6.5 Creedmoor vs Elk

Chevynbow

FNG
My wife just took a 44 inch bull moose with her 6.5CM using 127gr Barnes LRX. That's her second moose with that bullet from her 6.5 so I would assume it would work well for elk too. The 6.5's have a great sectional density allowing them to perform better than a lot of people are willing to give them credit for. I say take your Creedmoor and go enjoy your hunt with confidence.
That’s impressive from a 127gr bullet!

1000yrds

FNG
Wife is gonna use one this year. She shoots it a lot better than my stw. The more comfortable she is the more confident I am. Her max range will be 500ish with 140 bergers around 2800 fps.

elkchsr

FNG
I’ve killed elk with 140gr partitions from a 256 Newton and a 6.5x55 Swede. In my opinion, the 140 partition is one of the bullets worth building rifle around.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
For 400 on in I just loaded 120gr Nosler E Tips at 2900 for a nephew's 6.5 Creedmoor. At least I know he'll get penetration needed and really a decent trajectory with a 250 yard zero. This is a whitetail rifle doing double duty on elk this fall...hopefully he'll get a chance to connect with it!

parshal

WKR
130 Scirocco is another good one. I've taken elk with it. I have 124 Hammer Hunters loaded this year.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey man. Just as an example on factory ammo... A little 129 Grain Hornady SST still has over 1,200 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards, over 1,400 ft lbs at 400 yards. A well placed shot producing that much energy on an elk is a show stopper for any bull. Happy hunting.

Shoot what you can and put it in the lungs. The animal will die whether it wants to or not. With a smaller caliber, such as the 6.5 Creedmoor, be realistic and reduce your shooting distance.

I have a 20" 308 Win. It shoots the 178 grain ELD-X very well. Was hunting another species and water buffalo presented itself. Was blonde and sometimes in life you have to take "yes" for an answer.

I shot this water buffalo at about 50 yards in the chest with the rifle mentioned above; slightly quartering. The water buffalo almost flipped over backward. It then proceeded to get mad and turned towards me. I put another round on its sternum at less than 50 yards. It walked a few yards, laid downy, and proceeded to perish.

Not sure where folks are hitting the animal to be concerned about up close and personal shots. If the animal is that close, hitting the lungs usually is not terribly difficult. If you're hitting shoulder that close, you're likely jerking the trigger (assuming right handed hunter).

No exit wound on either shot which is no surprise. There was a ton of internal damage. The bugger bent a 1/2" gambrel and netted right at 550 pounds of meat. It was big.

Here is a photo of the off-side chest.

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
Took my first Elk for CO 1st Rifle last month, a decent 5x5 Bull at 275 yards using the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr. ELD-X with my 6.5 CM. One shot, double lung, complete pass-through. He went 40-yards and dropped.

So I busted up my dominant hands wrist and can’t handle much recoil and doubt I will by fall. Took a shot with my .300 win mag and no way I’m doing that anytime soon again, but no issues with my 6.5creedmoor. Have a CO elk tag and wondering what bullet selection people may have experience with. I was thinking either 140gr Accubonds or 143 ELD-X maybe. Plenty of experience with the Accubonds in .30cal, but nothing in 6.5. Been loading the ELD-X in 6.5 for hog and deer and it’s worked well. I’ve had terrible experience with SST and BT Hunting, so those are definitely out for me. Anyone have good experience with these or a better selection so I can get something going at the range?? Also...thinking 400yds max if that’ll help.
I have had great luck with the 143 grain eldx, shot a couse at 672 yards with one had a complete pass threw. 36457.jpeg

I shot a cow elk last weekend with my 6.5 CM using Winchester 142gr long range accubonds. She was dead on her feet after the first but I gave her a second. The shot was only about 30 yards so it's not much of a sample, but I only found two small pieces of the bullets while processing.

My cow went 10 feet.. and dropped. Interesting,. the 140 AB didn't break a rib, but defected, and went on a 45 degree angle across both lungs, and was in the aft side hide. It was a low lung shot.. But dead is dead. 80 yards.