6.5 CM vs 6.5 PRC build options

So I originally was going to go with a different caliber but I’ve settled on these two. The largest game I’d ever be taking with it is elk, and that would be at most one trip every other year, and I would have other options in the future for caliber. I’d be doing a lot of target and some back country hunts for elk and muleys.

With that being said is it smart to go with the PRC for extra energy when elk hunting or will the CM get it done?

What receiver do you all recommend going with as an overall good value but not sacrificing quality/accuracy?

How far are you wanting to be able to kill elk? Mule deer? Are you going to use commercial ammo or go the hand load route? Any bullet preference? Are you adverse to recoil?

Run the ballistics for your desired round(s) out to your desired distance, and see what it says.

More specific requirements provided will yield more useful information.

I’d go with the PRC over the CM considering that you’ll be using it on elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
I have a 24”’6.5 CM fieldcraft, I don’t think it is really far behind a PRC. I would have no issue using it on elk, my father in law will be carrying it this season.

I’m bald, but I appreciate the help buddy

Sorry to hear that 😂 I guess you should go with the PRC than👍🏼

The ballistics are much better for the PRC especially if elk is an option. Targets will be easier to shoot farther as well. Only reason I see for the creed would be for less recoil, longer barrel life. I will be changing a wsm to a PRC. The only custom action I have is a MPA titanium. Very nice, but not cheap.

OP
T
I’d go with the PRC over the CM considering that you’ll be using it on elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear that 😂 I guess you should go with the PRC than👍🏼

The ballistics are much better for the PRC especially if elk is an option. Targets will be easier to shoot farther as well. Only reason I see for the creed would be for less recoil, longer barrel life. I will be changing a wsm to a PRC. The only custom action I have is a MPA titanium. Very nice, but not cheap.

Is the PRC gonna give that much more energy at impact in the 500yds and less range? My concern was more that the PRC rounds are less accessible and about double the price per round than the CM. Has that changed? Would like to be able to put a ton of rounds down range from this thing, and as long as a well placed shot on an elk once a year wont leave me with a wounded animal I’ll be more than happy.

Is the PRC gonna give that much more energy at impact in the 500yds and less range? My concern was more that the PRC rounds are less accessible and about double the price per round than the CM. Has that changed? Would like to be able to put a ton of rounds down range from this thing, and as long as a well placed shot on an elk once a year wont leave me with a wounded animal I’ll be more than happy.

All depends on how far you want to shoot the elk. The creed has killed plenty of elk. I probably wouldn’t want to shoot past 300 on one, but many people go double that. I reload so haven’t any idea on ammo costs...

I have shot enough elk, and seen plenty shot that I prefer more energy than less. Big bulls are tough. Once I change my 300 wsm to a long range 6.5 PRC, I’ll be building a 300 PRC to replace it as an elk killer to 1000yds.😀

j33

WKR
I’m looking at both as well for my next rifle and I summarize it as the following, I don’t have experience in either so take it with a grain of salt:

-Recoil: 6.5 PRC has much more recoil than the 6.5 CM still slightly less than any 30 cal
-Barrel length: 22” for 6.5 CM and 24” for PRC seems like what companies are designing if length matters to you
-Cheaper ammo on 6.5 CM if not reloading. My opinion is give it a year or two and this will balance out as the 6.5 PRC gets more popular
-About 1/4 more energy on PRC at 500 yds. This is significant. If shooting over 300 yds on an Elk PRC is the one.

OP
T
I’m looking at both as well for my next rifle and I summarize it as the following, I don’t have experience in either so take it with a grain of salt:

-Recoil: 6.5 PRC has much more recoil than the 6.5 CM still slightly less than any 30 cal
-Barrel length: 22” for 6.5 CM and 24” for PRC seems like what companies are designing if length matters to you
-Cheaper ammo on 6.5 CM if not reloading. My opinion is give it a year or two and this will balance out as the 6.5 PRC gets more popular
-About 1/4 more energy on PRC at 500 yds. This is significant. If shooting over 300 yds on an Elk PRC is the one.

Yeah this is what I’ve read/learned... I’m trying to figure out, the PRC still goes in a short action, correct? But I’ve seen certain things say something about not fitting/cycling easily with a short action and mag only holding 3 rounds instead of 5 or something like that?

slowelk

WKR

Energy/shock isn't what kills, it's tissue damage achieved by rapid bullet expansion. The CM will have no issues expanding out to 600 yards, so if your hunting scenarios will all be under 600 you are not gaining anything with the PRC, and in fact you'll be hurting your opportunities for practice due to harder to find ammo/components and more recoil.

OP
T
Energy/shock isn't what kills, it's tissue damage achieved by rapid bullet expansion. The CM will have no issues expanding out to 600 yards, so if your hunting scenarios will all be under 600 you are not gaining anything with the PRC, and in fact you'll be hurting your opportunities for practice due to harder to find ammo/components and more recoil.

Gotcha, so all things considered id basically be gaining only in match shooting, and will be essentially equal at 500 yds or less hunting

brsnow

WKR
For me it is similar to .308 vs 30-06, with today’s premium ammo, is there a big difference hunting at ranges under 500 yards between the two?

slowelk

WKR
Gotcha, so all things considered id basically be gaining only in match shooting, and will be essentially equal at 500 yds or less hunting

No gains for match shooting because they don't care about bullet expansion, only impacts on steel, and low recoil. But yes, 500 yards and in a PRC is not a worthwhile "upgrade".

j33

WKR
For me it is similar to .308 vs 30-06, with today’s premium ammo, is there a big difference hunting at ranges under 500 yards between the two?

It's even more pronounced than a 30-06 compared to the the 300WM, it's a creedmoor magnum. We're talking 250 FPS more muzzle velocity with 143 grain Hornady ELD-X:

6.5 PRC @ 500 yds: 2248 FPS, 1604 ft/lb, -36.2"
6.5 CM @ 500 yds: 2030 FPS, 1308ft/lb, -44.2" (24" barrel, which not all CM rifles have)

brsnow

WKR
It's even more pronounced than a 30-06 compared to the the 300WM, it's a creedmoor magnum. We're talking 250 FPS more muzzle velocity with 143 grain Hornady ELD-X:

6.5 CM @ 500 yds: 2030 FPS, 1308ft/lb, -44.2" (24" barrel, which not all CM rifles have)

I purposely went with a 24” barrel, I think both scenarios you posted above will be extremely effective and I doubt would end any differently on an elk.

Reactions: j33

JakeSCH

WKR
If you are interested in reloading, take the plunge and buy the 6.5PRC at the same time. If you have no interest in reloading, just buy the creedmore.

If you truly do plan on using either of them to 500 yards make sure you know the ballistics inside and out and practice well past that distance. The PRC will be more "forgiving" at 500 yards due to less drop and wind drift.