6.5 creedmoor or 300 win mag for black bear?

I can assure you there is more to that story if that story actually happened. Shoot them through both lungs and they are dead super quick. The majority are dead inside 20 seconds... they are tough as heck if you don’t kill them good though.... I’m very particular when shooting at bear, I want an easy shot with plenty of time and a good angle
I agree however...I wasn't there. Heard the story from the houndsman who was also shooting at it soooo...

Either of your two guns will work great. I have taken 6 bears, the last 4 were taken with my 243 using Hornady 100 grain Whitetail ammo. Not one of them went over 40 yards. I did take one bear using my .375H&H with 300 grain TSX ammo, and it too ran only about 40 yards. Big thing is just put the shot about middle ways up its body and just a bit back behind the shoulder!! Have fun and enjoy the experience!!!

Batch

FNG
7 shots from a 45-70 ? seems poor shot placement rather than extremely tough bears.
i don't think bears are that hard to kill, that being said i use a 300 win with 200 gr accubonds

jaslam

FNG
Depends on where you are going to hunt Black bear.
On the lower end, I have gotten a 250 lbs bear with 7.62x39 and that was OK but could use more power, ended up using up 3 shots. Couple of them in the 300 lbs range using 270 and did very well, ran maybe 20-30 yards. As others have suggested, black bears are a bit more than deer and not much more. Shot placement is everything, I personally like to wait till a good shot angle to break shoulder bones and organs.
Now if you are hunting the bigger black bear such as the ones in coastal NC, those big boys are 500lbs+ and I would definitely up gauge to 308 or 30-06.

MattB

WKR
Black bears are the softest animal I've ever hunted when hit right. I've only killed them with arrows so cannot comment on bullets, but I really wouldn't overthink it.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed one with a 300wm and my bear this past spring was with a 6.5. 270 yards, one shot didnt go five yards. I'll be carrying my 6.5 this spring. Also cant find any powder to load my 300 sooo

Black bear aren’t that tough to kill. Shot placement and bullet construction are more important than caliber.

ianpadron

WKR
Either one is a great choice. I killed a bear at roughly 300 yds with my 6.5 CM 2 years back and the results of the 143 ELDX were definitely confidence inspiring. That said, I'd look for a bullet that holds together a bit better, as I lost an entire quarter on mine.

Last fall I used my .308 and it produced a DRT like I've never seen before at the same yardage with a 168 ELDM. No doubt a Win Mag will meet/exceed those results.

Bears are in trouble with either one!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Planning to go after black bear for the first time this spring. I have a 300 win mag and a 6.5 creedmoor and I am comfortable shooting both. Is the 6.5 creedmoor enough for a black bear or should I take the 300 win mag?

😂 😂😂 come on man...