6.5 Creedmore

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Then you got all the answers you wanted short. Totally get it and support you shooting what you feel is the best gun for you that gets the job done! Accubonds are amazing

204guy

WKR
I'd hunt moose with a 6.5 without hesitation. But I also intentionally hunted and killed a grizzly with one so maybe I'm different. An eld-x however would not be at near the top of my bullet list unless I knew I was going to liking be taking a longer shot were the increased bc and lower velocity expansion were needed.
I'd be wanting something tough like a 120ttsx, 120 etip, 120 gmx, 140 nosler partition ect.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I shot a lot of animals with a 140gr Accubond from a 270, 270WSM, 264WM, and 7mm Rem Mag. Never had one perform short of excellent. My 200" muley I shot in front of the hip on a hard quartering away shot with the 264WM and found the bullet under the hide on the opposite side of the neck. The buck was leaving and it was the only opportunity I was going to get, I knew that bullet could handle it. I finished off another hunters buck that he'd crippled at 400 yards with a similar shot from the 270WSM. I think you will be happy with that bullet.

AK_Hobie

FNG
I used to hunt with a 7MM and had buddies who carried 270's, '06, etc. They are all capable of harvesting a moose but everyone now carries a 338 or larger. We have had to many run-ins with brown bears, especially if you are a caller, so bigger is better as far as I'm concerned. I have shot too many moose to count and I have never shot one in the shoulder. There is a lot of meat on a moose front quarter that would be wasted and they usually don't go far with a lung shot. I do have a 6.5 Creedmoor but wont carry it for moose.

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I used to hunt with a 7MM and had buddies who carried 270's, '06, etc. They are all capable of harvesting a moose but everyone now carries a 338 or larger. We have had to many run-ins with brown bears, especially if you are a caller, so bigger is better as far as I'm concerned. I have shot too many moose to count and I have never shot one in the shoulder. There is a lot of meat on a moose front quarter that would be wasted and they usually don't go far with a lung shot. I do have a 6.5 Creedmoor but wont carry it for moose.
Hobie- you make a great point as far as being appropriately gunned in an area that could have brown bear roaming / looking for a meal with an ear out for moose calls.

jhm2023

WKR
My wife shot a moose last year at ~340 yards with her 6.5 CM using a 127gr LRX. It wasn't a big moose but still had a clean pass through and he didn't make it too far. The 6.5's penetrate really well because of the high sectional density. Just put a good bullet in the right place then enjoy some tasty moose meat.

Labdad

FNG
I think the "trend" with range it , dial it , dump it is to push bullets faster to maximize range.

Truth is most any combo can.

A concern I always had in AK, moose country is bear country. So i like heavier bullets not driven at speed of light. YMMV

hodgeman

WKR
A 6.5 will definitely kill a moose, it's been done- wait for a good shot at reasonable distance and have at it.

For my money though, I have to work pretty hard for a legal bull and don't want to watch them walk away. Both of mine have been 300+ and one was broke down with a shot to the ball joint as it was leaving the country. Not the best application for a 6.5.

AK_Hobie

FNG
A 6.5 will definitely kill a moose, it's been done- wait for a good shot at reasonable distance and have at it.

For my money though, I have to work pretty hard for a legal bull and don't want to watch them walk away. Both of mine have been 300+ and one was broke down with a shot to the ball joint as it was leaving the country. Not the best application for a 6.5.
[/QUOTE
I want to be clear that I believe that a 6.5 Creedmoor is capable of killing most animals on Earth. I believe others do as well and ask these types of questions to get feedback from others with experience. I don’t believe the OP is literally questioning that it can kill one as they are asking is it a responsible choice to carry on a moose hunt. Moose, with a few exceptions, die pretty easy and you can harvest them with a sharp stick if you desire. I’ve got a handful of them this way and was amazed at how quickly a couple of them went down with arrows that were a little farther back than I had intended. All shots were clean pass throughs despite the ribs in the way. That being said, I hunt differently with a bow. Any experienced hunter will consider the limitations of any weapon they are choosing and hunt accordingly (at least we all hope). The issue for me is the areas I hunt, the type of hunting I do as a caller and the bears that live in the area. These factors would make it irresponsible for me to carry a my 6.5 for moose. If you hunt differently then it might be a great choice for you. And as with everything, YMMV.

OP
Short Track
I tried the accubonds in my Moose gun. They group as well as the ELD-X. So I'm going with the 142g accubonds.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A ton of moose have been harvested with a 243win up here in ak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got several horror stories about moose being taken with 243s and 223s IOU’s in some of the villages I’ve spent time in. I had a guy tell me all about how a 223 is all you need for moose then watching him empty an entire magazine and then some into a poor moose that didn’t even die until I about it with my 30-06.

Unfortunately these situations seem to be very common with the “subsistence hunters” here, so many stories of moose taking 10+ rounds before they die, getting their jaws blown off by people trying to take head shots, breaking their legs then chasing them through the woods before putting another half dozen shots into them.....

I never would have believed it until I moved up here in worked out in villages.

I’ve got several horror stories about moose being taken with 243s and 223s IOU’s in some of the villages I’ve spent time in. I had a guy tell me all about how a 223 is all you need for moose then watching him empty an entire magazine and then some into a poor moose that didn’t even die until I about it with my 30-06.

Unfortunately these situations seem to be very common with the “subsistence hunters” here, so many stories of moose taking 10+ rounds before they die, getting their jaws blown off by people trying to take head shots, breaking their legs then chasing them through the woods before putting another half dozen shots into them.....

I never would have believed it until I moved up here in worked out in villages.

I believe it and have seen that also. Different culture out there
Then again Also seen same thing with 300win. Here close to town

Still I’ve also was present to a handful 1 shot harvests on bull moose with that 243win( shot placement is key)

rope

FNG
I use a 6.5 SAUM and 127 LRX @ 3222fps on my last 3 moose, 5 yards charging, 246, 329. Straight on charge through the top of the heart still not sure how he jumped in front the bullet🤔. With nothing but the scope to hide behind, I thought I was about to be stomped and gored! Float hunt @246 broadside from prone double lung and heart and 329 was a broadside from kneeling off a nice clump of willow also double lung+ heart. The 246 yard shoot took between 10 to 20 minutes to develop and 329 yards was somewhere over 30 minutes.

I did feel under gun when the dust settled, after being charged so I ordered a 338 WM, but still carry the 6.5. It’s been 5 years since the charge, still hard to believe it turned out positive.

OP
Short Track
I went back to the range with my 6.5 and shot ELD-X. 1" groups at low power on my scope. I know where the bullet is going, exactly !! The ELD-X shoot better than Accubonds in my Tikka. And Nosler.com hasn't had 6.5 hunting ammo in stock for months ! I may go with the ELD-X. Even if I have to shoot 3-4 times.

cmahoney

WKR
I killed a muley last year using my 6.5 creed with and ELDX. It was 200 yards, quartering away. The bullet went in right behind the right shoulder, broke a rib, broke the left shoulder and I recovered it right under the hide. It stayed together and looked like a perfect mushroomed hunting bullet. It was only going about 2750 out of the muzzle though.

When I use Nosler Partitions. The core separates, and exits... and the remainder fragments every where. Not much of an exit wound at all. Not sure if core separation is a bad thing. Did you recover both animals ?
I'd wager that your explanation of the partition is not accurate - Nosler Partition bullets are designed to lose THE FRONT SECTION BACK TO THE "PARTITION" about mid-point back and RETAIN APPROX. 60% OF THE PROJECTILE IN AN INTACT MASS THAT WILL PENETRATE - They've killed untold numbers of game with the reliable and consistent performance for many, MANY years now - FYI, the Accubond is designed to emulate the performance albeit in a much more streamlined profile and does on a regular basis - Nosler Partitions and Accubonds DO NOT "blow up" …..

I went back to the range with my 6.5 and shot ELD-X. 1" groups at low power on my scope. I know where the bullet is going, exactly !! The ELD-X shoot better than Accubonds in my Tikka. And Nosler.com hasn't had 6.5 hunting ammo in stock for months ! I may go with the ELD-X. Even if I have to shoot 3-4 times.
could you describe exactly HOW much "better" they shoot in your rifle ? you "know where the bullet is going, exactly" until it pierces the target's skin, THEN it's anyone's guess

mvrk28

WKR
I would describe the ELD-X as a dumpster fire of a bullet, hot garbage.

If you want to be effective with a 6.5 on large game, the 142 gr Nosler Accubond Long Range is where it's at. I would take an Accubond over any Hornady offering any day of the week. I was shooting the 129 gr version out of my 6.5CM until CA went lead free state wide and now I shoot the Hammer Hunter 124 gr bullet.

I would describe the ELD-X as a dumpster fire of a bullet, hot garbage.

If you want to be effective with a 6.5 on large game, the 142 gr Nosler Accubond Long Range is where it's at. I would take an Accubond over any Hornady offering any day of the week. I was shooting the 129 gr version out of my 6.5CM until CA went lead free state wide and now I shoot the Hammer Hunter 124 gr bullet.
I and my grandson have killed a bunch of tough game with the 6.5 120 etip with outstanding results in performance and accuracy