6.5 Creedmoor on Elk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bighorner

WKR
IMHO when threads become over a certain number of pages, a natural inclination is to post without reading the entire thread. I'm about 1/3 through the "223 for bear, deer, etc." thread and I'm seeing it a lot. Although I've done that myself, I think doing so risks missing out on some of the back and forth and nuance, the post being something that was already mentioned, and arguments that may not have otherwise occurred. My $0.02.

FWIW, if I had injured an animal and it was running straight away from me with a need to stop it immediately, and my choices were (a) destroy more meat (including the hind quarter) and put the animal down, or (b) not shoot and risk it getting away (and possibly dying a slow death), I would go with (a).

I agree, but I dont believe that is the case in this situation. Yes every wounded animal deserves doing what ever it takes to get the animal down and recovered.

In this case statement like this lead me to believe those are first shots on a target animal that isn't presenting any vitials.

"highest shot to recovery rate of anything I/we have seen had been a 22cal/77gr TMK combo. In well over 200 game animals, from muzzle contact to well beyond what almost anyone would attempt, there has been one poor shot that was followed up with a clean shot, and no lost animals. That’s from antelope, deer, bear, elk, and moose. The next highest shot to recovery rate has been 6mm’s. Then, 6.5mm’

There is enough questionable numbers thrown around that something smells fishy. When I see photos of rear quarters turned to hamburger then statements about the hip shot as an anchoring shot followed up by a long shot I start to question whether that tolerance of meat waste is inline with most people. Regardless of it is a cull deer.

If you are willing to take shots "longer than anyone else" why are you not head shooting cull deer?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you run the risk of getting called out when the details start to get to questionable. Nothing is going to stop someone from doing what they want to do. But I can call BS when I see it so other people dont take this as gospel.

There is, believe it or not, a difference between an antelope shoulder and an elk shoulder. There just is. Telling people otherwise is setting them up for failure. One comes of a 90 pound animal the other is 800. That is significant.

If you made it this far, please use some reason and think for yourself and not follow questionable advice blindly.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
In this case statement like this lead me to believe those are first shots on a target animal that isn't presenting any vitials.

"highest shot to recovery rate of anything I/we have seen had been a 22cal/77gr TMK combo. In well over 200 game animals, from muzzle contact to well beyond what almost anyone would attempt, there has been one poor shot that was followed up with a clean shot, and no lost animals. That’s from antelope, deer, bear, elk, and moose. The next highest shot to recovery rate has been 6mm’s. Then, 6.5mm’

What about that leads you to believe I said first shot at an animal was in the rear end?

There is enough questionable numbers thrown around that something smells fishy. When I see photos of rear quarters turned to hamburger then statements about the hip shot as an anchoring shot followed up by a long shot

Please tell me where I said anything about starting to shoot at a rear quarter at long range?

I start to question whether that tolerance of meat waste is inline with most people. Regardless of it is a cull deer.

I would hope it’s not ok for most. That’s the reason to show what happens when you maximize “killing” ability of large cartridges.

If you are willing to take shots "longer than anyone else" why are you not head shooting cull deer?

Because I have seen enough deer shot in the head, slightly miss and take a jaw, throat, or top of the skull off without killing the animal immediately. I’ve taken plenty of head shots, they are more risky than any body shot.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you run the risk of getting called out when the details start to get to questionable. Nothing is going to stop someone from doing what they want to do. But I can call BS when I see it so other people dont take this as gospel.

Questionable? Everyone that I know that has done a significant amount of killing/culling large numbers of animals come to very similar conclusions. What I’m writing is only “controversial” to people that haven’t done so.

There is, believe it or not, a difference between an antelope shoulder and an elk shoulder. There just is. Telling people otherwise is setting them up for failure.

Ok, tell me what it is exactly that’s different. I have both a full elk shoulder from a bull and a full antelope shoulder in the deep freeze. I can take measurements.

Last edited:

Bighorner

WKR
Ok, tell me what it is exactly that’s different. I have both a full elk shoulder from a bull and a full antelope shoulder in the deep freeze. I can take measurements.

Let me do you a favor. The weight and mass you dip shit. A antelope shoulder weight 1/2 to a 1/3 of an elk. That's a significant difference. There now you can ban me with your super moderator button you've been itching to use.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Let me do you a favor. The weight and mass you dip shit. A antelope shoulder weight 1/2 to a 1/3 of an elk. That's a significant difference. There now you can ban me with your super moderator button you've been itching to use.

I’m not a moderator. That is so I can post locked threads in the scope testing sub forum. To answer the question, the weight and mass differencee of the shoulders does not effect the bullet- the depth of tissue and thickness of bone does. And in that case, there is about a 2-3” difference between them.

Bighorner

WKR
I’m not a moderator. That is so I can post locked threads in the scope testing sub forum. To answer the question, the weight and mass differencee of the shoulders does not effect the bullet- the depth of tissue and thickness of bone does. And in that case, there is about a 2-3” difference between them.

Go weight them.

Well I was really hoping I get the boot maybe it will happen yet.

That 2-3 inches thicker is more than 50% thicker. You do you math. I'm just calling out BS when I see it.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread is almost impossible to make any sense out of. Lots of bickering that I’m not even gonna try to go back and see what’s valid and what’s not.

Edit: The name calling wasn’t valid, gave him what he asked for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.