6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Rus

FNG
@Formidilosus
Do you find hunting with a KRG a hindrance or are the benefits worth the extra weight? Do you know the weight of a tikka dropped in a KRG bravo? Been thinking about doing this just not sure if weight is worth it? Thanks

BjornF16

WKR
@Formidilosus
Do you find hunting with a KRG a hindrance or are the benefits worth the extra weight? Do you know the weight of a tikka dropped in a KRG bravo? Been thinking about doing this just not sure if weight is worth it? Thanks
I'm not Form, but he (and others) answered your question in this thread:

Rus

FNG
I'm not Form, but he (and others) answered your question in this thread:

That will do! Thank you. Not sure how I missed that thread since it was from a week ago.

Hthunter

FNG
How are you getting such high velocity at that range? I’m only getting 1675ish with the factory loaded at that range,
At what altitude are you only 1675? Probable big difference bt forms and your altitude leading to higher velocity at that distance.

BjornF16

WKR
How are you getting such high velocity at that range? I’m only getting 1675ish with the factory loaded at that range,
Answering for Form…with 2700 fps MV (Hornady stated MV on the box), shooting at 8,000’ elevation gives roughly his stated velocity (using Ballistic AE for solution - 1972 fps at 725 yds)

At 2,000’ elevation, same MV would give 1805 fps.

Last edited:
@Formidilosus, within a velocity window of 2650-2100fps, is there an appreciable performance difference on deer-sized game between the 143ELDX and 147ELDM in terms of wound cavity, penetration, and upset consistency? If you had to pick one over the other, what’s your choice within those parameters? Appreciate your thoughts!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus, within a velocity window of 2650-2100fps, is there an appreciable performance difference on deer-sized game between the 143ELDX and 147ELDM in terms of wound cavity, penetration, and upset consistency? If you had to pick one over the other, what’s your choice within those parameters? Appreciate your thoughts!

Nope. Whichever one is most available.

Macintosh

WKR
Running Barnes’s ttsx 120 out of a 6.5 creed. Shot a javelina at 200 yards and it did not pass through. Similar results for a doe at 400. No pass through
That’s different than my experience, I’ve had very good luck at similar ranges on deer-sized game and all definitive pass-throughs. Could you detail the hits/location, angle, etc and what you found on the recovered bullet?

huntsd

WKR
That’s different than my experience, I’ve had very good luck at similar ranges on deer-sized game and all definitive pass-throughs. Could you detail the hits/location, angle, etc and what you found on the recovered bullet?
found the mushroomed bullet on both the deer and javelina. I actually shot a small blacktail buck at 275 as well, no pass through. Generally, all "well placed" shots right behind the shoulder

Macintosh

WKR
That's really interesting, I have a lot more experience with my 7mm08 using 120gr ttsx than I do w/ 6.5, according to barnes its about 100fps faster than the 6.5cm, but I would have thought it'd be very similar. My 7-08 120gr data table suggests it should still be above 1900fps at 400 yards, but that's only 20-ish fps faster than the 6.5 at that range. Everything I've shot with it (an antelope and a couple average-size WT deer) between 200 and 300 yds has made extremely definitive 1.5"-ish exit wounds--significantly larger than expanded bullet-diameter-- so I've never recovered one. The only two ttsx's I've ever recovered were shot from a 18" barreled 30-06, one an elk where it lodged into the far-side shoulder ball-joint after passing through the vitals, and a deer that I finished after it was on the ground that went sternum-to-spine, and it was protruding from the skin on the off-side after going directly through one of the vertebrae. I'm really surprised to hear of a ttsx of that size not penetrating deer-size game without hitting a big bone or something out of the ordinary. Do you or does anyone know if the 120gr 6.5 ttsx is designed to expand at diffferent velocities than the 7mm 120gr? Or ideas on why it didnt penetrate, seems really surprising based on my experience with that bullet in 7mm.

Last edited:

huntsd

WKR
That's really interesting, I have a lot more experience with my 7mm08 using 120gr ttsx than I do w/ 6.5, according to barnes its about 100fps faster than the 6.5cm, but I would have thought it'd be very similar. My 7-08 120gr data table suggests it should still be above 1900fps at 400 yards, but that's only 20-ish fps faster than the 6.5 at that range. Everything I've shot with it (an antelope and a couple average-size WT deer) between 200 and 300 yds has made extremely definitive 1.5"-ish exit wounds--significantly larger than expanded bullet-diameter-- so I've never recovered one. The only two ttsx's I've ever recovered were shot from a 18" barreled 30-06, one an elk where it lodged into the far-side shoulder ball-joint after passing through the vitals, and a deer that I finished after it was on the ground that went sternum-to-spine, and it was protruding from the skin on the off-side after going directly through one of the vertebrae. I'm really surprised to hear of a ttsx of that size not penetrating deer-size game without hitting a big bone or something out of the ordinary. Do you or does anyone know if the 120gr 6.5 ttsx is designed to expand at diffferent velocities than the 7mm 120gr? Or ideas on why it didnt penetrate, seems really surprising based on my experience with that bullet in 7mm.
that's interesting. I have no clue. I am pretty disappointed with the performance. Makes it hard to blood trail on my end when there is no blood trail!