6.5 creed vs 30-06

Not trying to start a war but if yall have to pick one, which would it be? Rifles weigh the same and you can handload for both. Which is getting the nod for back country deer ( out to 600 )?

I suppose it all depends on whether you pee sitting down or standing up

Kidding

I shoot 30-06 because I mainly hunt elk. I live in GA, and while I don’t hunt deer, if I did I would likely go 6.5 CM, 7mm-08, .270 or something similarly more tame in the recoil department. I like my 30-06 and am acclimated to it, but it’s a lot of extra recoil that can be murder on the shoulder at the range.

JohnnyB

WKR
Come on man... It Delivers more energy on target at all practical hunting ranges. Nothing wrong with the 6.5 cm but it doesn't compare in terminal performance. Yes, it can kill everything in the lower 48 but it requires more precision to kill larger animals cleanly. This isn't debatable
This is the Internet, pretty sure everything is debatable.
#doyourownresearch, #followthescience

woods89

WKR
Come on man... It Delivers more energy on target at all practical hunting ranges. Nothing wrong with the 6.5 cm but it doesn't compare in terminal performance. Yes, it can kill everything in the lower 48 but it requires more precision to kill larger animals cleanly. This isn't debatable
What shots would you take, at what ranges, with a 30-06 that you wouldn't take with a 6.5 CM? I'm legitimately curious.

If you look through the thread I linked, on one of the first pages @Wrench has a pair of elk shoulders wiped out at over 800 yds. Now that was with a 260ai, but the CM probably hits those velocities 100-200 yds closer.I dont know about your uses, but that kind of performance pretty much covers anything I need to do.

Laramie

WKR
What shots would you take, at what ranges, with a 30-06 that you wouldn't take with a 6.5 CM? I'm legitimately curious.

If you look through the thread I linked, on one of the first pages @Wrench has a pair of elk shoulders wiped out at over 800 yds. Now that was with a 260ai, but the CM probably hits those velocities 100-200 yds closer.I dont know about your uses, but that kind of performance pretty much covers anything I need to do.
This is the Internet, pretty sure everything is debatable.
#doyourownresearch, #followthescience
There are a pile of comparisons out there for those that want to read. Here is one with the bottom line quoted below it.

"Specifically, the .30-06 Springfield has about 21-39% more muzzle energy than the 6.5 Creedmoor with these three particular loads. That turns into a 17-38% advantage in favor of .30-06 at 500 yards, which isn’t a gigantic change from the difference in energy at the muzzle.

So, I think it’s fair to say that, while the Creedmoor does “catch up” a little bit at longer range, the .30-06 Springfield still hits significantly harder than the 6.5 Creedmoor at all reasonable hunting ranges."

Macintosh

WKR
Honestly, at this point I think it could be equally important to me to forget the science and choose the 30-06 simply to avoid the drawn-out, bordering-on-religion caliber arguments over what actually kills critters, SD vs energy, penetration vs hyrostatic shock, 1500 ft lbs, blah,blah,blah. 30-06 is certainly the low-drama, don't have to argue with your host/buddy caliber. I love geeking out on this stuff, but low-drama with the people I'm around counts for something in my book. Maybe I just need a sticker that looks like stainless steel embossed with ".300 winchester magnum" that I can slap onto whatever gun I happen to be carrying?

I've owned both in a sub 8lb Tikka T3x and the 6.5 Creedmoor is much easier to shoot accurately. If deer is your only game, the 6.5 Creedmoor is excellent. I reload for both and the 30-06 kicks like a mule in a light rifle and is over kill for deer IMO.