6.5 creedmoor reloader 16 Barnes LRX

H4350 (40gr) and 140ELD M’s have worked really great in my Creed. I’ve shot several deer with that load from 75 to 511yds and I’ve been happy with the results.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys. I loaded some .005 off of the lands in new Lapua small rifle primer brass with BR-4 primers. I just shot at rocks because it was a gale wind day. I got really consistent velocities around 3020FPS with 43.8-44.2 grains of RL 16 out of my 24” barreled Tikka.

I’m going to load up some more in that range and see how they shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope that velocity # is a typo! That is SCREAMING out of a creedmoor. No pressure signs? What chrono?

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Magneto speed sporter. No pressure signs, bolt opens right up.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I hope that velocity # is a typo! That is SCREAMING out of a creedmoor. No pressure signs? What chrono?

I thought the velocity was high too and really looked at the primers. Everything seems good unless I’m missing something. I guess a 24” barrel helps and the 127 grain bullets over the heavier ones.

DDRH65PRC

FNG
So tried the RL16 with Barnes 127 LRX this weekend and got much better results than with H4350.

Groups were more consistent @ around <1" (5-shot groups). Had a few flyers, on the 5th shot.

42.4gr loaded COAL @ ~2.730", BTO ~2.142" was the most consistent. Used both WRLP and BR2, the BR2 group was slightly better and velocity more consistent. Avg 10-shot velocity was 2820fps. 22"bbl factory Remington

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
So tried the RL16 with Barnes 127 LRX this weekend and got much better results than with H4350.

Groups were more consistent @ around
42.4gr loaded COAL @ ~2.730", BTO ~2.142" was the most consistent. Used both WRLP and BR2, the BR2 group was slightly better and velocity more consistent. Avg 10-shot velocity was 2820fps. 22"bbl factory Remington

Did you start seeing any pressure signs.

DDRH65PRC

FNG
No Pressure signs at all. Only slight issue, and this is a minor Remington issue, the primer craters no matter the load. this is due to the chamfer from the fire-pin hole.

Bolt lift was fine. no ejector marks. I can probably go higher and may test a few more loads. but i'm happy with 2820fps avg. ES=22, SD=7

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
No Pressure signs at all. Only slight issue, and this is a minor Remington issue, the primer craters no matter the load. this is due to the chamfer from the fire-pin hole.

Bolt lift was fine. no ejector marks. I can probably go higher and may test a few more loads. but i'm happy with 2820fps avg. ES=22, SD=7

That’s great, makes me feel better about using 44 grains of powder.

DDRH65PRC

FNG
That’s great, makes me feel better about using 44 grains of powder.

I think 44gr of RL16 is really close to max. I based my recipe off of research from the web. Most were in the 43-44gr range.
Also used Alliant's load data as reference (for the 130gr TSX). Barnes' reload data seems to be on the conservative side (but with RL17 and 130gr TSX - 40.8gr max).

be safe!

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I think 44gr of RL16 is really close to max. I based my recipe off of research from the web. Most were in the 43-44gr range.
Also used Alliant's load data as reference (for the 130gr TSX). Barnes' reload data seems to be on the conservative side (but with RL17 and 130gr TSX - 40.8gr max).

be safe!

I think so too, I don’t have my notebook with me but .005 off the lands in my Tikka is seated pretty far out. I need to get out and shoot some groups but if 44 grains works and the velocities stay consistent I will be more than happy.

jhm2023

WKR
I settled on 44.0gr of RL16 with the 127gr. LRX. It gives me 2,890fps from a 22 inch barrel, just a touch under half MOA and an extreme spread of 14. Seated .05 off the lands.

DDRH65PRC

FNG
Wow, my jump is like a mile! roughly 0.120-0.130" jump. I haven't played with seating depth with this combo yet.

I think 44gr of RL16 would put me past 2900fps

I thought the velocity was high too and really looked at the primers. Everything seems good unless I’m missing something. I guess a 24” barrel helps and the 127 grain bullets over the heavier ones.

If my experience with 6.5x47 is any indication, the Lapua SRP brass really doesn't show pressure and neither do the CCI 450s or BR4s. Physics still apply, you're not getting that kind of speed without high pressures. I'm not qualified to comment on whether it's "safe" or not though

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
If my experience with 6.5x47 is any indication, the Lapua SRP brass really doesn't show pressure and neither do the CCI 450s or BR4s. Physics still apply, you're not getting that kind of speed without high pressures. I'm not qualified to comment on whether it's "safe" or not though

What do you think a reasonable velocity would be out of a 24” barrel. I’ll add that I’m definitely a novice reloader compared to most guys on here.

Last edited:
What do you think a reasonable velocity would be out of a 24” barrel. I’ll add that I’m definitely a novice reloader compared to most guys on here.

Hell, you might be at a reasonable velocity, Im not familiar enough with creedmoors to say. You have to be at high pressures to get there but I don’t know how high.. My intention was just to point out that SRP lapua brass is the slowest to show pressure of any brass I’ve used.

With my x47 (48 grain h20 vs creedmoors 52ish IIRC) 26” barrel and a chamber with excessive freebore, I was near 3k FPS with 130 Berger’s and h4350 before starting to see slight ejector marks on the case head. It was way over any published data and I figured I had to be up there so settled on a nice 2950 node.

accurat

FNG
I tried 44g or RE16 with a 130g STGK, but couldnt find a consistently accurate load. No real pressure signs, but by sacraficing 50 fps from 44g down to 43.1g, I get sub .5 MOA accuracy with single digit SD. I did try book max at 44.4 and, while I had very good accuracy and an SD of 6, I was only 80fps faster than 43.1g. Figured it was an easy and safe tradeoff. I may revisit book max over the winter and see if there's something there worth pursuing.

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
Accurat and I both loaded up the 130 STGKs over RE16. My best was at 43.4 and .040 off. Ironically, with the differences in rifles, both of us had our most accurate loads pushing the Sierras right around 2810-2820.

Following this for information. New to reloading. But have a buddy that can help with anything. I think hes getting sick of my constant questions about reloading tho.. hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

holzgene

FNG
I've been loading up some cheap 129 grain Horandy SP's. I'm planning on using these on some whitetails this year. I hit a good load at 43.7 grains of RL 16 and .030 off the lands, could still tweak a bit more but am getting around 2825 fps and .5 moa at 100. I'm hoping this load data will translate to those 127 gr LRX's fairly well. Planning on bringing the seating depth out to .050 then playing around that same powder charge.