6.5 for elk

Braaap

WKR
FIELD RESULTS

I shot mature bull elk (see "Thank you WY" post for photos) with a 6.5 creed this year. I was using 140gr eldm factory loaded ammo. The elk was standing straight broadside at 300 yards. The first shot was behind the shoulder which caused the bull to hunch up and begin the typical slow death walk. I racked a second round and placed it in the same spot. This shot dropped the bull in its tracks.

Upon field dressing I determined that the bullets did not exit or even make it to the far side of the elk. Upon entry they exploded. The entry holes were pinholes. My conclusion is, if the bull actually ran there would have been zero blood. Yes they worked, but I would not use 140gr eldm's or a 6.5 on elk again.
I started a thread in the firearm forum about my experience shooting a mature bull a month ago with my 6.5 cm and 140 grain Accubond. Shot him twice from 250, second shot as quick as I could after the first shot and he fell over and died, never took a step.

I will be using this caliber and bullet on elk in the future.

Attachments

• 6296F7AB-E724-4B61-A4EA-102D9B74CB49.jpeg
    6296F7AB-E724-4B61-A4EA-102D9B74CB49.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 66

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
FIELD RESULTS

I shot mature bull elk (see "Thank you WY" post for photos) with a 6.5 creed this year. I was using 140gr eldm factory loaded ammo. The elk was standing straight broadside at 300 yards. The first shot was behind the shoulder which caused the bull to hunch up and begin the typical slow death walk. I racked a second round and placed it in the same spot. This shot dropped the bull in its tracks.

Upon field dressing I determined that the bullets did not exit or even make it to the far side of the elk. Upon entry they exploded. The entry holes were pinholes. My conclusion is, if the bull actually ran there would have been zero blood. Yes they worked, but I would not use 140gr eldm's or a 6.5 on elk again.
You have to expect potential for poor results when using a match bullet. The manufacturers specifically state "Not Intended For Hunting Purposes." Can't blame the cartridge/caliber/firearm on poor choice of bullets. 2 elk, 2 bears and a dozen deer have been thumped with the 143gr ELDX that Hornady designed to be hunted with. If the bullet doesn't pass through, the penetration is still admirable. Finally ran out of them so I'm moving on to a 140gr Accubond, which is IMO the perfect hunting bullet for the cartridge. But many others that are made specifically for hunting will be better than any match bullet.

I hate to be that guy, and I've already probably said this as this thread is becoming massive. LEARN TO SHOOT and PRACTICE. My view on everything is always changing, but I am more and more convinced that good shot placement is the key, and that good shot placement comes from practice and experience. I don't buy the bigger makes up for bad shooting theory. Bigger just extends the range, that's all. A .243 will kill an elk as dead as a 300WM. The .243 will top out at a much shorter distance than a 300WM.

It all comes down to range and accuracy in my opinion. I know everyone has their own view based on experience (or more likely based on what they read on the internet, because how many of us have been involved in enough elk shots to make an experienced opionion?). I've seen enough to be convinced that a good shooter who knows his range is more important than caliber.

wyosam

WKR
I hate to be that guy, and I've already probably said this as this thread is becoming massive. LEARN TO SHOOT and PRACTICE. My view on everything is always changing, but I am more and more convinced that good shot placement is the key, and that good shot placement comes from practice and experience. I don't buy the bigger makes up for bad shooting theory. Bigger just extends the range, that's all. A .243 will kill an elk as dead as a 300WM. The .243 will top out at a much shorter distance than a 300WM.

It all comes down to range and accuracy in my opinion. I know everyone has their own view based on experience (or more likely based on what they read on the internet, because how many of us have been involved in enough elk shots to make an experienced opionion?). I've seen enough to be convinced that a good shooter who knows his range is more important than caliber.

^This. If you want to shoot something big, thats great. But shoot it a lot, and be proficient and confident in being able to hit where you’re aiming on game (and aim at the right spot, study some elk anatomy). Don’t count on it saving you from poor shooting, because it wont. Practice a lot, from field positions. Do that when you’re winded, too (climb a hill, do some push ups, whatever). Do both of those some more. Relax and don’t rush the shot. Aim small miss small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you are fine using the 6.5 Creedmoor on elk. It seems like the Creedmoor typically shoots very accurately and most folks are able to use it to it's full advantage because it doesn't kick the snot out of you every time you pull the trigger. Just pick a good bullet. I would lean towards one of these and pick the one that my rifle shoots the best and that is what I would use to hunt everything with when using the 6.5 Creedmoor. I like to find a really good bullet and load that my rifle likes and that is what I stick with and use for everything. It doesn't matter if it's my 6mm Remington, 280AI, or my 30-06. One exceptional/accurate load for each rifle.

Nosler 120 gr. E-tip
Nosler 125 gr. Partition
Nosler 130 gr. Accubond
Nosler 140 gr. Accubond or Partition

I think you are fine using the 6.5 Creedmoor on elk. It seems like the Creedmoor typically shoots very accurately and most folks are able to use it to it's full advantage because it doesn't kick the snot out of you every time you pull the trigger. Just pick a good bullet. I would lean towards one of these and pick the one that my rifle shoots the best and that is what I would use to hunt everything with when using the 6.5 Creedmoor. I like to find a really good bullet and load that my rifle likes and that is what I stick with and use for everything. It doesn't matter if it's my 6mm Remington, 280AI, or my 30-06. One exceptional/accurate load for each rifle.

Nosler 120 gr. E-tip
Nosler 125 gr. Partition
Nosler 130 gr. Accubond
Nosler 140 gr. Accubond or Partition

I tinker with loads until I find a good one. Then I spend tinkering time making ammo and at the range. But where is all the rifle powder! Nobody has had any for months :(

KurtR

WKR
That guy is a blow hard moron who proves any one can make a you tube video. I have tortured my self through other garbage videos he has put out. I cant believe his shoulder isnt in a sling from patting him self on the back so much. my brother sends me those videos just because he knows how aggravating and idiotic that guy is. The real gun smith...... i can think of a million smiths that are better.

pucmw11

FNG
I shot my Bull last year with the 143 eldx at 525 yards. Love the 6.5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Realistically probably down to 1400ftlbs @ about 2100fps. Not quite min hoped for energy, but still cooking for a broadside shot. Drop quick or take a bit?

pucmw11

FNG
well you might be waiting a while for him to reply to your question....

View attachment 630874
Maybe so... However I do find it mildly frustrating that you revive an old thread and people complain. You post a new thread and people complain about not using the search feature. You read 100 pages of threads on a topic and seek a 1st hand recount of how something panned out (on an older post), people complain. He may never respond but why is that of concern to you? I'm just trying to make caliber decisions on future rifle purchases and not seeking someone's snarky responses. I'd love and would welcome useful feedback. I'm trying to leave a light footprint by NOT posting redundant posts, but I am seeking information I am not finding.

svivian

WKR
Maybe so... However I do find it mildly frustrating that you revive an old thread and people complain. You post a new thread and people complain about not using the search feature. You read 100 pages of threads on a topic and seek a 1st hand recount of how something panned out (on an older post), people complain. He may never respond but why is that of concern to you? I'm just trying to make caliber decisions on future rifle purchases and not seeking someone's snarky responses. I'd love and would welcome useful feedback. I'm trying to leave a light footprint by NOT posting redundant posts, but I am seeking information I am not finding.
Plenty of info on here already.... ill save you some time and even link one for you

pucmw11

FNG
Plenty of info on here already.... ill save you some time and even link one for you

Thank you, I'll read through it