6.5 bullet for white tail and mule deer.

I can find similar posts but nothing answering this exactly. If you find it please post a link so I can read it.

I am reloading a cartridge for my 6.5 creedmoor. This is going to be 99% on white tail deer south east, very thick surroundings. A blood trail to me is just as important as the deer dropping DRT. The other 1% will be used once a year on a mule deer hunt if I get to go. While typing this maybe I should load a bullet for each...anyway that may be a possibility. I am looking for a bullet that will expand and create a large deep wound channel whether I shoot the deer at 30 yards out to a maximum of 300 yards. I do not plan to shoot a deer passed 100-150 yards. Shot a deer this week at 60 yards. What I have found reading is it seems there is a large following for accubonds. I’m open to anything. I’m currently shooting 143 eld-x and 140 Sierra game kings. This may be a question that doesn’t have an exact answer. Thank you in advance.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have only taken one whitetail with my 6.5 CM. I hit it through the rib cage at a little over 260 yards with a Barnes 127 gr LRX. The heart/lungs were a mess and the bullet exited. The exit wound (photo attached) was not huge but the deer left some blood in its last 30 yards.

Attachments

• B68C6FEF-6E55-4B96-80F1-C9501C2512BA.jpeg
    B68C6FEF-6E55-4B96-80F1-C9501C2512BA.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
At those ranges, in deer, I think most choices will be more than adequate.

I am a big fan of the ELD-X. I think the all copper bullets are a good option, too.

>>>----------------->JAKE
Have gear, will travel.
-Katy, TX

Evergreen

WKR
130 or 140 Accubond! Long range 142 ABLR is my go to. Used ELDX one year and while they killed everything bullet performance wasn't what I liked.

doc88

FNG
143 ELDX is a great 6.5 bullet. Taken numerous deer with it and reports of mule deer and elk being taken with that bullet. Although I shoot it in a 6.5 SAUM it should do well in the CM as well.

OP
S
Keep the posts coming. These posts are very helpful. I’m shooting factory loads right now, both both the eld-x and the Sierra game king are 1/2 moa out of my 6.5. I may just stick with the eld x. Anyone just love the game kings?

doc88

FNG
ELDX'S have done well in any caliber we've shot them in. '06, 6.5 and 7STW

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve killed them with the 127 LRX and I’ve killed them with a 143 ELD X. Don’t have a problem with either. Out of my 6.5 PRC I use exclusively ELD X and have killed 4 sheep with that round.

EmperorMA

WKR
I’ve used a 6.5 for about 25 years. There are LOTS of good deer bullets out there, and out to 300 yards, any bullet from 100 - 147gr should get the job done.

The Nosler Ballistic Tip has always been one of my favorite deer bullets. It sheds weight and creates a big wound channel, making mush of everything in its path. The 120gr is a great bet for DRT kills and the 140gr is fantastic for both DRTs and exit wounds.

Nosler’s AccuBond Long Range will act a lot like Ballistic Tips but being bonded, are likely to penetrate a bit more. The 129gr and 142gr are perfect solutions. My lone kill with the 142gr from a 6.5 Creedmoor was extremely impressive.

The Hornady SST performs quite similarly to the Ballistic Tip. It sheds weight and penetrates deeply to give dramatic DRTs with exits. Both the 129gr and 140gr will work beautifully.

Barnes bullets pretty much always perform. They also give you the flexibility to break large bone complexes (shoulder or hip) to anchor animals immediately. The 120gr TTSX and 127 LRX are perfect for your needs.

Last, your 143gr Hornady ELD-X has a fantastic reputation on game from those who have used it multiple times and both the 140gr and 147gr ELD-M are getting rave reviews. Nothing wrong with trying the ELD-Ms or sticking with what you’re using now.

The bottom line is that at Creedmoor speeds out to 300 yards, use what you like or what shoots best in your rifle. Dozens of bullets will work. If it were me, I’d decide if I wanted to go lighter and faster (120gr), heavier and slower (140gr +) or a blend of both (130gr). I’d load up some 120gr Ballistic Tips, 129gr SST or 130gr Gamechanger, 140gr Ballistic Tip or SST or ELD-M or 143gr ELD-X and see what shoots best depending on what you decide your philosophy is.

If it were me? I’d go 120 Ballistic Tip or 129 SST leaning more toward the latter.

Last edited:
Based on what whitetails my kids and I have shot, I find game kings to be one of the better choices.
Standard Accubonds have performed well and I highly recommend them. That said, I’ve never seen more meat loss then with Accubond LR

Haven’t shot many deer with the ELDX but I’m not super thrilled with it.
I’m even less impressed with GMX performance on the deer I’ve shot with them

OP
S
Yes, I know I will have a lot of opportunities less than 100 yards. I don’t want a bullet to fragment and not hit the vitals like it needs to. It’s always possible to pull a shot or make a bad shot.

260madman

WKR
In a 260 I’ve used 100&120 Ballistic tips. 120&140 Cor-lokts. 129SST. 140 interlocks. 100gr partitions. 120 Amax. 120 TSX. They’ve all died and never went far. Ranges from in your face to 540 yards.

tdot

WKR
If you reload, I've been very impressed with the Hammer Hunter 124. It's a solid copper. Very effective. Very reliable from what I've seen. Doesnt matter if it hits bone or soft tissue, 3300fps or 1800fps, they just just seem to work the same.

They are quickly becoming my go-to hunting bullet.