6.5 creedmoor

OP
F
That is about as close to a perfect rifle to deliver the 6.5 Creedmoor as there is. The 22” barrel is perfect, too. Take the brake off. Save everyone’s ears!

That rifle will like 129-147gr bullets. My buddy gets small groups out of the Browning 129 BXR and Winchester 142 ABLR factory ammo in his. The 143 ELD-X does very well, too. Any of the three would be all you need!
How far could you shoot with it? Paper. I know that would change depending on species hunting.

I wouldn’t say a break is going to be as impactful on the 6.5 CM as other calibers. Even with a 140+ grain bullet, my tikka is a very soft shooter.

hodgeman

WKR
I've shot caribou and personally know folks who shot moose and grizzly with it. It wouldn't be my first choice for moose, but I'd still shoot one with it.

The best way to describe it is hunting with a scalpel. Shoot straight and carry on.

EmperorMA

WKR
How far could you shoot with it? Paper. I know that would change depending on species hunting.
My longest shot with my 6.5 Creedmoor was 265 yards on a muley buck. Bang/flop using 129 Browning BXR factory ammo.

I also have a DRT at 220 yards on a whitetail using 125 Winchester Deer Season XP and a dramatic bang/flop on a large elk at 208 yards using the Winchester Expedition Long Range 142 ABLR.

My buddy and his kid have killed three bull elk, four mule deer bucks and two pronghorn bucks at 500-650 yards using the 129 ABLR at a skosh under 2900. The longest kill (651 lasered) was a big 6-point elk bull that went about 15 yards and crashed. All the rest were also one-shot kills.

Perhaps more importantly, they have six kills inside of 50 yards with the same load, and all were one-shot with no drama.

OP
F
My longest shot with my 6.5 Creedmoor was 265 yards on a muley buck. Bang/flop using 129 Browning BXR factory ammo.

I also have a DRT at 220 yards on a whitetail using 125 Winchester Deer Season XP and a dramatic bang/flop on a large elk at 208 yards using the Winchester Expedition Long Range 142 ABLR.

My buddy and his kid have killed three bull elk, four mule deer bucks and two pronghorn bucks at 500-650 yards using the 129 ABLR at a skosh under 2900. The longest kill (651 lasered) was a big 6-point elk bull that went about 15 yards and crashed. All the rest were also one-shot kills.

Perhaps more importantly, they have six kills inside of 50 yards with the same load, and all were one-shot with no drama.
What scopes you guys using ?

OP
F
Looking at glass for this rifle. Not sure I can afford the scope for a bit. Nothing really budget friendly haha

Tahoe1305

WKR
Concur with most of what you’ve gotten here. 22” is great, 26” doesn’t buy you much. I’ve seen closer to 25fps loss per inch vs 50. You’ll be around 2800fps for the heavier bullets if you handload. Maybe a bit less with factory.

I don’t own one, but if I bought another scope it would be the vortex LHT 3-15. Can be had for $800. Should meet your needs. Great glass. Loaded with good hunting features. Love my last 1st Gen 3-15 LH. But the new one appears to improve on it. You can get better but would need to spend a lot more (double). Not sure I’d spend less if you can afford it.

OP
F
Not sure ? I am going to start my research. I will just have to take time and save and Lou I out the right one

260madman

WKR
SWFA 3-9 for $450 right now. I have 2. 1 on my Browning HCS in 6.5 Jesus and 1 on a Rem 700 260 Rem. Ordered 2 more this past Sunday.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve shot caribou with my 6.5, I’d shoot an elk within 400yds (just my own personal limit). I know people say they would shoot a moose with it but man....I don’t think I’d personally want to do that, not saying it would work but I’ll leave that one to other guys.

KC29

FNG
I’ve taken a muley, a couple whitetail, and numerous coyotes at distances varying from 30 yards to 415 yards with my creedmoor. Every animal only took one shot and either dropped or didn’t make it past 40 yards. But with that being said, I wouldn’t choose this cartridge for any game larger than deer, mainly because I have a Tikka 300WM that shoots equally as well, if not better. I’m sure the Creed would take down an elk just fine, but why not have the insurance of a larger cartridge?

Both rifles have their place for me. The creedmoor is easier on the shoulder. Less recoil let’s me shoot longer shot strings and better groups without flinching.

Guys are always looking for the “one gun to do it all.” Personally I think having only one gun is foolish, I want one of everything

WKR
Guys are always looking for the “one gun to do it all.” Personally I think having only one gun is foolish, I want one of everything
How many guns do you carry with you on a hunt? And realistically, how many can you practice with on a regular basis?

That's my justification for wanting "one gun" and why I believe it's such a common theme/topic.

KC29

FNG
How many guns do you carry with you on a hunt? And realistically, how many can you practice with on a regular basis?

That's my justification for wanting "one gun" and why I believe it's such a common theme/topic.
Valid point.

I was trying to be facetious by saying it’s foolish. Nothing wrong with having one rifle and being proficient with it, but having more guns is more fun.

z987k

WKR
I’ve shot caribou with my 6.5, I’d shoot an elk within 400yds (just my own personal limit). I know people say they would shoot a moose with it but man....I don’t think I’d personally want to do that, not saying it would work but I’ll leave that one to other guys.
I shot my moose with it this year. Dropped in place. 80 yard shot with the 143gr ELD-x.