6.5 creedmoor

I am reading so much on how popular the 6.5 creedmoor is.

what’s the largest game in North America you would feel comfortable shooting a 6.5 at effectively?

very indecisive about what round rifle to buy as many have seen in my other thread. Just trying to get an idea

EmperorMA

WKR
I’ve killed elk with it. The 142 ABLR does a fantastic job.

There isn’t any hooved game animal in North America I wouldn’t feel totally fine putting that combo into within 600 yards. Black bears and hogs, too.

I wouldn’t choose it for the big bears, but I don’t hunt them, anyway.

jfs82

WKR
In theory, I'd shoot at anything here with it. Distance matters (I'm not shooting a moose from 850 or a griz from 35 yds). What are your goals for this rifle/cartridge?

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6.5CM in a Tikka CTR and love it. It’s a tack driver and I have shot out to 800 with a high degree of success (at targets). That said my .308 and 7mmRM are better suited for most hunting applications.

The 6.5CM is not magical and it still comes down to energy and ballistics. A 140(ish) bullet at 2800(ish) FPS is not confidence inspiring for a lot of large game at distance. many people will share how well it works and the ones who lost game as a result don’t say much. I am sure people kill elk at 1000 yards with them; not the odds I would choose.

Like jfs82 said it comes down to your game and intended ranges. Antelope and deer to 350 yards the 6.5CM will be good. Bigger/farther and I think there are more reliable choices.

WKR
Elk or moose.

Have been on hand when it was used on elk at 400 yards with the proper bullets. Broke shoulder on bull and was found under skin on other side. Watched an antelope die on the spot at 500 yards. Son shot a big mule deer buck hoofing it the other direction at around 400 yards and killed it. Watched a 400 pound black bear die immediately from high shoulder shot with same rig at 400 or so yards.

140 Berger vld or 135 Berger Classic doing 2750 or so fps has worked amazingly well for years for us. We do shoot a bit though. Gut shoot something with a 6.5, .277, .284, .30 cal, 338 and it is just that, gut shot. Shoot stuff in the vitals with rapidly expanding bullets and they die. Learn to shoot, kill stuff, move on.

UtahJimmy

WKR
After looking at ammo shelves lately, I'd recommend a 25-06 instead. Stock up on the ammo when you get the gun and you'll be happy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
F
ok so it looks like with shot placement and right bullet it could effectively kill a moose or elk.

how much of a difference would the 26 inch barrel make over the 22 inch barrel with a 6.5

WKR
We're using 18", 19" and 22". I personally would not go to 26" on anything but different strokes for different folks.

Rule of thumb is you will loose about 50 FPS per inch.

Me and my buddy have been shooting whitetails with 120 grain copper out of a 24 inch barrel (my tikka) and an 18 inch kimber Adirondack. I don’t think the deer noticed. None of them have gone more than 100 yards.

Not sure about the 6.5 on bigger game. I am sure it could be done, but I would want some more crack for a moose or brown bear.

EmperorMA

WKR
I don’t want to carry anything with a 26” barrel around the woods. For me, a 22” barrel works best.

I also don’t mind a 24” barrel for an open-country rifle, but if there will be much stalking done, make it a 22” for me.

jfs82

WKR
I've got a 24 inch 6.5cm, my 6.5 prc is 21. I'll be rebarreling the cm to a 21 inch 6cm, much nicer to carry those shorter barrels, 22 seems solid.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
6.5 CM is very capable with the right shooter on elk and moose. I personally have killed large black bear and elk with my .260 shooting 129 grain bullets. None of them have ran more than 50 yards before dying. Essentially the exact same cartridge as 6.5 CM.

The longest barrel rifle I hunt with is a 24” in my 7mm Rem Mag. I prefer 22” as it hits a sweet spot with being handy and still getting excellent velocities out of the cartridges I shoot. I do tend to shoot longer range than most folks. So a 20” would be ideal if that wasn’t the case.

EmperorMA

WKR
6.5 CM is very capable with the right shooter on elk and moose. I personally have killed large black bear and elk with my .260 shooting 129 grain bullets. None of them have ran more than 50 yards before dying. Essentially the exact same cartridge as 6.5 CM.

The longest barrel rifle I hunt with is a 24” in my 7mm Rem Mag. I prefer 22” as it hits a sweet spot with being handy and still getting excellent velocities out of the cartridges I shoot. I do tend to shoot longer range than most folks. So a 20” would be ideal if that wasn’t the case.
Which 129gr bullet? I’m thinking of working up loads for my 6.5 Creedmoor using the 129 ABLR and SST as well as the 130 Gamechanger.

With proper bullets, there’s nothing on earth the 6.5 CM can’t handle.

This fact was proven about a century before the CM was ever even thought of by WDM Bell, who laid low 300 elephants with a 6.5 X 54MS and only retired the rifle due to ammo availability at the time. It was pushing 160 grain round nose bullet at a whopping 2400 ft./s and penetrated like nobody’s business.

Marketing executives have pushed magnum mania and more power over marksmanship for a long time. People seem to be coming around a bit and in the past few years more sensible choices are being pushed and purchased.

My kids and I have taken over 60 head of big game with the 6.5 CM, all one shot kills with no drama.

My youngest boy has 19 one shot kills on WT with his little 6X45 and one bad hit that required a tracking job. I’ve got enough experience to know that a deer similarly hit with a 300RUM results in the same type of tracking job as I’ve done it a few times for my BIL who needs his phallic symbol.
Don’t even get me started on black bear I’ve followed up after being “Hit hard in the shoulder” with a 300WM that I went on to dispatch with a .22WMR

1. Shot placement
2. Proper bullet construction for the intended game
3. THE END

OP
F
Ok I’m pretty set on the 6.5. Now just barrel length. I’m going with a browning hells canyon so 22 inch barrel will carry like a 24 with the break and a 26 with carry like a 28 with the break on the end.

I don’t want to lose to much with the 22 inch barrel??

jfs82

WKR
Ok I’m pretty set on the 6.5. Now just barrel length. I’m going with a browning hells canyon so 22 inch barrel will carry like a 24 with the break and a 26 with carry like a 28 with the break on the end.

You won't.

EmperorMA

WKR

That is about as close to a perfect rifle to deliver the 6.5 Creedmoor as there is. The 22” barrel is perfect, too. Take the brake off. Save everyone’s ears!

That rifle will like 129-147gr bullets. My buddy gets small groups out of the Browning 129 BXR and Winchester 142 ABLR factory ammo in his. The 143 ELD-X does very well, too. Any of the three would be all you need!

jfs82

WKR
My bergara 6.5 loves barnes 127gr lrx so much I never bothered to test anything else.

Last edited: