6.5 Creedmoor 127 LRX

cmahoney

WKR
I just picked up some Lapua Brass and Barnes bullets to begin loading for my Tikka. I have tried using Barnes in two different rifles in the past and gave up because I couldn’t get them to group.

I’m looking for some advice if there is anyone who has loaded these. I am specifically interested in how far off the lands I should start.

I am going to make this my CA rifle since lead is illegal there and one of the Condors I have never seen doesn’t die of lead poisoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I am not a big Barnes guy but Barnes typically recommends .050 off the lands.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I contacted Barnes when I was working up a load for my 300 RUM using 200 gr LRXs. The guy who got back to me said that somewhere between .050 and .125 will work for most rifles but his deep throated 300 Win Mags shot best with .200 jump. I started with .170 in my rifle due to mag length restrictions, and my final load had a little more jump than that.

I got a Tikka SL in 6.5 CM right before Christmas. I tried a box of factory 127 gr LRXs in it. I got three shot groups in the 1.25 to 1.5 inch range (factory Hornady 147s averaged just a hair under an inch on a windy day). I am not sure what the jump was for either bullet in my rifle. I did shoot a deer with an LRX at 260 yards and it did a lot of damage to the heart and lungs. I should be getting dies, Lapua brass, and 147 gr ELDs for mine today.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
We shoot barnes TTSX's or LRX's in all our rifles and have been very happy with the results. I just put together a M70 6.5 creed for my daughter, I don't know what the FPS is but with reloader 17 the first group was all I needed to see
.View attachment 84022
View attachment 84023

How was RL17 over different temperatures? I have read mixed reviews about its consistencies. I was going to start with H4350.

carter33

WKR
How was RL17 over different temperatures? I have read mixed reviews about its consistencies. I was going to start with H4350.

Interested as well, I am about to begin reloading for my 6.5 and was also planning on 4350. Actually have a store close by where I can buy a big jug, I have heard it is hard to find.

16Bore

WKR
Every Barnes bullet I've eve used was seated to front of the first driving band. 6x45, 260, 270, 30-06, 7-08, 338 WM, 375 H&H.

Interested as well, I am about to begin reloading for my 6.5 and was also planning on 4350. Actually have a store close by where I can buy a big jug, I have heard it is hard to find.

H4350 is the easy button standard for Creedmoors. RL 16 will be more temp stable than 17 and use similar charge weights but might lose a little velocity compared to 17.

IMR 4451 is another good temp stable option for people can’t find 4350.

TauPhi111

WKR
Every Barnes bullet I've eve used was seated to front of the first driving band. 6x45, 260, 270, 30-06, 7-08, 338 WM, 375 H&H.

This. I load Barnes in all my hunting rifles and after playing with depth for a couple years, I realized that all the factory ammo is loaded to the first drive band groove. So I started doing that and I have good groups in all of my guns. Barnes like a long jump to the rifling. Seated to the first groove it is usually a lot farther than the recommended .05-.07, but it seems to work well.

16Bore

WKR
Going against all the exactitude of custom ammo....I'd take a case the was trimmed to the proper length, seat the first one by eye, then lock the seater and that was that....

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Going against all the exactitude of custom ammo....I'd take a case the was trimmed to the proper length, seat the first one by eye, then lock the seater and that was that....

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I was also going to try the 10 round Satterlee load development method for the first time. I used a lot of components last time I tried some Barnes bullets in my 300 RUM.

16Bore

WKR
Don't confuse "I'd" with a recommendation. I'm just saying how I did it. But it worked for my brother and me. Never heard of that load development method.

My new method is whoever is behind the counter putting ammo in the bag for me.

Ain't my gig anymore....too much good ammo on the rack and too many other things to do.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
It’s the method where you increase the charge in small increments, shoot over the chrono and find a consistent velocity node. Then focus on the charges close to the velocity mode. There are some good YouTube videos on it and it makes sense. If it works it will save me time and components.

16Bore

WKR
Never got into nodes and ladders. Just ran everything near max for Barnes. I started somewhere just south of a midweight charge and work up to max. So say the "range" was 39.0 to 46.0. I'd load a 42.0, 43.0, 44.0, 44.5, 45.0, and 3 at 45.5. I'd shoot each over the chrono and at a target at the same time (PIA to set up, but anyway) and look for pressure along the way. If I got signs, I'd stop then pull the rest and start over. If all was good, the 45.5 was shot at a new target. If it was good, then I'd shoot the other two at the same target. If I liked the speed and the groups, I was done. Velocity and zeroed at one trip. Then mass produce. Worked more often than not.

But that one trip was my entire Saturday. Life, kids, etc....So I pretty much said to hell with all of it.

LR guys certainly run the heck outta stuff. Hats off for having the time and patience.

Once I made 330 my max hunting range, and 400+ for "playing" things got REAL simple.....

As in the press and crap went up the road and I don't miss it.

80% return on 20% effort is what I like...

- - - Updated - - -

....but I'll add that heavy 223's and clays at 500 is my new fun time.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Before starting load development clean your barrel and remove all of the copper/carbon then start your load development with the barnes bullets. I have three rifles that shoot the bullets into .3 to .7. Good luck!

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Before starting load development clean your barrel and remove all of the copper/carbon then start your load development with the barnes bullets. I have three rifles that shoot the bullets into .3 to .7. Good luck!

Thanks, how far off the lands were you seating?

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, how far off the lands were you seating?

I start .50 off the lands. .30 / .50 / .70 / .90 load up 5 rounds using the starting load at these seating depths, one will show much better grouping then the rest then you can work +/- from there.

Last edited:

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I got a Tikka SL in 6.5 CM right before Christmas. I tried a box of factory 127 gr LRXs in it. I got three shot groups in the 1.25 to 1.5 inch range (factory Hornady 147s averaged just a hair under an inch on a windy day). I am not sure what the jump was for either bullet in my rifle. I did shoot a deer with an LRX at 260 yards and it did a lot of damage to the heart and lungs. I should be getting dies, Lapua brass, and 147 gr ELDs for mine today.

I have the same tikka, and factory 127 LRX behaved the exact same way in my gun. Hoping I can develop a load for them that works though!