6.5 Creedmmor Brass

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I am about to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor, and can't find any Barnes factory ammo in stock. Not a huge problem as I do reload, but I have found a lot of mixed opinions as far as brass goes. I've heard good things about Alpha, Atlas, and Peterson, but would love to hear you guy's personal experiences with them, especially if you've tried more than one and can compare them. I usually use Lapua where available, but I'd like to give an American company a chance if it's equal or very near equal in quality. Also the Lapua small flash hole is something I'd have to address with my dies, which will likely be RCBS matchmaster, or Redding type-s bushing fl. I'd like to hear your experiences with these dies as well. Thanks

Brendan

WKR
I just moved to using Lapua LRP brass (and some leftover LRP Hornady factory brass) for my 6.5CM. Didn't want to have to deal with SRP when I didn't have anything else that shoots it..

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I just moved to using Lapua LRP brass (and some leftover LRP Hornady factory brass) for my 6.5CM. Didn't want to have to deal with SRP when I didn't have anything else that shoots it..
I hear that, I've just heard you can get a few more firings from srp brass, especially if you load on the hotter side. But I could avoid the small flash hole issue altogether by using lrp brass.

JRMiller

WKR
I’ve used srp Starline since just about when it came. No complaints. Lasts a looong time.
I chose srp because all my other calibers (grendel, .223, etc.) are srp so if one primer doesnt work well in one load i just try it in another caliber

Lawnboi

WKR
Just so you know, lapua also makes large rifle primer 6.5 brass. I believe Berger uses it in their hunting rounds. Also have a bunch of srp lapua, but luckily Wilson went my die with an additional smaller recapping rod.

My plan is to continue to use srp in my match/high volume gun and go with the large rifle primer stuff in my hunting gun.

On top of that small rifle primers are about impossible to find right now. Before you get going make sure you can get components

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Just so you know, lapua also makes large rifle primer 6.5 brass. I believe Berger uses it in their hunting rounds. Also have a bunch of srp lapua, but luckily Wilson went my die with an additional smaller
I really like those Wilson bushing sizing dies and tbe micrometer seater. Unfortunately they're out of stock everywhere i know to look. They are high on my list of dies to buy.

Lawnboi

WKR
I really like those Wilson bushing sizing dies and tbe micrometer seater. Unfortunately they're out of stock everywhere i know to look. They are high on my list of dies to buy.
Midway has 3 creedmoor kits in stock for 180.... assuming 6.5 creed being in this thread. Includes micrometer seated, full length bushing die, case gauge and a nice plastic yellow case.

They are awesome. And Wilson is awesome. I even bought a second seater without micrometer for loading a different bullet without adjusting. They are cheap enough to do stuff like this.

Wilson is also very good to work with.

Last edited:
OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Midway has 3 creedmoor kits in stock for 180.... assuming 6.5 creed being in this thread. Includes micrometer seated, full length bushing die, case gauge and a nice plastic yellow case.

They are awesome. And Wilson is awesome. I even bought a second seater without micrometer for loading a different bullet without adjusting. They are cheap enough to do stuff like this.

Wilson is also very good to work with.
I'll be damned, I thought I already checked midway. They're generally my first place to look for reloading stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

I've used Norma, Alpha and Hornady for the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Norma and Alpha have been great, the Hornady... not so much.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I've used Norma, Alpha and Hornady for the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Norma and Alpha have been great, the Hornady... not so much.
Yeah I've not heard good things about Hornady 6.5 brass. I've used their brass for other calibers in a pinch before, but I was not impressed with it's consistency at all.

Yeah I've not heard good things about Hornady 6.5 brass. I've used their brass for other calibers in a pinch before, but I was not impressed with it's consistency at all.
Your experience mirrors mine. Consistency was definitely lacking.