6.5 CM factory ammo for deer 50-550 yd.. am I overthinking this

OP
bojangles808
The lot of 6.5 Creedmoor 143 ELD-X Precision Hunter that I have is very slow. So keep that in mind if you have a short or slow barrel (such as a Tikka

The lot of 6.5 Creedmoor 143 ELD-X Precision Hunter that I have is very slow. So keep that in mind if you have a short or slow barrel (such as a Tikka).

Out of my 18" Benchmark barrel, factory 143 ELD-X is only going about 2500 fps. I'm going to try reloading 123 ELD's and 123 Scenars to get into better velocity, which is a shame as I have a few boxes of this Precision Hunter.
How does it affects things if it's a slower barrel? (I am shooting a Tikka t3x lite)

kthomas

FNG
How does it affects things if it's a slower barrel? (I am shooting a Tikka t3x lite)

Potential degradation in terminal & ballistic performance.

I personally haven't tested ELD-X's on game (yet). Some projectiles get less reliable in their terminal performance the slower they get (less reliable expansion, etc). Also, as you are probably aware, F=MV^2, velocity plays a huge part in force. Projectiles also get more ballistically inefficient the slower they get. The BC of a projectile traveling at 2900 fps will be different than the BC of a projectile traveling 2500 fps.

I'm sure on deer sized game going 2500 fps is still going to be effective, proper shot placement withstanding. But personally, I would like a bit more velocity.

The Hornady 143 ELD-X Precision Hunter is MUCH slower than the factory loaded 140 AMAX and ELD's I have, so I wanted to point that out for others in case there are velocity expectations that's based on experience with other factory loaded Hornady ammo.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Your 143 eldx factory out of your 24.3” tikka lite barrel (I believe same as my superlite minus flutes) should spit out about 2600fps. That is slow.

It’s only slow because the tikkas are throated a tad long (not because the “barrel” is slow at least in my opinion). The long throat allows a bit more space for the gases to expand and results in slower factory loads.

IF you hand loaded , this is actually a huge advantage because you can load long with a bit more powder and push the same bullet much closer to 2900fps.

That said, expect 2600fps and plan your drop accordingly and it will kill great to 500 yds or so.

OP
bojangles808
I'm sure on deer sized game going 2500 fps is still going to be effective, proper shot placement withstanding. But personally, I would like a bit more velocity.

Your 143 eldx factory out of your 24.3” tikka lite barrel (I believe same as my superlite minus flutes) should spit out about 2600fps. That is slow.
thank you both for explaining that. excuse my ignorance but is there a factory load that might work better with the tikka barrel than the hornady precision hunter? if so what specs would i be looking for? or is this a tikka problem and everything is going to be slower so i just need to account for it.

kthomas

FNG
thank you both for explaining that. excuse my ignorance but is there a factory load that might work better with the tikka barrel than the hornady precision hunter? if so what specs would i be looking for? or is this a tikka problem and everything is going to be slower so i just need to account for it.

Tikka's are just notoriously slow. They shoot great, they just aren't fast.

Lighter bullets work great out of slowish barrels.

Tahoe1305

WKR
It’s still my favorite factory load. Accurate out of tikka too. I personally would just rock it as is.

You may pick up 100fps off 130g loads but that costs energy and BC. In todays market buy what you can get your hands on.

They will all do well on the axis.

tak

WKR
I agree with others, I've killed several whitetails with 140 eldm's. But I do want to throw out that the terminal ascent you mentioned is one badass projectile. I've haven't shot a bunch in 6.5, but I have in 308. It's super tough and holds together up close, but shoots great long range. I have no doubt it will make a short-ish barrel creed punch above its weight class.

Unckebob

WKR

It’s only slow because the tikkas are throated a tad long (not because the “barrel” is slow at least in my opinion). The long throat allows a bit more space for the gases to expand and results in slower factory loads.

IF you hand loaded , this is actually a huge advantage because you can load long with a bit more powder and push the same bullet much closer to 2900fps.

That said, expect 2600fps and plan your drop accordingly and it will kill great to 500 yds or so.

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at my range notebook. At one point, I ran 1 round of factory Precision Hunter over a magnetospeed and got 2627 fps with a 22 inch Savage barrel.

With hand loads, my load manuals say that I can easily get another 75 fps with common powders and without seating it long.

Although I am experimenting with Barnes LRX handloads. The 143gELD-X bullet will be my go to for deer since is so accurate in my rifle that I sometimes feel sorry for the deer once I get my crosshairs on him/her.

Factory 140 ELDM exit on an antelope 320yds
9f7b2b795beb6d17c460851bed89edc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Antares

WKR
What island is that. No meat ruined? Nice entry

That’s an exit. This is the entry below. I’m sure I lost some meat. I try to shoot shoulders. I’d rather lose a little meat than lose the whole deer.

80A8EAE1-5E48-48FB-A1EE-5D315A100284.jpeg

Here’s another 140 ELDM exit. Range was probably 100-120 yards on this one.

A5C231E3-CA92-4A92-96CA-C5B1A4EF1620.jpeg

gtriple

WKR
Also, as you are probably aware, F=MV^2, velocity plays a huge part in force.
KE = M * V^2

That's the formula for kinetic energy, not impact force.

Impact force = M * V^2 / (2*d) = M * V / t.

d = collision distance, t = duration of impact.

Yes, velocity plays a huge part in the impact force. However, a projectile that limits the collision distance or duration of impact (i.e. explosive terminal performance) will also increase the impact force.

Unckebob

WKR
I'd agree that you're probably over thinking it. ELD-X is a great bullet. My personal favorite (as it groups insanely good in my rifle) is 140 Ballistic Tip

Because of supply issues during the covid, I took up reloading. At that time, I could only source 143 ELD-X's. They performed perfectly.

gtriple

WKR
Thought about vor tx LR but aren't you more limited with the lower bc and need more fps to expand with copper bullets? How far out would those releastically be good for?
Hammer Hunter bullets, which are also monos, state a minimum velocity of 1800 fps. I've read some people having good expansion with lower velocity, but that'd be pushing it. If your muzzle velocity is 2700ish, you should be good out to about 550.

Thought about vor tx LR but aren't you more limited with the lower bc and need more fps to expand with copper bullets? How far out would those releastically be good for?

The BC is a little lower but not bad. I forget of the top of my head exactly what it was but I believe the Barnes rep told me the 127 has a minimum expansion velocity of 1600fps which makes it good for 700+ yards in any atmospheric conditions unless you’re running a ridiculously short barrel. My data is from an 18” Sig Cross.

Within 600 yards it will absolutely get the job done and the Barnes LRX bullets perform amazingly. They also won’t rip a coyote or fox wide open if you smoke one while out big game hunting.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
the Barnes rep told me the 127 has a minimum expansion velocity of 1600fps which makes it good for 700+ yards

That “1,600fps” is only the nose opening to about caliber size or less. Barnes, and most companies provide absolute bare minimum “expansion” velocities for monos because if they gave you the velocity it takes to get full expansion, which is what people expect- no one would shoot them.

Even LRX’s I would keep at 2,000fps on impact as a true minimum.