6.5 CM

CoStick

WKR
I’ll be doing a bull hunt in CO this year with my 6.5. I’m just torn on which ammo to use. My gun shoots the 143 eld-x great but have heard mixed reviews about it on elk. Have 2 boxes of Barnes LRX which is what I’m leaning towards using but would like to find more of it.

Anyone use the 120g Barnes TTSX? Not quite as good as the LRX in terms of velocity and energy but very close with realistic hunting ranges.
My father in law uses the 127lrx. I might as well. My other elk rifle is a .270 win with 140 AB or 129ltx. I really like the lrx

OP
Short Track
I hunt deer with .243 90 gr ammo. They die immediately. Elk.. I'd be hesitant to do less than 140's. I'm sure it can be done, but what if you hit a rib bone ..........?

I went to Montana last season carrying the 127LRX. Shot a mule deer headon at 250 and never recovered the bullet as it exited out the back. Deer piled up where I shot him. The Barnes factory loads are a little slow out of my Tikka and a handload with more velocity would be more ideal for elk, but not necessary. I wouldnt hesitate to take a shot on a elk given animal position and distance fall in my comfort zone. It is just such a easy and accurate round to shoot. To me, its the same as hunting with a 308 except less recoil.

CoStick

WKR
I hunt deer with .243 90 gr ammo. They die immediately. Elk.. I'd be hesitant to do less than 140's. I'm sure it can be done, but what if you hit a rib bone ..........?
127 lrx will blow through a rib and probably right out the other side

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5x55, the Creedmoor's ballistic twin, has been killing elk and elk-sized game for nearly 130 years. It's not like there's some magical difference in the .020" between .264 and .284 projectiles (or the equally touted .277 bore diameter).

Why is this constantly getting rehashed?

OP
Short Track
The 6.5x55 is a well proven Moose bullet. But Moose don't run, they typically stand around to be shot twice. Elk run to the next county immediately. They don't stop running until they reach the next zip code.

CoStick

WKR
The 6.5x55 is a well proven Moose bullet. But Moose don't run, they typically stand around to be shot twice. Elk run to the next county immediately. They don't stop running until they reach the next zip code.
I have not had that experience thankfully. All have died insight.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
If you choose the eld-x, behind the shoulder works best in lighter caliber in my experience, especially for longer shots. If using the lrx, shoot for the shoulder!

Sako76

WKR
Try a 156 Berger, I've killed 2 bull elk with it in a 6.5 GAP going about 200 fps faster than a Creedmoor, should work fine.

woods89

WKR
Try a 156 Berger, I've killed 2 bull elk with it in a 6.5 GAP going about 200 fps faster than a Creedmoor, should work fine.
If you reload, this is an interesting option. I haven't killed an elk with it, but I will hopefully be carrying a Creedmoor with these this fall. I'm using RL 16 and getting 2650 fps out of a 22'' barrel. That BC helps it carry the mail way out there. Some say it's less efficient than a 140, and maybe they are right, but I think they're a legitimate option. For best results you need a magazine that's longer than the common factory spec of about 2.820, as they are long bullets.

I shot one whitetail with them last fall at about 80 yds, which isn't much of a test. Terminal performance was excellent. The deer hit the ground as if struck by lightning.

Berger also loads them as factory ammo, but you'll likely give up some speed.

woods89

WKR
There's a thread in the firearms section titled 223 for deer, bear, elk, and moose. In that thread is a photo of a moose scapula that a 77 gr. Sierra TMK punched a hole through and proceeded to wreck the chest cavity, resulting in the prompt death of the moose.

An elk rib bone isn't going to be a problem.

Cdetterer

FNG
I’m thinking a 6.5 would be a good choice for smaller framed ladies( mine is 5ft short) but it does require closer(inside 300yds) and more precision with a placed shot

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m thinking a 6.5 would be a good choice for smaller framed ladies( mine is 5ft short) but it does require closer(inside 300yds) and more precision with a placed shot

What experiences with 6.5’s have you had that the above belief is based on?