6.5 Creedmoor on Elk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, this post is now orphaned and it makes it look like it was in reply to Form. I guess Francis lightened up so much that the post was deleted.

When people disagree on RS (been there), I sometimes think it could be good to take a breath, and think about how these discussions could go more smoothly in person. If I said “it’s marginal” at the camp and someone asked me to explain what I meant, I might either say “I mean x” or maybe something like “well now that you ask, maybe I could have chosen a different word” etc. In person I think there is some context where any one word isn’t as critical, and neither side at the camp fire would focus on it, and if it could be said better, or if it was wrong, it wouldn’t be so big of a deal to say so.

Just my $0.02 from the peanut gallery.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
.264 in a well designed and constructed bullet is absolutely lethal on elk. Big elk, small elk, medium sized elk, it doesn’t matter. It’s kills them just as dead as your .30+ cal horn blower. I reprove this to friends and family year after year, elk after elk since the late 90s.

I’ve used nothing but .260 Rem on elk for decades now. It’s accurate, efficient, and an excellent big game killing chambering. No plans to change anytime soon.

No measuring. You are correct, I am wrong. I had one bad experience watching a guy shoot a ewe with one. He shot it 6 times and I watched the painfully slow death. I don't know what the hell he was using for bullets but it left a bad taste in my mouth for it. Like I said I love my 6.5 PRC for deer. But once again I am just so ignorant on the subject and you are correct. The 6.5 is perfect and so is the 223. They are more than enough for any game in North America. You are correct I am just miss guided and should never have broached the subject at all. Hell, I think I should refrain from saying anything ever again on these forums.
Sounds like a good story line for a tick tock video 😉

In all seriousness, it’s completely fine to not personally have confidence in something, and at the same time recognize that it’s not a bad choice, it’s just not for you… we are free to use any legal weapon/projectile combo we want to… I also think it’s fair to discuss things we don’t like/trust, care to use, but offer up some reasoning why.

I will never use a .223 for elk, or probably any firearm for that matter, I like shooting them with arrows, but do recognize with the right projectile, they are hell on anything in this country…. It wasn’t long ago that I thought the .223 was too small to consistently make very short work of elk… that was a feeling I had, but the thread I mentioned earlier, my feelings couldn’t hold up to page after page of devastation on elk (even moose) I cannot argue, with no experience seeing elk shot with a .223 that my feelings are valid vs tons of first hand experience proving my feelings wrong…. With the right projectile, the .223 is a very viable elk cartridge… with conventional wisdom, that’s hard to accept, but it’s factual and proven… the creed is a lot more than a .223, and again, the same participants (with a ton of real world first hand experience) have shown the proof of a 6.5creed also being a very viable and consistent elk killing cartridge (as well as the 6mm’s)

I don’t care if people want to put their trust in paper performance vs actual performance on live critters, but I always lean towards real world vs hypothetical experience (though that’s probably considered racist these days 😂)

I’m not trying to be an ass asking you questions, I just think it’s important to separate hypothetical vs real world experience for the sake of discussion… anybody can say anything on an Internet forum, but where the rubber meets the road is real world experience…. I have only messed with rifle hunting personally for the last 12-13yrs but have always taken friends and family, and most of that time I pretty much accepted conventional wisdom… sometimes conventional wisdom isn’t that wise

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, this post is now orphaned and it makes it look like it was in reply to Form. I guess Francis lightened up so much that the post was deleted.

When people disagree on RS (been there), I sometimes think it could be good to take a breath, and think about how these discussions could go more smoothly in person. If I said “it’s marginal” at the camp and someone asked me to explain what I meant, I might either say “I mean x” or maybe something like “well now that you ask, maybe I could have chosen a different word” etc. In person I think there is some context where any one word isn’t as critical, and neither side at the camp fire would focus on it, and if it could be said better, or if it was wrong, it wouldn’t be so big of a deal to say so.

Fixed it.

SwiftShot

WKR

Oh, I shall refrain from ever saying anything again. This has showed me the error. Oh lord has it shown me the error. Rokslide you can read it but you better not have a different opinion.

def90

WKR
6.5 Creedmore is fine. Look at the ballistics chart for the load and grain of bullet you will be using and then hunt within the numbers where you still have an acceptable level of kinetic energy to kill whatever it is you are hunting. CPW in Colorado says 1500 ft-lbs is the minimum required for Elk. That goes for any caliber.

I have shot exactly one elk with the Creedmor's Swedish cousin. 200 yards with a 140 grain Core-Lokt bullet. One shot in it's bed and it never twitched, walked up to a very dead elk. One is not a great sample size but it's enough for me to not question the 6.5's effectiveness.

Id guess that outfitter just had bad experience with new people that got into hunting recently from you tube that have little practice or experience but heard the 6.5 was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Also probably the same people who have all the best gear but dont put time into shooting or shooting past there abilities, and then the 6.5 takes the blame for their lack of shooting ability

CoStick

WKR
Id guess that outfitter just had bad experience with new people that got into hunting recently from you tube that have little practice or experience but heard the 6.5 was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Also probably the same people who have all the best gear but dont put time into shooting or shooting past there abilities, and then the 6.5 takes the blame for their lack of shooting ability
Sounds like a lot of assuming and guessing.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
And bullet choice.

Form's picture posts on the effectiveness of 6.5CM and .223 are solid evidence. Most people forget the details though.... using the right bullet matters.

fmyth

WKR
Going on an outfitted Wyoming wilderness hunt next year. The outfitter said that if I show up with a 6.5 CM, he’s sending me back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would ask him to point out the line in our contract that states that the 6.5 C was not allowed on my hunt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.