6.5 bullet recommendations

Hey guys, I've been reloading a while for all of my 30 caliber rifles (30-06, 300wm, 300 rum) and have a really good handle on .308 bullets.

I just ordered a 6.5x284 norma because it was a screaming deal. I plan to use it on mule deer, cow elk, antelope, out to 600y (I'd love to maybe push it 750y if I can improve the behind the trigger operator). I also plan to do some longer range plinking betwee 700y-1000y to improve my skills. So no competitions or anything like that yet...just against myself.

1) recommendations for a 140 class match bullet? I'm thinking the Sierra match king? Inexpensive and seems to be well regarded.
2) recommendations for a 140 class hunting bullet? Probably use one of the 30 cal on bull elk (or preferably my bow) but I'd love to build a bullet for big game using the 6.5.

Thanks!

After 500 yards many Creedmoor bullets lose sufficient velocity to expand properly. It's a midrange caliber...I wouldn't push it. You wanna blood trail, this round isn't conducive to that at further distances and locating the impact point could prove difficult.

JRMiller

WKR
I'm about to start pouring my own bullets here soon.
With the shortage, your answer is anything you can get.

OP
A
Let me rephrase. What bullets do you recommend (assuming I can one day get them)? I’m simple. I’ll probably goof around with various types then settle on one match and one hunting for the rest of the rifle’s life :)

OP
A
After 500 yards many Creedmoor bullets lose sufficient velocity to expand properly. It's a midrange caliber...I wouldn't push it. You wanna blood trail, this round isn't conducive to that at further distances and locating the impact point could prove difficult.
Not a CM. But still same 6.5 bullett.

amassi

WKR
147eld-m, 143 eld-x, 140 sst (gonna drop some bc here but it's a killer on deer and antelope) 140 ballistic tip. Sierra has a 130 gr tipped gameking that looks interesting

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

kodiak17

FNG
Accubonds are really good distance bullets as long as your gun likes them and the ELDX have worked pretty well for a couple of my friends on mule deer and mountain goats, and goats are a pretty tough animal

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a deer at close range with a 6.5x284 and 140 gr berger vld huntings. Turned the deers insides into liquid and made its way into the gut cavity with zero exit wound. General consensus seems to favor the 127 gr LRX’s for elk in that diameter. I’ve worked up loads for both the VLD hunting and LRX’s and can push them just slightly slower than a PRC out of the 6.5x284 with a 26 inch 1:7.5 stick. I don’t think I’d use anything but a mono on elk in 6.5 just in case you hit some bone on the way in. The backcountry hunting podcast does a couple very good episodes on the various 6.5’s and bullet recommendations for various game, as well as the limitations of the cartridge/6.5 diameter. Tons of insight and I highly recommend listening to them. I would not hesitate to take a cow with the rifle out to 500 yards given a good opportunity.

woods89

WKR
I used both 130 gr Sierra TMK and 156 gr Bergers on whitetails this year with no complaints. All shots were fairly close, but my rifle is a 6.5 Creedmoor that I don't exactly hotrod.

I used to shoot 125 gr Nosler Partitions. They usually work just as intended but TMK's and Bergers have produced much quicker and more spectacular kills. The 156's will be in my rifle for a late season elk hunt next fall.

204guy

WKR
No reason to use 2 different bullets unless you just like to tinker.

Tons of good bullets to pick from.
140+ bergers
140+ eldm / x's
139 scenar- this bullet gives up a bit of bc but would probably make you very happy. It's a bit harder than the above match bullets. Scenars are very consistent killers and they're accurate.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I use Accubond's and have had good luck with them but the Federal Ascent bullets are impressive and if you're doing load development, I would definitely try them out. Have a friend shooting them out of a 6.5cm and they're impressive for a hunting bullet.

No reason to use 2 different bullets unless you just like to tinker.

Tons of good bullets to pick from.
140+ bergers
140+ eldm / x's
139 scenar- this bullet gives up a bit of bc but would probably make you very happy. It's a bit harder than the above match bullets. Scenars are very consistent killers and they're accurate.

^this.

140 ELDm is going to be the most economical of the bunch and they still have an impressive BC.

I assume the rifle uses a long action?

ADR

FNG
My 6.5-284 gets fed 140 gr Accubonds over a healthy dose of h-4350. Wonderful bullet at a wide range of velocities.

Some options include 156 gr Berger Elite Hunter, 147 ELD-M, 143 gr ELD-X, 142 gr ABLR, 140 gr Berger VLD, 140 gr Berger Elite Hunter, 137 gr Hammer Hunter.

What kind of hunter are you? Are you one that requires two holes in the animal? Are you one that believes in dumping energy into the animal? Are you one that requires a massive blood trail? Are you one that considers any tracking job (even 10 yards) a bullet failure? Are you one that believes that all shots must go in the lungs? Are you one that believes that all shots must go through the shoulders to "break the animal down"?

What range are you expecting the bulk of your shots on animals to be? If the bulk will be "closer" then look at a more stout bullet and forget about BC. However, if the bulk will be further out then look at ones with a higher BC.

Dust1n

FNG
I’m using a 143g ELD-X and I can get my groups to cloverleaf at 100 yards.
It worked on my spring Bear and my WT this November with no issues.