6.5 Creedmore

My 7mm bit the dust....

How comfortable would you be with a 6.5 CM, and a 140's ELD-x bullet ?
Very accurate...
I'm proficient with it.

It ain't no magnum, and it ain't no .30-06. Not that I can shoot long track's or magnums any more...

I know people who have hunted moose with a 127gr LRX out of a 260.
Shot placement is key. Its essentially a ballistic twin of the 6.5x55 which has killed its fair share of moose.
Run it.

About the ELDX. I personally along with a buddy experienced core seperation. While another buddy harvested a bull elk at 316yrd and it didn't make a mess like close range stuff.

OP
Short Track
When I use Nosler Partitions. The core separates, and exits... and the remainder fragments every where. Not much of an exit wound at all. Not sure if core separation is a bad thing. Did you recover both animals ?

I'm salad plate accurate out to 300 with 270wsm with 140 gr Noslers down the tube. Have taken close to 100 animals with it. However, I'll likely pick up something with similar trajectory carrying a little more mass. My gun kill? ABSOLUTELY. But when it's all said and done, why not bring a little more gun in case you slip A bit. I plan to buy something new and hunt next two years with it. 400 days in field with my current rifle going to be hard to part with, and the new one is more than I need around here, but I want to get comfortable with it.

When I use Nosler Partitions. The core separates, and exits... and the remainder fragments every where. Not much of an exit wound at all. Not sure if core separation is a bad thing. Did you recover both animals ?

All I’m getting it’s not a meat saver bullet and it doesn’t seem to hold up and penetrate that deep at closer range. I’m pro accubond personally.

mcseal2

WKR
I wouldnt use it personally. I had a 143 eld-x come apart on the shoulder of a whitetail. Impact velocity was around 3k fps so its not an equal comparison to 6.5 creed velocity. Still a whitetail isnt a moose and I’d want a tougher bullet especially with the small case. I went with my 300 win mag with a 180 E tip and was happy with it.

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I have to 2nd mcseal... I would be hesitant to go that light. My niece took a Shiraz with a 7-08 (same family) but we waited for a 75 yds or less shot and used handloaded accubonds to help ensure penetration. All said, 6.5 can work if you are willing to take a few shot opportunities / scenarios off the table. It is mostly about big enough but also most comfortable for you. My niece would have closed her eyes shooting a 300win. 😂

I watched a 17 year old girl last year shoot a pretty big Shiras moose at a touch over 200 yds with a 6.5 Creed stoked with 143 eld-x ammo. Poked it perfect through the lungs on a broadside shot, it got tipsy after a few steps and fell down. No trouble. If you are trying to drive eldx bullets through shoulder bones at 3000+fps, you will be disappointed. But if you shoot them out of a Creed, and take ethical "kill zone" shots, it will work fine. We found hers balled up under the far side hide, did it's job well.

mcseal2

WKR
I certainly agree the 6.5 would work with a good broadside shot. Still a AK moose is a lot bigger critter than a Shiras. I'm no moose expert, I have shot a total of one and seen a total of 2 shot. Both were with the 180gr E tip from a 300 win mag. Even the rib bones are pretty heavy on a big moose compared to most critters.

I also think the ELD-X is better at a lower impact velocity as was mentioned earlier and kept off bone. I gave the running buck I hit through the shoulder a bit to much lead, hit right where I was aiming instead of where I'd have preferred to hit. It was the first animal I'd taken with that rifle and with the bullet leaving the muzzle at 3240fps it gets there quick! The second deer I took with that rifle was past 300 yards and the impact velocity was closer to 2700fps, the bullet performed much better. In my rifle the bullet performs better after it has time to slow a bit. No bullet can be perfect on all tissue at all ranges. I just prefer bullets I've never seen blow up on big animals so I stick to my 300 with tough ones for elk or larger game.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have never hunted Alaska-Yukon moose, but I have lucked into a few tags in the lower 48. Even Canada moose and Shiras moose are pretty stout through the chest and shoulders. I would recommend using an equally stout bullet since you are not guaranteed a broadside shot, especially if you are calling and/or hunting an area that is thick with timber/willows/brush.

I thought about getting a 6.5x55 for a trip after a bull in Wyoming last year. I didn’t get the rifle, but if I had, I would have used a 140 gr Swift A-Frame or a 127 gr Barnes LRX or a 130 gr Barnes TSX (probably in that order).

VernAK

WKR
Short Track,
Certainly your creedmoor is capable of killing a moose but is it the best way to go?

All is well if you can precisely place your shot into an ideal broadside lung shot but if you screw up, the 6.5 and those bullets are on the light side to drop that running away bull. An escaping wounded bull leaves you little choice but to shoot it in the pelvis area. Deep penetration in this area will often bring the bull down but it takes a tougher bullet preferably of more weight. It's not my favorite shot but losing a crippled moose is not an option for me.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Can you kill an Alaska-Yukon bull moose with a 6.5 CM? Of course it can be done, but like Vern said, "is it the best way to go?"

For me the best way to go for A-K moose is to shoot a big bullet out of a cartridge that you can shoot well...and shoot quality bullets, and know your rifle and cartridge-bullet ballistics very well.

For spot and stalk spring black bear on snow slides up here, I handload 100grn TSX's for a 257WBY. At 3600fps, I've cleanly taken numerous black bears with that load, including two 7-footers.

However, for moose every fall, I handload Barnes 270grn TSX's...out of a 375H&H. I know that is bigger than needed, but with brown bears in the mix and the fact that sh#t happens, I like having the margin.

Last edited:

Hudge

FNG
When we lived in MT, it was nothing to see Shiras moose in the paper that some kid shot with a .243. Living in AK now is not much different. It's all shot placement. With that being said, I prefer a larger bullet, due to the possibility of bears. If the 6.5 CM is all you have and you are confident, go for it. I carry a .270WSM from time to time, and my son carries a .270Win 90% of the time for all of his hunting.

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Great discussion/thread... it was originally worded in such a way to inspire input and thoughts vs a definitive answer... comfortable doing something is definitely different from capable and it also is not bordering on suggested. 6.5 definitely capable and if you are not a magnum or long cartridge shooter - it fits into the mix as a viable option.

OP
Short Track
The fact is.... I am very proficient with my 6.5. I can shoot it all day, and I sit at the bench.

My 30-06 I handed down to my son. I can't practice with a long track, or magnum.