6.5 Grendel for B. Bear?

280Ackley

WKR
As mentioned above it's all about shot placement and hunting conditions. I carried mine this year while I was hunting bears with dogs. I didn't get a shot but have no doubt a treed bear would fall when shot in the head with a 120gr Corelokt.

Thanks, Dinny
Why would you shoot it in the head?

ianpadron

WKR
Cartridge doesn't really mean much.

Plug in the load data to a ballistic table and see what range you're pushing a hunting grade bullet out to with adequate velocity to reliably open it up. Energy is always a good indicator or killing potential as well.

Instinct tells me a match grade bullet out of a Grendel would be more than enough out to a couple hundred yards.

Dinny

FNG
Plug in the load data to a ballistic table and see what range you're pushing a hunting grade bullet out to with adequate velocity to reliably open it up. Energy is always a good indicator or killing potential as well.

I can't seem to locate it now but the 65Grendel website had a list of bullets along with their listed effective ranges based on published velocity for reliable expansion. While it may have applications for long range target work it's a {relatively} short range hunting cartridge.

Thanks, Dinny

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t mean to start up a shit storm but wanted to ask y’all if 6.5 Grendel is an adequate cartridge for Black Bear . I use the Grendel for hunting blacktail so I’d be nice if it could help me fill my bear tag as well ... thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve killed over 10 deer with a 20” barreled Grendel, all with 123 gr. SST. The furthest 2 we’re about 170 yds. Most went 0 - 40 yds. The Grendel is a slow round with limited capabilities, and should be treated as such. Moose have been killed with smaller, but that doesn’t make it a good choice. I’ve not taken a bear with a Grendel, but think it would be adequate to 200 yds.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not wanting to start a debate regarding the 6.5's. I've owned an outfitting business and guided mainly in Northern Idaho. I've employed dozens of local men and women as guides and wrangler's . I always took interest in the weapons that they brought to camp. They consisted mostly of 30/06, 300 win. Mags and 7 mm. Most clients used these calibers as well. We all know that a 6.5 can kill a bear, but in my professional opinion it's marginal. I've been involved in one way or another with the killing of dozens of bears and it's from this experience I speak. I think we have a moral responsibility to kill our game as quickly and humanly as possible. In Northern Idaho most of the area is thick and brushy. A wounded bear is often a lost bear. They typically don't bleed well and can go a long way even though they are mortally wounded. I've used dogs to find wounded bears and you'd be amazed how far they can go. Most of my fellow outfitters that run bear with dogs are critical about the calibers their clients carry as well. They don't want a mortally wounded bear fighting and killing dogs. I am not biased toward any caliber, but I believe in using a proven caliber that is more than capable of humanly killing the intended animal under all conditions. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth.
Sounds like you should just use crossbows with some nasty fixed blades at short range over bait. Broadheads turn bears inside out. Every bear kill I've been on with archery equipment hss had shorter, and better, blood trails than any rifle shot bears.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
my logic is this after one bear kill. in open country or open timber a tracking job will not have near the pucker factor as a tracking job in the dark timber of canada or south east alaska. i used a 300 win mag cause you cant see you hand in front of your face at 12 noon in the dark stuff.