6.5 Banned on Elk by Outfitters?

Just listened to an episode of the Backcountry Hunting podcast (episode 96) and the host claims that some outfitters are banning 6.5 CM and PRC on elk. I can’t find anything to substantiate this myself but wondering if anyone has heard of it?

My 6.5 is one of my all around go to rifles but I have never had to push its limitations.

Stalker69

WKR
I don’t use outfitters, but heck I have killed several elk with my 243. I have seen a boat load of elk killed with 300 savages and 30/30 s and 7/30 waters. Even seen one shot, killed cleanly, with a 22-250 in Texas. That just sounds crazy to me.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Pure speculation, but I’m guessing the outfitters in question are just setting their own personal standard or minimum cartridge guideline within their company for any would be clients to encourage them to carry a larger caliber gun. It’s a pretty common practice with outfitters in AK if you are going on a bear hunt. Some outfitters require 300 win mag or bigger and some require 270 Win or bigger. I don’t think it’s a bad move by the outfitters and I’m sure there’s a good reason for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coelk81

FNG
When you own a business you can almost make your own rules, based on your own biases. I have seen elk taken with a 22-250, and watched friends take elk with a 243. My first bull was with a 30-30, even after my hunters ed instructor stated that it was too small to take an elk, which btw was back in the mid 80's. I don't judge someone by what they shoot as long as it is legal, but how they shoot it. I have watched guys with magnums lose elk after elk, and still judge me for using a 308 where I have never lost one. But back to original idea that businesses can make their own rules. I know a few outfitters that make it a requirement to use a scoped rifle of a certain caliber or higher regardless of how you shoot. Just realize that we do live in a free country for now where we can decide who we spend our money with. Banning the 6.5 s just another illogical idea that is based on the bias of what the outfitter/business owner believes.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Found a dead bull, a dead head buck, and talked to a couple guys that hit a cow and couldn’t find her all yesterday. I wanted to ask him what caliber he was using so I could hear him say 6.5 but I didn’t have it in me. Lots of variables but I think it goes back to the same old thing. Guys shooting too far. Everyone thinks they’re long range hunters now. Dial it in and let it fly! Time to bring back iron sights and heavy cartridges without shoulders.

LightFoot

WKR
59175cfc912933403d060075749f4b00.jpg

>>>----JAKE----->

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Even 20+ years ago I heard of outfitters that wouldn't allow anything under a .30cal size for elk. When they start seeing a pattern with their clients, perhaps it's time for them to set their ground rules. Just like some outfitters won't allow mechanicals for bowhunting elk. It's their business, they can set the rules however they want IMO. If potential clients don't like the rules, they can book somewhere else.

Northpark

WKR
These threads just keep coming. Look a 6.5 will do an elk and we all agree that it’s better to lung shoot an animal with a .243 rather than gut shoot one with a .338. But that being said there is likely a pattern of hunters who simply buy some form of 6.5 then claim to be an instant expert tell the guide they can make a 500 yard shot and loose animals or miss. After an outfitter sees this a few times it becomes easier to just say no 6.5s in an attempt to weed out the “expert” marksman. I have personally heard many folks say they just bought whatever cartridge and are now good to go at long range.

Found a dead bull, a dead head buck, and talked to a couple guys that hit a cow and couldn’t find her all yesterday. I wanted to ask him what caliber he was using so I could hear him say 6.5 but I didn’t have it in me. Lots of variables but I think it goes back to the same old thing. Guys shooting too far. Everyone thinks they’re long range hunters now. Dial it in and let it fly! Time to bring back iron sights and heavy cartridges without shoulders.
That and or just start giving guys/gals more props for getting closer to an animal instead of just ahhh I can get it from here distance.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
JVB also tells the story of the “dude” who paid for his $12,000 Gunwerks 6.5PRC, had everything done for him (Loading, sighting, etc.), and shipped it to the ranch. He then proceeded to fire for effect at “long” range on a big bull. Sounds like a good reason to ban THAT idiot regardless of caliber. Really can’t blame the outfitter; everything will be his fault as very few these days have any personal responsibility. If you pay enough money you are entitled to nothing but success...

Stalker69

WKR
I believe this is a lot of truth. Everybody is a long range “ hunter” now. And many if they don’t drop on the spot, don’t even bother walking over there to see if they hit it, to much work to lazy. Same Reason they shot so far in the first place, didn’t want to walk that far to try and get closer. And I’ve seen ( helped) a number of them that can’t even remember where the animal was when they shot at it.

prm

WKR
Then those guides aren't the brightest bulbs. A 6.5 bullet through the vitals kills just fine. Hunters are responsible for getting it in the vitals.