6.5 CM or .243

I'm still debating. I know both will work fine:

the .243 is a little flatter, but a lot lighter.
the 6.5 will handle the wind a tad better.
Probably be able to poke further with the 6.5.

Choices... choices ….choices....

My 243 is a semi.
My 6.5 is a bolt.
I always lean towards the semi... for some reason.. I just like them better.

cmahoney

WKR
Is antelope the only thing you want to use it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I see you have both already. I am sure your .243 has a slower twist barrel like most of them. In that case I would bring the 6.5 so you can use higher BC loads and buck the wind that you will most likely encounter. I used my 300 RUM on my antelope tag last year just because of the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
You will probably only need one shot. I'm assuming your bolt is lighter than your semi

mcseal2

WKR
Either will work fine.

Figuring a 200 yard zero with a .4 BC bullet at 3000fps from the 243 and a .6 BC at 2700fps from the 6.5 at 400 yard there is not much difference in point of impact. The 243 is a couple inches flatter and the 6.5 drifts about 3" less in the wind. There are much higher and lower BC bullets at different speeds for both, but that gives you a ballpark idea.

When antelope hunting our kills have been between 175 and 354 yards in the past. Longer or shorter shots are definitely possible, but that's where we ended up. 3 of the 4 of us ended up using my 264 win mag with a 140 grain Berger. My wife and I both planned to use it and my buddy borrowed it after we tagged out. He had a clean miss on a big goat at 500 yards because he forgot to hold wind with his adrenaline up.

Personally I'd pick the 6.5 if I planned to dial range and shoot at longer distances. The trajectory isn't as flat at normal hunting ranges but if you are dialing elevation that isn't a big issue. Where I hunt antelope the wind drift is always something to consider and harder to account for than distance.

mcseal2

WKR
I've hunted Wyoming several times. Count your blessings if wind isn't an issue on a shot. I have taken few that wind wasn't a consideration even at 300 yards.

Best thing about a strong wind is that it is generally more steady than a light one. Terrain features can totally screw that theory up though. Wind is a big reason that I am a fan of high BC bullets at high velocity, they reduce the impact of wind. Reduce isn't the same as eliminate unfortunately. Bad part of BC and velocity is increased recoil. Seeing bullet impact on a miss is worth a lot if the miss occurs to help on the follow up shot and recoil makes seeing impacts more difficult. Even running a wind meter at the place you shoot from isn't ideal, terrain features or thermals can create different winds between you and your target. There is no perfect situation for shooting long range in wind, the best idea is getting closer. I wish that was always an option.

If I was to build an antelope rifle today I'd give the 6 Creedmoor a hard look for these reasons.

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
The wind in Wyoming is a constant for the most part... I've ran wind flags out every hundred yards to 2000 yards before... they went every different direction including opposite and no wind at all... have to watch the grass where you can to try and judge what's going on... at farther distances it ends up being guessing and luck... if the winds blowing hard I change positions or just don't shoot...

Trees91

WKR
I use a 200 grain eldx out of my 300wm at 3000fps. Don’t need it to kill a goat but the wind here in South Dakota can be rough. This goat( I know he’s a baby) was shot at 380 yards with a 15-25 mph gusty wind.

65E99BF2-9E06-44D5-A09C-59CDC9486BFE.jpeg

I would run the 6.5 bolt. Just a guess off your handle but I’m assuming your 243 is a browning short trac?
The bolt rifle will be much more accurate and the pill you launch will be better in the wind.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I was having the same dilemma last year before my antelope hunt. I really like my .243 and 6.5. I eventually went to the range with both and shot a 5 shot group at 300. The smallest group won and went on the trip.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
I was having the same dilemma last year before my antelope hunt. I really like my .243 and 6.5. I eventually went to the range with both and shot a 5 shot group at 300. The smallest group won and went on the trip.

What was the winner?