop her. 5 entrances, 5 good exits & all what I would consider good placement. I was thoroughly unimpressed with it. Now, I'm not going to say why she may have soaked up so much. I don't know the bullets he was shooting, but I'm assuming it was factory ammo.

That result has to be bullet related. If folks are having success with 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5prc, 6.5rpm, .260rem, 26 nosler, and the 6.5-300 is the fastest of them all, then shot placement or bullet construction are the only possibilities and you rules out placement.