6.5 creed and 156gr Bergers

awesome thread with great info! how do you think the 156 would compare to the 147 on game? I have shot a deer and sheep with the 147 with good results.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
awesome thread with great info! how do you think the 156 would compare to the 147 on game? I have shot a deer and sheep with the 147 with good results.

I think both would do just fine personally.

ckleeves

WKR
Are you shooting those group with a magneto speed attached to the barrel or shooting 5 for velocity then 5 for grouping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Are you shooting those group with a magneto speed attached to the barrel or shooting 5 for velocity then 5 for grouping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leave it on for velocity and obtaining ES then I remove it when done testing. After I’m happy with what I’m seeing on the chrono then I shoot for groups, so zero groups till I feel I have a good baseline. In this test I just did 5 for each factory round to obtain a baseline. I don’t do any precision shooting with it on.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
would the 156 be any stronger and hold together better?

Not sure as I’ve never used the ELDM on anything but a target. I would have zero issues using either though.

Last edited:

Jakeweb09

WKR
Would like to see someone load the 156s with some rl26 and see what type of velocity you’d get. I’m thinking of switching, even though I know it would be harder to get the velocities I usually look for at the muzzle, they should hold velocity much better. And even be flying faster once you reach out past 3-400 yards.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Would like to see someone load the 156s with some rl26 and see what type of velocity you’d get. I’m thinking of switching, even though I know it would be harder to get the velocities I usually look for at the muzzle, they should hold velocity much better. And even be flying faster once you reach out past 3-400 yards.

I’ve thought about it but I’m happy where I’m at. Maybe once I burn through the this 8lbs of RL16, I have 20lbs of RL26 but like it for other options.

mt100gr.

WKR
The answer is yes. The 156 is not nearly as explosive as a 147 with higher impact velocities on deer and antelope. I have used both from the same rifle.
Broz, at what impact velocity have you found the 147 to really start to be explosive? How hard can you push the 156 before they act similarly? Or do they?

Broz

WKR
Broz, at what impact velocity have you found the 147 to really start to be explosive? How hard can you push the 156 before they act similarly? Or do they?
I am shooting the 156's at 3015 fps and took a buck at 60 yards and my wife took another at like 250. Terminal performance was normal Berger performance with destroyed vitals.

I was shooting the 147 M's at 2900 fps and took two deer. One at 350ish and one at 125 yds. Both of those deer were completely broadside and shot perfectly in the crease tight to the shoulder. The 147's exploded so badly they ruptured the diaphragms and stomach, sucked yellow acid mulched grass all over the tenderloins and just made a real mess. I also shot two antelope with the 147's, one at 510 and one at 826 yards. The slowed impact velocity of the longer shots really helped and the damage was not so explosive.

I saw the same thing with A Tips this year on a dozen or so elk. I didn't even get an exit from a 230 A Tip at 1028 yards on a bull elk going rib to rib full broadside. I always shied away from tipped cup core bullets because of this, and I am going to retreat back to my old standards now. Cup Core Hollow points and tips only where maximum expansion is needed like with solid copper Lathe turned momo's. IE: The Cutting Edge Lazer Max is going in my 300 LRO magnum and I hope to push them between 3300 and 3400 fps. The CEB Lazers are the best choice for me if we want to run a solid.

mt100gr.

WKR
I am shooting the 156's at 3015 fps and took a buck at 60 yards and my wife took another at like 250. Terminal performance was normal Berger performance with destroyed vitals.

I was shooting the 147 M's at 2900 fps and took two deer. One at 350ish and one at 125 yds. Both of those deer were completely broadside and shot perfectly in the crease tight to the shoulder. The 147's exploded so badly they ruptured the diaphragms and stomach, sucked yellow acid mulched grass all over the tenderloins and just made a real mess. I also shot two antelope with the 147's, one at 510 and one at 826 yards. The slowed impact velocity of the longer shots really helped and the damage was not so explosive.

I saw the same thing with A Tips this year on a dozen or so elk. I didn't even get an exit from a 230 A Tip at 1028 yards on a bull elk going rib to rib full broadside. I always shied away from tipped cup core bullets because of this, and I am going to retreat back to my old standards now. Cup Core Hollow points and tips only where maximum expansion is needed like with solid copper Lathe turned momo's. IE: The Cutting Edge Lazer Max is going in my 300 LRO magnum and I hope to push them between 3300 and 3400 fps. The CEB Lazers are the best choice for me if we want to run a solid.

Thank you. I have seen some great performance from the 147 at creedmoor velocity - pretty much the reason I haven't fiddled with a PRC yet. I really like the 147 ELDM.

The 156 then, appears more appropriate for PRC velocity from a "probably won't explode as violently" perspective. ?

Pgohil

WKR
I am just getting ready to start down the reloading rabbit hole. I'll be loading my Savage chassis rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. I like the idea of the heavy Berger bullet with a high BC. I do a lot of thousand-yard steel shooting with it and plan to shoot deer at the same distance.

What advantage would I have with the heavier Berger over the lighter Hornady 143 or 147's?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I am just getting ready to start down the reloading rabbit hole. I'll be loading my Savage chassis rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. I like the idea of the heavy Berger bullet with a high BC. I do a lot of thousand-yard steel shooting with it and plan to shoot deer at the same distance.

What advantage would I have with the heavier Berger over the lighter Hornady 143 or 147's?

Thanks

None if you don’t have a 1:8 twist or faster barrel, but if you do better BC for long range performance. I also prefer to shoot the heaviest bullets I can in all my guns, but that‘s a personal choice.

Pgohil

WKR
Mine is a 1:8. 24" barrel Savage 10 BA Stealth

renagde

WKR
Anyone having any luck with the factory Berger 156 loads for the 6.5 creedmoor? My tikka will not shoot these straight. I think the best 3 shot group I got was around 1 moa. The 135 classic load I’m getting .5 moa. I’m thinking I might not be getting high enough velocity to stabilize them.