6.5 for elk

If you practice 1000 yd shooting on a regular basis, Shoot a gun that delivers the ethical energy at 1000 yds to kill an Elk and conditions are good then more power to the people that want this shot. I shoot at 1000 yds several times a year with my 26 lb 308 that is built for 1000 yds. I am capable of shooting that far. I just choose not to with my 300 Ultra mag hunting rifle. My problem was the people that buy the $ 10K - $15K rifle that is 1000 yd capable but don't practice and attempt to shoot an animal just because they bought the gun..... That is where I have a problem.

wyosam

WKR
The old 6.5 hipster express delivered on a cow for me this morning. 127 LRX, 388 quartering away. Diagonal through the boiler room, made a mess of the lungs, broke the offside shoulder and exited. Good wound channel, was hosing blood for the 2 steps she took. Longer than I’d prefer to shoot, but I was cliffed out and going around would have gotten me either winded or seen long before gaining any distance. Guess that’s why I practice out to 6, even with a 300 preferred and 400 hard limit.

She sure didn’t seem any less dead than with anything else I’ve shot elk with- though breaking the offside usually puts them straight down with heavier bullets from my ‘06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.5 creedmore big enough round for elk? Using the 143g ELDx
I was wondering that exact question. Headed for 3rd rifle in CO. I have a 6.5CM that I used successfully last month on a goat with that exact setup. I have a 7 rmg which is probably better suited but justbhaven't shot it enough this year.

6.5cm seems to be the new craze at the local gun shops. I'm not saying it's a bad round but it has definitely proven to be a great elk hunting round. I personally was in this situation when shopping for a rifle just a few weeks ago. I ended up going with a tried, true, and proven 30-06 myself. You can't go wrong either way though!
I finally got a 6.5CM after going on a couple of coues deer hunts in AZ and while elk is much bigger, the guys I hunted with told me they use the same rifle for elk. What sealed the deal is when a former Marine sniper friend of mine separately told me he uses 6.5 CM for elk. Also, less flinch now :)

brsnow

WKR
I had too much time on my hands this winter and got caught up in longer range. Getting back into the woods recently I realized I won’t shoot past 350, that is a long way hunting for me. My rifle has resorted back to a 3-10x42 4A reticle moving forward. Inside of 400 I believe it comes down to placement.

Yeah. I ve seen this. Thanks for the reminder b I actually do agree with alot of what's he's saying. I personally wouldn't shoot an elk past 300-350 yds with the 6.5 I do not think. I'd want to make sure there's enough energy to down it.

I was actually contemplating buying a 6.5 until I saw this and talked to a friend who is an avid avid rifle elk hunter and has hunted them with many calibers. When he told me the Creedmore should be called the “need more”, I take heed. I am picking up my new Xbolt Hell’s Canyon 7 mm rem mag Saturday because it’s a great all around caliber at 500 yards and in and can’t wait to shoot it

brsnow

WKR
I was actually contemplating buying a 6.5 until I saw this and talked to a friend who is an avid avid rifle elk hunter and has hunted them with many calibers. When he told me the Creedmore should be called the “need more”, I take heed. I am picking up my new Xbolt Hell’s Canyon 7 mm rem mag Saturday because it’s a great all around caliber at 500 yards and in and can’t wait to shoot it
The video seemed to imply that at standard ranges there is not much difference. My hunting experience has shown with .270, .308, and 6.5. If you are reaching out past the standard ranges but less than 1300 the 7mm mag might be warrranted :)

Bobbyboe

WKR
FIELD RESULTS

I shot mature bull elk (see "Thank you WY" post for photos) with a 6.5 creed this year. I was using 140gr eldm factory loaded ammo. The elk was standing straight broadside at 300 yards. The first shot was behind the shoulder which caused the bull to hunch up and begin the typical slow death walk. I racked a second round and placed it in the same spot. This shot dropped the bull in its tracks.

Upon field dressing I determined that the bullets did not exit or even make it to the far side of the elk. Upon entry they exploded. The entry holes were pinholes. My conclusion is, if the bull actually ran there would have been zero blood. Yes they worked, but I would not use 140gr eldm's or a 6.5 on elk again.

brsnow

WKR
FIELD RESULTS

I shot mature bull elk (see "Thank you WY" post for photos) with a 6.5 creed this year. I was using 140gr eldm factory loaded ammo. The elk was standing straight broadside at 300 yards. The first shot was behind the shoulder which caused the bull to hunch up and begin the typical slow death walk. I racked a second round and placed it in the same spot. This shot dropped the bull in its tracks.

Upon field dressing I determined that the bullets did not exit or even make it to the far side of the elk. Upon entry they exploded. The entry holes were pinholes. My conclusion is, if the bull actually ran there would have been zero blood. Yes they worked, but I would not use 140gr eldm's or a 6.5 on elk again.
I don’t field dress elk, but it is certainly nice when they drop in sight. I avoid lead bullets since my young kids eat it, But always nice when they drop in sight.

The video seemed to imply that at standard ranges there is not much difference. My hunting experience has shown with .270, .308, and 6.5. If you are reaching out past the standard ranges but less than 1300 the 7mm mag might be warrranted :)

I rifle hunted elk only once. It was after I started bow hunting and bought a cow rifle landowner tag 1 year when I didn’t draw an elk tag here in NM.

Before I started elk hunting and bow hunting in ‘08, I hunted deer with a Ruger M77 7 mag for a dozen years. I was dangerous with that rifle and it got too easy. My reason for getting into bow hunting.

The cow I killed before selling the gun was a 425 yard 1 shot kill with a 140 gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip. My favorite round for that M77.

When I didn’t draw a NM archery tag this year I bought a landowner cow rifle unit wide tag in 16E for December. I’m excited to shoot a rifle again after such a long layoff

Bobbyboe

WKR
I don’t field dress elk, but it is certainly nice when they drop in sight. I avoid lead bullets since my young kids eat it, But always nice when they drop in sight.

It had to be gutted because it was sunset in grizzly country. Had to return the next day to quarter and haul out meat. I got cut several times by the shrapnel in the lungs and hearts.

brsnow

WKR
I rifle hunted elk only once. It was after I started bow hunting and bought a cow rifle landowner tag 1 year when I didn’t draw an elk tag here in NM.

Before I started elk hunting and bow hunting in ‘08, I hunted deer with a Ruger M77 7 mag for a dozen years. I was dangerous with that rifle and it got too easy. My reason for getting into bow hunting.

The cow I killed before selling the gun was a 425 yard 1 shot kill with a 140 gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip. My favorite round for that M77.

When I didn’t draw a NM archery tag this year I bought a landowner cow rifle unit wide tag in 16E for December. I’m excited to shoot a rifle again after such a long layoff
Similar background, archery is my first choice but have really enjoyed the rifle elk hunts I have done the last 5 years. I also use a 50lb bow, so I am probably a poor source of information.

Similar background, archery is my first choice but have really enjoyed the rifle elk hunts I have done the last 5 years. I also use a 50lb bow, so I am probably a poor source of information.

The first time I bowhunted I had a herd bull scream in my face At 20 feet and I was hooked! The next couple years I killed cows with my bow. The first time I didn’t draw I bought the rifle tag and had to have elk meat. I love elk meat! Especially a fat 5 year old cow ;)

FIELD RESULTS

i shot a bull with the 208 eldm, took 6 shots before he tipped over. 188 yards the first 4 and the last 2 were 25 feet, all shots exploded on impact. I found a bunch of fragments in the meat not much bigger than kernals of powder

T28w

WKR
FIELD RESULTS

So just curious as to why you wouldn’t try a diff bullet vs a diff caliber, unless u just want something new