6.5 creedmore starting to load

OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
So let’s just say I did find some rl26. Like 2lbs 😝😝. Problem is I can’t find any load data to start with for it.

Evergreen

WKR
I havent seen any data using 26 but I know there are guys doing it. Check some of the long range forums.

OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
Other thing was I measured the chamber length for COAL. My guns at 2.904. While all the ammo manufacturers list coals at a touch over 2.8

JGRaider

WKR
I always start out finding loads by seating the bullet at max mag box length, or .02 off the lands. Usually max mag box length. I started RL26/147ELDM's with 45gr and worked up watching the chrono. I wound up at 46.5gr, 2.85 OAL, and 2700fps in my Tikka CTR 6.5CM.

WKR
Daughter's Creedmoor is shooting 147 eld at 2700 fps in a 22" barrel. RL26 at 45 grains in Lapua brass. I think JG's load is pretty good too for longer throated rigs which most are.

RTSJ

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running 48gr of RL26 in Starline LRP brass. 139 Lapua Scenars and CCI200’s .010 off and still have room to spare in my Tikka T3x M+ mags. Avg is 2850fps and shoots awesome for a Lightweight rig.

mvrk28

WKR
PSA to anybody considering Atlas Development Group brass, I attempted to load up a few with my standard load (124 Gr Hammer Hunter, 47gr RL-26) and the powder was damn near to the case mouth. If anybody is considering ADG brass, keep in mind you will definitely need to reduce your powder charge.

I run this same load in Alpha Munitions brass and it fits in there without issue.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Curious why guys are using RL26, but not pushing it to its potential? Why not just use a different powder that can achieve similar velocities with better temp stability and less case fill?

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
Curious why guys are using RL26, but not pushing it to its potential? Why not just use a different powder that can achieve similar velocities with better temp stability and less case fill?

IME you will get better velocities using as much RL 26 as safely as you can. I like to fill case to bottom of case neck, and seat bullets right down on top of the powder given this OAL is allowed by the mag box without jamming into the lands. I've found this type of scenario often gives better SD's and ES's as well.

RL 16 works really well too, but with heavy for caliber bullets like the 6.5/147gr ELDM RL 26 is the ticket in my rifles.

mvrk28

WKR
I stopped at 47 because the group was great, the speed was great (2950 fps, 22" barrel with a 126 gr bullet) and I have zero pressure sign. I guess at over a dollar a pop for the bullets, I was anxious to end load development hahaha.

OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
I did my first tests of h4350 (since it’s a bit easier to obtain then the rl-26) with the Berger elite hunter 140s. Started .04 of the lands which I unfortunately have to change because for a hunting round it won’t fit in my mag box. Started at 38 grains and worked up. Got to 40 and had great results. But stopped there and will start over with them at a length that’ll fit my mag box. Hopefully get similar results. Here’s the pic of the 40 grain load. 5 shot group. But I did pull one of them that I’m not counting as I knew I did it before the shot..should still count it but oh well 🤷🏽‍♂️ Minus the one I pulled it came out at .34 moa. Unfortunately I need the mag box clearance

Attachments

• 81A0E437-0EBC-45B8-B483-A3119D7D7151.jpeg
    81A0E437-0EBC-45B8-B483-A3119D7D7151.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

mvrk28

WKR
I did my first tests of h4350 (since it’s a bit easier to obtain then the rl-26) with the Berger elite hunter 140s. Started .04 of the lands which I unfortunately have to change because for a hunting round it won’t fit in my mag box. Started at 38 grains and worked up. Got to 40 and had great results. But stopped there and will start over with them at a length that’ll fit my mag box. Hopefully get similar results. Here’s the pic of the 40 grain load. 5 shot group. But I did pull one of them that I’m not counting as I knew I did it before the shot..should still count it but oh well 🤷🏽‍♂️ Minus the one I pulled it came out at .34 moa. Unfortunately I need the mag box clearance
Look at the VLD over the elite hunter, the elites are better suited to single feed applications. With a VLD you could be closer to .015 off the lands, still fit in the mag and have much more room for powder with a G7 BC of like .307 I believe.

mvrk28

WKR
Also, I noticed you are measuring OAL. I would HIGHLY recommend you switch to CBTO (cartridge base to ogive) for more consistent results. There is too much variance between the ogive and meplat to ensure your distance from the ogive to the lands is the same between each cartridge.

TRD1911

WKR
41.5gr H4350 and 143gr ELD-X is averaging 2750 out of my proof barrel. Worked up to 42.0 with primers starting to flatten and a sticky bolt after a few rounds. At 42gr I was still only in the 2770 range though so I decided brass life was more important than marginal speed gains

FLS

WKR
140 Berger Hybrid, 41 grains H4350, Lapua brass, BR4 primer loaded to mag length gives me 2670fps out of a 24” Kreiger barreled 700. It’s my match and hunting load. I’ve killed a bunch deer and a couple of antelope with it. It’s not super fast, but super accurate in every rifle I’ve tried it in. I full length size with expander ball removed and expand the neck with a carbide mandrel. Single digit SD and ES.
142 SMK works almost as well. RL 16 and 17 were faster but neither was as accurate or consistent in my rifle. All my kills with the Berger have been bang flops, so I didn’t see any reason to chase more speed.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
Old thread but coming back with some info with the rl26 testing. Worked up to 46 grains and the 140 elite hunters, also using Peterson brass now and it’s so much better then the starline I had used in the past. I found a node right there at 46 with a. 5 shot string and SD of 3 and ES of 9. Right at 2905 average speed. Group wasn’t what I was looking for though but I did have the magneto speed on the barrel and just under 1 moa. Not finished yet as I now have that same load worked up with .001 seating depth changes in 5 shot groups, up .002 and down the same. Will shoot them and report back once I get the new stock. Although idk if I can get to my shooting spot here in Washington as lots of public lands are closed with the carona virus going on.

Old thread but coming back with some info with the rl26 testing. Worked up to 46 grains and the 140 elite hunters, also using Peterson brass now and it’s so much better then the starline I had used in the past. I found a node right there at 46 with a. 5 shot string and SD of 3 and ES of 9. Right at 2905 average speed. Group wasn’t what I was looking for though but I did have the magneto speed on the barrel and just under 1 moa. Not finished yet as I now have that same load worked up with .001 seating depth changes in 5 shot groups, up .002 and down the same. Will shoot them and report back once I get the new stock. Although idk if I can get to my shooting spot here in Washington as lots of public lands are closed with the carona virus going on.

Please do man I’m looking forward to it, I have a Tikka 6.5 on the way and will be starting load development soon I was going to go with Lapua brass I haven’t looked into Peterson. What did you get for a stock?

I've had good luck berger 140s , seem like they're easier to push velocity out of ,, I get around 2780in a 24inch barrel using 4350 enduron

OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
Please do man I’m looking forward to it, I have a Tikka 6.5 on the way and will be starting load development soon I was going to go with Lapua brass I haven’t looked into Peterson. What did you get for a stock?

I have a Mesa precision altitude in the mail but am now gonna be using that for a 7 saum build, which means I gotta order another stock. Probably going to go with a stockys m50 long range or vg2 just because they can send it immediately instead of waiting 2-3 months again