6.5 Creedmoor vs .308 Win

308 because the USMC doesn't use a Creedmoor. Also, right now your paying $65/box for rare ammo. 308 all day imo

ericF

WKR
Nosler Trophy Grade 6.5 Creedmoor 129gr accubond 2850 fps

Barnes 130gr Vor-tx 3125 fps.

Sectional Density won't make up for that amount of speed difference.

prm

WKR
Flip a coin. Seriously, unless really stretching the range in wind I doubt you’ll ever realize a meaningful difference. Since you said primarily deer, I might lean 6.5. Hard to argue that bigger bullets don’t upset more tissue though. Do you plan to hunt very long range? If not, I’d go .308. Both have great bullet choices, neither recoils meaningfully.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Flip a coin. Seriously, unless really stretching the range in wind I doubt you’ll ever realize a meaningful difference. Since you said primarily deer, I might lean 6.5. Hard to argue that bigger bullets don’t upset more tissue though. Do you plan to hunt very long range? If not, I’d go .308. Both have great bullet choices, neither recoils meaningfully.
Dont think i have the skills for anything beyond 300 yards

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR

Speed doesn't necessarily increase penetration. Infact speed will often decrease penetratiin due to larger frontal area, or a complete fragmenting. There's a Whole Lot more that goes into penetration than simple weight and velocity.

EmperorMA

WKR

Run a 120 TTSX @ 3K or a 100 TTSX @ 3200. Better SD.

ericF

WKR
Speed doesn't necessarily increase penetration. Infact speed will often decrease penetratiin due to larger frontal area, or a complete fragmenting. There's a Whole Lot more that goes into penetration than simple weight and velocity.

You are correct, but in the case of monometal like the barnes that I referenced that usually isn't the case. Barnes are known for their penetration.

Also I don't think anybody is arguing here about penetration on a deer, but more so whether the 308 is better for shorter distances using heavier bullets on elk. No question at longer ranges the Creedmoor outshines it.

j33

WKR
For shooting a deer under 300 yards I’d go 6.5 creedmoor no question due to lower recoil.

Go 7mm-08 or 308 if there’s a lack of ammo near you, stop in at where you buy ammo to figure it out for yourself.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I debated between the 6.5CM, 7mm-08, and 308 for awhile and ultimately went with the 6.5CM not because it was better than the other two, but here in CA we are required to use monolithic/copper and there was more 6.5CM bullet varieties/selection available at my local shops. If not in CA I'd most likely have gone with the 7mm-08 as it is nearly as flat as the 6.5CM for the ranges I shoot and is available in heavier weights. Realistically inside 400 yards get what you prefer and are comfortable with.

I have T3s in both and under 500 yards you would be hard pressed to tell any difference in the real world.

The .308 can take much heavier bullets, which I prefer for elk/larger game.

The 6.5 has less recoil.

The .308 has a much wider variety of components.

The .30 caliber components are less expensive.

The 6.5 is a little easier to shoot precisely.

For a hunting gun, and where the OP said he doubts he will be shooting over 300 yards, primarily for deer it makes zero difference, which you choose.

I think the .308 is more versatile in a T3 platform due to its ability to modify the bolt stop and long load heavy for caliber projectiles like a 200-220 grain Nosler Partition (like if you ever wanted to go to Alaska and hunt Brown/Kodiak Bears).

If it was strictly for deer 300 yards and under, I would opt for the 6.5.

They both kill elk:

6.5:
iYFbtyw.jpg

.308:

C4wmqRU.jpg

Biggest thing in my area are black bears but they are a rare sighting
So you'll never take the gun anywhere else to hunt? What do you want to be holding if a rare bear charges...or cattleman's bull catches you out in the open? I have never had too much gun, I have been undergunned. Before you decide, look at your ammo options, availability and pricing. Good luck.

TxxAgg

WKR
So you'll never take the gun anywhere else to hunt? What do you want to be holding if a rare bear charges...or cattleman's bull catches you out in the open? I have never had too much gun, I have been undergunned. Before you decide, look at your ammo options, availability and pricing. Good luck.
Explain to us why you think the 308 is better than the 6.5 in this scenario if you're out and about with hunting ammo.

You shoot a cattlemens bull, you are in for a whole new set of problems. It could make you and a bull in the open look like a walk in the park.

MattB

WKR
The biggest benefit of the .308 is the ability to shoot heavier bullets. If you are focused on Tikka, keep twist rate in mind as it may limit the bullet weights you can shoot.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly dont know yet. Plus i hunt out in md so i doubt ill run into a pissed off bull

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

I have both. They are basically the same thing <400. The 6.5 has less recoil. 6.5CM ammo is just as easy to find in normal times.

I have both. They are basically the same thing <400. The 6.5 has less recoil. 6.5CM ammo is just as easy to find in normal times.
Normal times are gone forever. You'll be needing ammo more than ever in the future. The cost of 3 cases (matched lot) of 6.5CM was not cheap, cost $1,428.85

Last edited: