6.5 Creedmore

Did a bang flop on a 180 yard bear. Quartering too. Went in through neck, and exited through 1 lung, just behind the shoulder. Never seen a bang flop on a bear, but this one rolled over dead..

My other bear ran 90 yards with no heart....

Bang flop doesn't happen too often unless you disrupt the central nervous system which typically is associated with neck/high shoulder shots. Bear never drop so good shooting on your part!

OP
Short Track
Certainly a bit of luck as well. Lot's of range practice at 200 yards, not zoomed in at all. Not even sure why I practiced at low magnification, but I did.

Ive bang flopped 4 bears, all of which were close range frontal shots: 8ft with a .44(neck shot), 10 yards with a .308(chest), 15 yards with a .30-30 (head) and 40 yards with a .30-30 (chest) i think shot placement is more important than caliber as far as getting a bang flop.

fatbacks

WKR
I had to kill a grizzly at 25 yds two weeks ago with a 6.5 CM. Second grizzly I've killed with this rifle. I am in the process of building a sheep rifle with a little more horsepower because I keep running into grizzlies while sheep hunting. Neither bear did the bang flop.

I can see how a calm unsuspecting bear would be easy to kill with a 6.5 CM, a bear acting aggressive to either the hunter or the quarry will probably not bang flop unless it gets a brain or spinal cord shot. In my opinion more horsepower the better when dealing with bears... especially grizzly or brown bears

OP
Short Track
You're still here talking about it, so I guess the 6.5 did the trick.
I hunt black bear country, so I don't have those worries..

Mt Al

WKR
Just bought a CVA v2 pistol in 6.5 Creedmoor (not "more" - as if it really matters! It don't!), put a Nikon 2.5-8 pistol scope on it and can't wait to try it out. 14" barrel, single shot. Purpose is to bring along while bird hunting in case something awesome with hooves, or coyote, present themselves - NOT to be the primary big game weapon. I keep hearing great things about the 6.5CM and your experience helps.

Congrats on your bear!

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a CVA v2 pistol in 6.5 Creedmoor (not "more" - as if it really matters! It don't!), put a Nikon 2.5-8 pistol scope on it and can't wait to try it out. 14" barrel, single shot. Purpose is to bring along while bird hunting in case something awesome with hooves, or coyote, present themselves - NOT to be the primary big game weapon. I keep hearing great things about the 6.5CM and your experience helps.

Congrats on your bear!
I know this is going back a long time, but I am curious to know about your experience with your 6.5 pistol. Any info would be great: accuracy, range, chrono data, etc.

Mt Al

WKR
I know this is going back a long time, but I am curious to know about your experience with your 6.5 pistol. Any info would be great: accuracy, range, chrono data, etc.

Hoosker, short story is I sold it...in shame.

Longer story is that I bought it, per my message, to carry along bird hunting and hoped to use it for coyotes, antelope, deer, etc.. These shots can be close or 200/300 yards. I had never shot 'long range' single shot pistols before. I took it out and was shocked at how hard it was for me to hold steady at range. If I was prone, pistol steady on my pack, it was crazy accurate. Just took a lot more work than a regular rifle to hold on target. Chalk that up to being a noob with this type of pistol. Also, I rarely get the chance to be prone when hunting. It does happen, but there's grass, rocks, knolls, etc,, and I like to be able to shoot sitting vs. have to go prone.

Other issue for me was that it's very heavy for a pistol. It felt heavier than my 6.5 Grendel AR with a Law folder. I can strap my folded AR on the side of my pack, take it off and shoot accurately quicker than with the CVA, with follow up for misses (I mean, not that I ever miss....yeah...right!).

So, weight, lack of experience, time to get 'on target' vs. experience, familiarity and confidence with accuracy and I knew I wouldn't be carrying it for the intended purpose. When I'm out bird hunting and deer/coyotes/antelope might be on the menu I strap the AR to my pack and feel much better about it, even with the tradeoff from 6.5 CM to 6.5 Grendel.

The CVA is an awesome pistol, was crazy accurate, and somewhat compact. Just not the right solution for me.

In my perfect world, I would have a crazy light weight single shot rifle in 6.5 Grendel, 16" barreled with a folding stock.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Hoosker, short story is I sold it...in shame.

Longer story is that I bought it, per my message, to carry along bird hunting and hoped to use it for coyotes, antelope, deer, etc.. These shots can be close or 200/300 yards. I had never shot 'long range' single shot pistols before. I took it out and was shocked at how hard it was for me to hold steady at range. If I was prone, pistol steady on my pack, it was crazy accurate. Just took a lot more work than a regular rifle to hold on target. Chalk that up to being a noob with this type of pistol. Also, I rarely get the chance to be prone when hunting. It does happen, but there's grass, rocks, knolls, etc,, and I like to be able to shoot sitting vs. have to go prone.

Other issue for me was that it's very heavy for a pistol. It felt heavier than my 6.5 Grendel AR with a Law folder. I can strap my folded AR on the side of my pack, take it off and shoot accurately quicker than with the CVA, with follow up for misses (I mean, not that I ever miss....yeah...right!).

So, weight, lack of experience, time to get 'on target' vs. experience, familiarity and confidence with accuracy and I knew I wouldn't be carrying it for the intended purpose. When I'm out bird hunting and deer/coyotes/antelope might be on the menu I strap the AR to my pack and feel much better about it, even with the tradeoff from 6.5 CM to 6.5 Grendel.

The CVA is an awesome pistol, was crazy accurate, and somewhat compact. Just not the right solution for me.

In my perfect world, I would have a crazy light weight single shot rifle in 6.5 Grendel, 16" barreled with a folding stock.

Great feedback. Thanks.

The main reason I was asking was mainly for ballistic information. I saw Savage's new 110 PCS (bolt action pistol) and it's offered on 6.5 CM and 308 and was curious about performance with the short barrel.

Also the Savage has a Picatinny mount for a folding stock as well that I would for sure slap on and treat it more like a compact rifle.