6.5 creedmoor

How many guys or gals have taken elk with a 6.5 creedmoor? What is your opinion on hunting elk,with it? For those who have taken elk what bullet were you using? And is it capable of 600 yard shot on an elk?

Last edited:

Some guys prefer to leave a sardonic remark rather than ignore a question they don’t like or offer advice.

Most would agree that 1500 ft-lbs of energy is plenty (and some would say much less with a well-placed bullet) for elk. You’d be more than good with a creedmoor if you’re practiced and keep your shots reasonable.

Check out Hornady precision hunter, it’s a solid factory round. Lots of elk slayers on here can provide better insight but that’s a fine option.

OP
E
Some guys prefer to leave a sardonic remark rather than ignore a question they don’t like or offer advice.

Most would agree that 1500 ft-lbs of energy is plenty (and some would say much less with a well-placed bullet) for elk. You’d be more than good with a creedmoor if you’re practiced and keep your shots reasonable.

Check out Hornady precision hunter, it’s a solid factory round. Lots of elk slayers on here can provide better insight but that’s a fine option.
Agreed. I would primarily a deer rifle but i hunt in a unit were elk is open at the same time. I just want a low recoil rifle that can take and elk.

Lots of love on here for the 7 mm-08 and 280 AI, but any of the three will meet your needs.

CorbLand

WKR
Killed a cow with mine at 410. It’s a capable round but wouldn’t be my first choice for elk. I shot her with 143 grain ELDX factory loads. It went in, destroyed her lungs and left about a golf ball sized exit. Didn’t hit any bone so I can’t report on that. The only reason I took the 6.5 was I was in between scopes on the 30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve killed some with factory loaded 147eld-m ammo. No problems, seem to do the trick just fine. I do find that between cheap ammo and good manners I shoot my creed a lot more than I used to shoot my bigger guns. This makes me a lot more comfortable and confident with the creed.

Last edited:

goosedog

FNG
Hornady precision hunter 143eldx has worked well on 4 cow elk for my hunting partner but he knows the limits of this round and all shots have been under 300yds

All about shot placement my friend. Haven't shot an elk yet but i have killed 2 nice muleys with it using Hornady 143 ELDX Precision Hunter. Light gun, feel very comfortable shooting and will be with me again this year out in the field for any weapon antlerless Elk. Not sure about your distance but again, if you are shooting consistently great at that distance, and you hit vitals, I believe you will have a freezer full of delicious elk meat.

Bzn_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy used my Tikka 6.5cr to shoot his elk last season. 295 yards, walked maybe 15 steps and fell over. 143gr ELD-X. I'd be comfortable out to 500 yards on elk, give or take. Past that and I'll use my 7RM.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I took a cow elk last Oct with a 127gr Barnes LRX hand loaded round at 450 yads. Broadside one shot double lung

im all in with the 127g LRX, that’s all I load for my creedmoore, I got rid of all the other bullets I was working with for that cartridge.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
There's some stuff there you might find of use.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
Ive shot a few deer with it but nothing that far 450 was the longest. I know guys do it all the time but I probably wouldn't shoot an elk longer than 400-500 yards with the Creedmoor. I sold it, I like more speed than the Creedmoor can give but it was fun to shoot. Nothing life changing. As long as you use a good bullet and hit vitals it will kill elk fine but so do smaller cartridges....and arrows lol

LightFoot

WKR
How many guys or gals have taken elk with a 6.5 creedmoor? What is your opinion on hunting elk,with it? For those who have taken elk what bullet were you using? And is it capable of 600 yard shot on an elk?
6.5 Creedmoor can adequately take elk and ranges longer than most of us are proficient to attempt.

Again... "adequate"... not ideal.

The 6.5 Creedmoor does not carry the optimal energy to be the "right" answer for elk at 600yds.

The 6.5 PRC or another .264 magnum may be a little more than adequate.

For me, a 600yd elk rifle starts with a .284.

>>>----JAKE----->