6.5 Grendel

Who is using a 6.5 Grendel on there ar platforms.

I went with a aero precision upper. A spikes tactical lower.

I am trying to decided on which barrel to order? I am set on 18 inches I think.

What brand do you guys like?

I am a fan of the AR and so the Grendel made sense to me. I have my 16” from the Grendel Hunter. It has shot well for me. Its an awesome round when suppressed.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Like my flutted Grendel hunter. I have that in 20” and a faxon in 12”.

I got a BCA grendel upper and it shot 2-3 moa at best. I put in a new saturn/liberty barrel and it's shooting 0.6moa with eld match and 0.5 with cheaper federal 90gr.

I have a 20" Lilja midweight barrel. I built this to drop bombs on coyotes a long ways away.

If you're a post up, sit, call kind of guy I would think a lighter/shorter barrel would be more practical.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've got a cheap one I built with an 80% lower. Even though it isn't an expensive one, its very accurate.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
I run one with a 20" BHW polygonal barrel. Don't love it or hate it necessarily, but it groups 123 SST's great.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

35remy

FNG
I have a 16” BCA side charge upper that is a shooter. Cheap enough that I don’t feel bad about a rattle-can paint job and knocking it around a bit. I use the Grendel suppressed for hogs and as my 4wheeler gun down at my camp. Lately I have been running a Caldwell brass catcher attached to it to save that brass for reloading (currently using 123 SST’s over LVR). Brass catcher doesn’t get in the way as much as I thought it would as long as I don’t empty my mag.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Precision Firearms 6.5G with a Krieger 22" barrel. It shoots great, and does a nice job on pigs and deer.

Last edited:
Barrel and trigger go a long way in an AR.

My 20” 6.5G PSA 1/7 barrel is finicky. Doesn’t shoot the 120s or 123s that well. I have some 85 gr handloads that are solid but will eventually get another barrel.

ukiyo

FNG
Who is using a 6.5 Grendel on there ar platforms.

I went with a aero precision upper. A spikes tactical lower.

I am trying to decided on which barrel to order? I am set on 18 inches I think.

What brand do you guys like?
I have an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel AR with custom 24" barrel. It shoots very well.

ukiyo

FNG
I have an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel AR with custom 24" barrel. It shoots very well.
Text below taken from the Alexander Arms FAQ page:
Usage and Effectiveness
What are the differences in barrel lengths and what length is better for given circumstances?

This mainly refers to the 6.5 Grendel as the .50 Beowulf® is best in a 16" barrel. The two 6.5 Grendel barrel lengths that are best suited for hunting are the 24" and 20" barrels. Shorter barrels may be applied, but, beyond slightly lighter weight and handier silhouette, they have no advantage and give up velocity. However, they are superb choices for general shooting or a utility rifle. A 24" 6.5 Grendel is well-suited to most hunting applications and, if one can live with the longer barrel, it is the most versatile of the 6.5 Grendel barrels. Accuracy is superb and the rifle is capable out to 1,000 yards and longer with the right ammunition. The balance of the gun assists stability in most position-shooting and it is excellent for use from a bipod. This one barrel length can bridge across a range of shooting tasks including long-range varmint work. A 20" barrel 6.5 Grendel is both shorter and lighter than the 24" gun, which is a big consideration if the gun must be carried. While it gives up some stability from a bipod, it is just a versatile.

ptmn

FNG
I'm running a 22" Grendel Hunter upper on an 80% lower that I finished. Can't provide much info, since I haven't completed the barrel break in procedure yet. So far I only have 18 rounds through it, which took 1/4 of a day. During the procedure, I was getting about 1 1/4 MOA. I'm hoping once I finish breaking in the barrel and I replace the crappy stock trigger with my Geissele SSA-E trigger I can get sub MOA. Keeping my fingers crossed

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
I'm actually thinking of selling my 6.5G upper. 20" BHW, Midwest industries handguard, SAA receiver and bolt, BCM gunfighter charging handle. PM me if you're interested.
3042e5621b84c045251f1f45ef89e338.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

shortyrut

FNG
Have an Atheris build, 16 inch mid length gas, shoots almost everything as well as I can shoot.

Weldor

WKR
Faxon 20" suppressed, I still can't believe how accurate this cartridge is!