6.5 Creedmoor on Elk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marble

WKR
I have killed every single bull elk I’ve shot at with a 6.5cm (not that cartridge really matters) in some of the nastiest country that people reference at ranges longer than 600 yards- 666, 801, 676 without issue. They all died quickly and went 0 feet, 69 yards, and just over 100 yards in irder from the first shot. Only the bull shot with a “bonded” bullet traveled a hundred yards . I’ve been the spotter for quite a few more out to 910 yards with 6.5’s, and a bunch under 600 yards. There are no angles or shots that I would not take with the 6.5’s that I would with a big 30cal- and yes, I’ve used big magnums extensively.

How do you know that you wouldn’t have recovered the animal with a smaller caliber?
I guess there is no knowing since it didn't happen. But those couple of animals were hit forward of vitals near the shoulders at long distances and the bullet did extensive damage going through both sides. Damage a smaller, slower moving bullet doesn't have the power behind it to do.

That same rifle has hit the ribs on an elk and gone through about 11 of them before entering the front of body cavity. The smaller guns just won't do that.

I have seen enough elk killed and other animals, with a variety of cartridges, to know why I use certain sized cartridges for certain animals.

The 6.5 CM is an impressive cartridge in many ways. But I wouldn't recommend it for elk.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JakeSCH

WKR
@Formidilosus love the pics. Do you have some steep rear quartering away photos with those combos? That has always been my concern with non-bonded bullets which stems from listening / reading from experience of others.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I guess there is no knowing since it didn't happen. But those couple of animals were hit forward of vitals near the shoulders at long distances and the bullet did extensive damage going through both sides. Damage a smaller, slower moving bullet doesn't have the power behind it to do.

The dreaded “elk shoulders” and 6.5’s-

C5F594D0-E267-4721-AB0F-1154F3A86493.jpeg

408 IIRC
2B65F546-855E-429E-8AB0-30A22DE005DA.jpeg

666, scapula is totally separated
30E5E167-AEC4-464A-8B4E-46A8EA82F30F.jpeg

300’ish IIRC
85312A93-8D5D-4F1A-ACC2-7079EC28E3BD.jpeg

801, and “broke shoulder”
5A69A96F-5F62-429A-A018-4593AEB2579D.jpeg

That same rifle has hit the ribs on an elk and gone through about 11 of them before entering the front of body cavity. The smaller guns just won't do that.

They won’t? Based on what experience?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus love the pics. Do you have some steep rear quartering away photos with those combos? That has always been my concern with non-bonded bullets which stems from listening / reading from experience of others.

I’ll have to find them. The the bull from 801 yards above, was almost facing away when shot; bullet entered behind ribs, got liver, both lungs, through the offside “shoulder” and exited. The one from 666 yards had the bullet go through near “shoulder” separating it in two, through lungs, liver, stomach, broke offside femur, and was recovered in far side ham.
I will say, when the angle is so severe that you can’t put it through lungs first, it’s almost always better to shoot them in the hips and break them down for a second shot. Putting ethics aside, having shot and seen the results of hundreds of big game shot with raking shots and rear end shots with all kinds of bullets; 100% I will put it into the hips with a heavy for caliber frangible bullet and know what the result will be. The taking shot or rear end shot with a Barnes, etc… extremely variable.

Unequivocally the “marginal” label mostly comes from those who think they know something, but haven’t actually done it. The ones who have and still say marginal, almost universally used “premium” deep penetrating bullets. If I only went by what monolithic do in elk, I wouldn’t think they were all that great either.

JakeSCH

WKR
I’ll have to find them. The the bull from 801 yards above, was almost facing away when shot; bullet entered behind ribs, got liver, both lungs, through the offside “shoulder” and exited. The one from 666 yards had the bullet go through near “shoulder” separating it in two, through lungs, liver, stomach, broke offside femur, and was recovered in far side ham.
I will say, when the angle is so severe that you can’t put it through lungs first, it’s almost always better to shoot them in the hips and break them down for a second shot. Putting ethics aside, having shot and seen the results of hundreds of big game shot with raking shots and rear end shots with all kinds of bullets; 100% I will put it into the hips with a heavy for caliber frangible bullet and know what the result will be. The taking shot or rear end shot with a Barnes, etc… extremely variable.

Unequivocally the “marginal” label mostly comes from those who think they know something, but haven’t actually done it. The ones who have and still say marginal, almost universally used “premium” deep penetrating bullets. If I only went by what monolithic do in elk, I wouldn’t think they were all that great either.

Very interesting and good food for thought. I would agree that a 6.5 CM with a 127 LRX (or similar) is not the same as the 130 TMK's you've shown or 140 Bergers i've seen.

Your experience is valuable, thanks again for sharing. I've been stuck in a mono metal world for to long being in CA. Though I have some 156 bergers that I plan to load up in my PRC, eventually I will get more 140's, and some 300 gr ATIPs for my 338 RUM.

I feel like those 300 gr ATIPs would be deadly.

bowman72

FNG
What are the differences between: AMAX, eld-m, TMK and SST.

Thanks for all the knowledge!! Great thread.

amassi

WKR

I was late to the amax party but the few amax kills I made before the dc sure look alot like the eld-m wounds from the same rifle and ranges.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Amax and ELD-M are same/same. The ELD-X has a thicker jacket than ELD-M, and with the lock ring is kind of a higher BC SST. The TMK has a jacket thickness that is right between the ELD-M and ELD-X, and consequently penetrates a bit farther than the ELD-M.

Bighorner

WKR
I will say, when the angle is so severe that you can’t put it through lungs first, it’s almost always better to shoot them in the hips and break them down for a second shot.

If cracking of at 800 yards for a hip shot on 5xs is what your proud of there's not much common ground for a discussion as far as I'm concerned. Dont break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If cracking of at 800 yards for a hip shot on 5xs is what your proud of there's not much common ground for a discussion as far as I'm concerned. Dont break your arm patting yourself on the back.

What are you talking about? Please feel free to show where I said anything about “cracking off at 800 yards for a hip shot”.

F

i though the exact same thing…

Thought what? Something that I never stated?

Bighorner

WKR
What are you talking about? Please feel free to show where I said anything about “cracking off at 800 yards for a hip shot”.

Thought what? Something that I never stated?

If cracking off at XXX yards for a hip shot on 5xs is what your proud of there's not much common ground for a discussion as far as I'm concerned. Dont break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Better?

What is the perfect yardage to open up with a hip shot to break them down for a follow up shot? Asking for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.