6.5 Grendel with 100gr Barnes TTSX for elk?

GotDraw?

WKR
Having thought about this a bit...

I can tell you that my father wouldn't let me hunt big game (deer) until I could actually carry my own gun for the whole hunt and hold it solid on my own for an offhand shot if needed. Until then, I just had to wait... until I was 14 and until then I had to be (and was) satisfied shooting squirrels with a small 22. And I can tell you that shooting a 22 was great fun, and great practice.

It amazes me that more and more folks are putting younger and younger kids on bipods and tripods to "hunt" larger and larger game... shooting farther and longer distances.

Not sure where this lands in the scheme of things, and to each his own, but it is a serious question: At what point are we pandering to please the kid and handing them an experience on a platter to serve our own needy egos when we do this?

Isn't part of life's lesson and maturity sometimes not getting immediate/fast gratification? Doesn't it mean anything anymore to have to earn it and grow into it? Is it no longer ok when a child has to simply having to wait a couple years? Do these things even still matter anymore or count toward making the achievement of a goal all the more special?

JL

Btaylor

WKR
Isn't part of life's lesson and maturity sometimes not getting immediate/fast gratification? Doesn't it mean anything anymore to have to earn it and grow into it? Is it no longer ok when a child has to simply having to wait a couple years? Do these things even still matter anymore or count toward making the achievement of a goal all the more special?

JL

No. Now is not fast enough. Goals are for losers. If you cant win the first time, pick a different game. If you cant find a game you can win, then just give opinions on social media and become an influencer.

Can you buy her a rifle? It sounds like you are using your rifles for her? Or are these rifles set up for her? Ruger American makes an amazing and accurate affordable rifle.

As far as caliber, what is wrong with the 6.5 creed? Or 243? Or Grendel? I know people that have dropped moose with each of those calibers. Numerous times.

I e also watched someone hit a moose 4 times with a 375 H&H and it didn’t stay down. Shot placement is key.

I can tell you that my father wouldn't let me hunt big game (deer) until I could actually carry my own gun for the whole hunt and hold it solid on my own for an offhand shot if needed. Until then, I just had to wait... until I was 14 and until then I had to be (and was) satisfied shooting squirrels with a small 22. And I can tell you that shooting a 22 was great fun, and great practice.

It amazes me that more and more folks are putting younger and younger kids on bipods and tripods to "hunt" larger and larger game... shooting farther and longer distances.

Not sure where this lands in the scheme of things, and to each his own, but it is a serious question: At what point are we pandering to please the kid and handing them an experience on a platter to serve our own needy egos when we do this?

JL
I've often wondered the same exact thing.

JL
Very interesting point. Not helpful to the op at this juncture, but i agree with your thought process.

OP
hipshotgunslinger

hipshotgunslinger

Lil-Rokslider

JL
Heck, I just want to spend quality time with my daughter. She's a natural shooter and can already shoot a 22 pistol better than a lot of guys I know. I want her to have the experience and see something other than the walls of a hunting cabin. You see my wife is as big of a hunter as me so I don't have someone to stay & watch the kids, this is what we do as a family.

IF she gets a shot I want to prepare her with the biggest gun she can handle well, with the best bullet choice for that caliber/velocity. After that & getting her practice, I've got her on her pointed in the right direction at least.

Didn't intend for this to be philosophical debate. I've been shooting guns since I was 5 and squirrel & rabbit hunting since I was 7 or 8. I was learning to skin and tan hides before I was 10. From my perspective I'm starting her a little late, but to each their own. I do appreciate all your responses even if I don't agree with all of them!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
hipshotgunslinger

hipshotgunslinger

Lil-Rokslider
I'd rather see a father take his daughter hunting and spend quality time with her than ignore his kids by sticking a video game or cell phone in their hands to shut them up. Fathers, guide your kids in the way they should go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR

JL

My dad had a very similar philosophy. We had to be able to handle his rifle, which was a light Ithaca LSA 55 .308. According to what everyone tells you, he did it all wrong. He even made us stay out when we were cold sometimes.
All three of his boys love to hunt and hunt with him today.........

tdhanses

WKR
Personally I would buy her a sub $500 gun that fits her and is either a 6.5cm, 7mm-08 or 308. I would put a brake on it as the added sound doesn’t matter when practicing with hearing protection but will help with felt recoil which will scare a kid more then the sound. Get her shooting a 22 and slowly move her up to the rifle she’ll use.

I saw a dad forcing his two teenage boys to shoot a 30-06 at the range the other day, you could tell they were scared of the recoil. Now if he had slowly brought them up or at the very least had them put 100 rounds of 22 downrange first I don’t think it’s as much of a mind game.

OP
hipshotgunslinger

hipshotgunslinger

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I would buy her a sub $500 gun that fits her and is either a 6.5cm, 7mm-08 or 308. I would put a brake on it as the added sound doesn’t matter when practicing with hearing protection but will help with felt recoil which will scare a kid more then the sound. Get her shooting a 22 and slowly move her up to the rifle she’ll use.

I saw a dad forcing his two teenage boys to shoot a 30-06 at the range the other day, you could tell they were scared of the recoil. Now if he had slowly brought them up or at the very least had them put 100 rounds of 22 downrange first I don’t think it’s as much of a mind game.

This is exactly what I did. I bought a Thompson Center Dimension 6.5CM for $249, slapped a Meopro 3-9x42 on it, put my suppressor on it and she went to town. Got trigger springs on order from M*Carbo that hopefully get that crappy trigger down below 6.5#. That's right, the trigger is about 6.5# with it adjusted as light as I can get it. She is used to my 1.5# Bergara trigger so going to this trigger was tough for her. She is shooting MOA groups and ready for CO Season 3. Thanks to all for your help/comments.

I'm not advocating a 1.5# trigger for a 12yr old for hunting, but if you are used to that going to a 6.5# is difficult.