6.5 Creed vs 7mm-08 for Elk.

Marble

WKR
Anybody use the 120 grain ttsx .284 (7mm-08) on elk?
Its not a direct answer to your question but...We've been using the 145 LRX and 140 TTSX on blacktail, pigs and bear for several years. The bullets perform great and are accurate. We handled all of then and follow insructions for seating depth. They all shoot right in around 1 MOA.

On the blacktail, bullets usually go through and through, bears and pigs the same unless it hits a big bone or the Armour plating pigs have.

I would shoot the heavier bullets at elk if i were you. That round in the 140 grain range is super potent. And actually rather easy to load for...if you can find the stuff you need.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody use the 120 grain ttsx .284 (7mm-08) on elk?
Not elk but I've been on hand for 2 moose with it and seen the results of it on an other half dozen. Add 10 more if you're willing to accept other larger cased 7mm cartridges. If I was going to shoot a Barnes from my 7mm08 it would be that or a 139LRX.

Do you know the shot distances?
65-300yards.

The key with Monolithic’s is higher the impact velocity the better.

I've seen 80gr ttsx pushed over 4k with 30” 257wby, it leaves 3” exit hole 200 yards and under. But Once you are past 350 those dramatic terminal exit results decrease exponentially.

Just nature of most monolithic's in my experience

sndmn11

WKR
65-300yards.

The key with Monolithic’s is higher the impact velocity the better.

I've seen 80gr ttsx pushed over 4k with 30” 257wby, it leaves 3” exit hole 200 yards and under. But Once you are past 350 those dramatic terminal exit results decrease exponentially.

Just nature of most monolithic's in my experience
Yep, that's why I asked about distance; if they were all 75 yards shots, that is a lot different than 300 on a Zebra or Kudu.
My wife's 20" is sighted in with the 120gr ttsx Barnes factory load, it is silly accurate in that rifle and I think she has 8 or 9 boxes. I have the goal of working up a load for a different 20" rifle on the 145gr LRX.

Back to the OP, my dad used a 120gr trophy copper factory federal load from his 20" 6.5cm on a 168" muley last year. The blood trail was door way wide for the 30 yards he bounded off. I tracked down some of those bullets and the 127LRX to handload. I don't think with mono bullets there would be a huge difference between the two calibers. I think the biggest advantage of 7mm over 6.5mm is the availability of heavier bullets like a 160gr Aframe/partition if you would rather shoot a stout lead bullet.

those cartridges are so close that either one changing the outcome of a shot is more than unlikely... same bullet, same range, same shot placement, no elk would ever know the difference... i have seen a few elk shot with both, and there is zero noticeable difference between the 2.... i like both cartridges, and wouldn't hesitate shooting a bull with either..... that being said, neither would be my choice if i decided to rifle hunt elk.... if my 6.5 was my only rifle, and i was going rifle elk hunting, i certainly wouldn't lack confidence though.

if i ever decide to rifle hunt elk (most likely will) i could see myself buying a new rifle for that application, or maybe use my 7mm rm.... but i would have a hard time passing up an excuse to buy a new rifle