6.5 Banned on Elk by Outfitters?

woods89

WKR
Man, this gets rehashed over and over and over and over and over again.............

I think we are asking the wrong questions. Instead of endless arguing over what cartridge is best for elk we should be asking how well one needs to be able to shoot to hunt elk.

I have been trying to work in field style practice into my regimen (mostly with a 223) and it is humiliating. What it does do is show me exactly what I should be doing and what I need to work on before taking those shots in the field.

I'd encourage anyone curious about this subject to read the 223 thread. You don't have to buy in 100% if you aren't comfortable but it will inform you as to what's possible when someone knows how to shoot.

Man, this gets rehashed over and over and over and over and over again.............

I think we are asking the wrong questions. Instead of endless arguing over what cartridge is best for elk we should be asking how well one needs to be able to shoot to hunt elk.

I have been trying to work in field style practice into my regimen (mostly with a 223) and it is humiliating. What it does do is show me exactly what I should be doing and what I need to work on before taking those shots in the field.

I'd encourage anyone curious about this subject to read the 223 thread. You don't have to buy in 100% if you aren't comfortable but it will inform you as to what's possible when someone knows how to shoot.
of course subjects like this are rehashed, but there has been a lot of good information, and different experienced perspectives in the thread.... it's not all bad.

hard to expect much different on an internet forum..... lots and lots of arguments over trivial things... nature of the beast

netman

WKR
Thought this was suitable for the topic.
This meme has caused quite a stir on Facebook. Anytime someone brings up a 6.5 Creedmoor I bust out this meme. I’ve gotten a lot of negativity from the fanboys. Some have really tried to get shitty with me. I’ve got very thick skin and laughing my Fanny off.
This meme brings out the fanboys quickly.

woods89

WKR
of course subjects like this are rehashed, but there has been a lot of good information, and different experienced perspectives in the thread.... it's not all bad.

hard to expect much different on an internet forum..... lots and lots of arguments over trivial things... nature of the beast
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm entertained by it too! :D

wyosam

WKR
And especially when a LOT of their customers are yahoos who: lack woodsmanship; lack shooting skills; and have an immense amount of bravado and testosterone particularly for those skills lacking.

Not a good mix for a light, small but screaming fast round and killing an elk.

The cartridge is the single least important factor in that case. If someone is a lousy shot, and a lousy woodsman and can’t get close, and is running on bravado and testosterone, carrying a big hitter is probably just going add a scope scar to round out his internet hunter resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
I haven’t had to shoot an elk very far, all under 100 yards. Deer and antelope further, but elk seems to be a close game. I would think a professional outfitter would have the skill to get hunters in close proximity where one of this matters

woods89

WKR
The cartridge is the single least important factor in that case. If someone is a lousy shot, and a lousy woodsman and can’t get close, and is running on bravado and testosterone, carrying a big hitter is probably just going add a scope scar to round out his internet hunter resume.

This.

And just how is the Creedmoor screaming fast?

Watched another “1st” big game animal killed yesterday, my 6.5creed, she liked shooting it more than the 270, so that’s the one we packed... worked out well, she did great shooting a steep angle off my pack.

i wouldn't try it on purpose, but that 140gr accubond busted some pretty substantial bone. elk went about 25yds... i would have been cussing the little creed if this cow would have left the clear cut with the other cows, across a good size creek into the dog hair reprod, but it didn't.... they just normally don't if shot well.

Attachments

• FBC3F628-606B-4AB6-AEFC-81EF321A351C.jpeg
    FBC3F628-606B-4AB6-AEFC-81EF321A351C.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

wyosam

WKR
Watched another “1st” big game animal killed yesterday, my 6.5creed, she liked shooting it more than the 270, so that’s the one we packed... worked out well, she did great shooting a steep angle off my pack

That ultralite in 6.5 is an awful nice platform. I picked one up as a wife/company/back up rifle. It sure is nice to carry, and shoots really, really well. I shot a cow with mine yesterday. Happy young lady!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That ultralite in 6.5 is an awful nice platform. I picked one up as a wife/company/back up rifle. It sure is nice to carry, and shoots really, really well. I shot a cow with mine yesterday. Happy young lady!

what bullet were you shooting? they are cool little rifles... especially for the dough. super impressed with how well it shoots and how pleasant it is to shoot. it has a really nice balance too, i can shoot it alright offhand.

she was happy, her first year hunting. i took her out during the youth weekend of deer season, but bucks were locking down and it was probably the 2 slowest days of deer movement the whole season.... we walked 31 miles that weekend, very little action, and i felt bad... she's about 5'2" so she had to take about 30% more steps as i did haha.

she had the youth cow tag and i made it a goal to at least get her a solid opportunity and have an exciting encounter. saturday was the first day we were gonna try, so i did some scouting last week and it came together perfect yesterday morning.... she didn't have to walk all over the county, and i got lucky with a very easy extraction scenario, because i was likely getting the elk out solo regardless (girls may have carried a little but i wouldn't have let them carry too much) as it was, it was a great morning!

wyosam

WKR
I shoot the 124gr Hammer Hunter out of it at about 2925. I was amazed to get that much speed out of a 22” Barrel. My 24” barreled tikka is about 75fps slower with a similar load. Both are very, very accurate though.

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider

The 6.5 fanboy crew kills me... You would think any comment not of the genre "God created the 6.5 and it is THE best" they jump on with both feet and big spiky golf shoes!!

You would think I just said, that god doesn't exist...

Cracks me up EVERY time...

Calm down fan boys. I said it was a solid round. Nearly identical to my favorite round. You like big butts, I like big boobs... either way we kill elk, deer, etc.

bozeman

WKR
I bought my daughter (12 yrs old) a Browning XBolt Micro in 6.5CM and it has been deadly with factory Winchester 127gr........she's 3 for 3 and with the muzzlebreak, there is no recoil.

wyosam

WKR
The 6.5 fanboy crew kills me... You would think any comment not of the genre "God created the 6.5 and it is THE best" they jump on with both feet and big spiky golf shoes!!

You would think I just said, that god doesn't exist...

Cracks me up EVERY time...

Calm down fan boys. I said it was a solid round. Nearly identical to my favorite round. You like big butts, I like big boobs... either way we kill elk, deer, etc.

Not a fanboy, and completely irrelevant to my response to your comment anyway. You’re touting the “big caliber to make up for crappy shooting” argument, and I called that out. I don’t care what you or anyone else shoot, just don’t count on headstamps to make up for lousy shooting. I currently shoot a 6.5cm, among a bunch of other cartridges. It is a great cartridge, but so are dozens of others that fill the same role. The day I bought that one, it was down my list a ways, but I brought it home based on it being the one on my list the day I went to buy it. I do like the fanboys though, because they leave a ton of brass at my range. I’ve picked up enough once fired Lapua (from Berger factory ammo) to burn up several CM barrels.

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Not a fanboy, and completely irrelevant to my response to your comment anyway. You’re touting the “big caliber to make up for crappy shooting” argument, and I called that out. I don’t care what you or anyone else shoot, just don’t count on headstamps to make up for lousy shooting. I currently shoot a 6.5cm, among a bunch of other cartridges. It is a great cartridge, but so are dozens of others that fill the same role. The day I bought that one, it was down my list a ways, but I brought it home based on it being the one on my list the day I went to buy it. I do like the fanboys though, because they leave a ton of brass at my range. I’ve picked up enough once fired Lapua (from Berger factory ammo) to burn up several CM barrels.

Check your glasses.... You either misread or didn't freaking read.

I guess "BIG CALIBER" means 7-08 - which is nearly an identical twin to the 6.5 CM?? If so, then yes I said BIG CALIBER as I SAID that was my favorite.

Or is BIG CALIBER the meager 308 Win? Really??

The only place I supported a BIG CALIBER was saying that the guide shops might be imposing that because for some speculative reasons. But ballistically I never carte blanche supported any BIG CALIBER. I only stated my speculation of why the guides might be imposing them, and the ballistic FREAKING FACT that a Mac Truck has the potential to do more damage than a pebble.

But since your glasses are fogged up or you didn't read (or as I personally believe you are a fan boy), I have shot about everything you can... from Anti Tank rounds to silenced 22 LR... And have shot from 6" to 1200+ yards (and killed things across that spectrum)... I don't shoot magnum calibers (much). I mainly shoot my boring 308 and 7-08... and more lately my puny 65# compound bow.

And so we are crystal clear... A BIGGER CALIBER doesn't fix bad shooting. That was speculation of what the guides might be thinking. Not what I think.

But hey, fan on brother...

Stalker69

WKR
The packout is only part of the reason to be in shape. 7500'-10,000' will kick your ass hiking day after day, even when you live at those elevations!
Yes it is, many times two or three guys pack in. If one out of three get an elk they normally pack out without assistance. Now if they end up with two or three and they are a ways back in , that is a lot of trips in rough country, Then add in warm temps. and the need to get all that meat out ASAP becomes an issue, And no mater how good of shape your in you can only carry so much, and go so fast.

204guy

WKR
Scratch that... the 7-08 actually can kill at the 6.5C's paper punching ranges. It actually has more ballistic lethality than a 300 win mag at longer distances - based on energy (granted energy is just a guide).
Since you're here to learn us simpletons, and I'm a simpleton always trying to learn can you expound on this?