6.5 in AR Platform

I’ve been threatening for years to build a long range coyote/wolf gun in an AR platform. I really drug my feet on getting this thing finished, but I’ve finally got it done. It was my first AR10 build and turned out pretty sweet. Anyone running a 6.5 in an evil black rifle?😂 I’m excited to see how accurate I can get some handloads to shoot. I’m really hating how heavy it is and might have to look at a Proof CF Barrel down the road.
96B7D5A6-99B4-4698-9272-AC90E518447F.jpeg

Tahoe1305

WKR
I built a light weight AR10 a few years back and it’s a blast. Shoots about 1MOA out of 16” barrel. Rifle weighed 5.5lbs without scope or magazine. 6.75 full up. Happy to share parts list as needed to help.

Attachments

• 9B47F49B-5DEE-4497-A41D-876712AD416B.png
    9B47F49B-5DEE-4497-A41D-876712AD416B.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
OP
Travis Hobbs
I built a light weight AR10 a few years back and it’s a blast. Shoots about 1MOA out of 16” barrel. Rifle weighed 5.5lbs without scope or magazine. 6.75 full up. Happy to share parts list as needed to help.

That would be awesome if you don’t mind.... that thing looks sweet.. I got this 20” barrel for a great price from Ballistic Advantage last year, but I’m really wishing I would have spent some more money and went shorter just to save some weight.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Easiest way to shave ounces is with the following 3 pieces of equipment (all of these come with a pretty big cost obviously):

1) receiver set. 2A armament XANTHOS-lite 16oz. (Saves 1/2 lb over std)

2) barrel. Faxon 16” gunner 6.5C 30oz. (Saves 36oz over what BA is saying on their 20” SS6.5)

3) bolt. JL Billet Titanium 308 bolt 10.5oz (saves ~ 1/2 # over std).

You can also save 3-6 oz on a lighter hand guard and you can save about the same adjusting the buffer system and maybe a bit more with a new stock. The rest of the savings comes from small pieces of fractions of an ounce or less.

It gets pretty expensive quick when you start swapping parts out for titanium. Also making that bolt light creates a small headache with tuning but just takes a bit of gas adjusting.

Also compare CF barrels to steel ones on weight. If I recall it is always a weight savings. It is for similar profile (a bull CF will be lighter than a bull steel) but i don’t need a bull barrel and thin profiles steel is lighter.

If I were you I’d focus on barrel and “maybe” receiver set, the bolt would be if you really want to “commit.”

Lastly, I wouldn’t be too worried about shaving inches off the barrel or velocity. My handloads of 129 ABLR come out at 2750fps which retains 1000ft-lb of energy and expansion beyond 600 yds so more than I’m willing to shoot.

Hope that helps

OP
Travis Hobbs
Thanks again man! I’m going to order that Faxon Barrel! That’s a big weight savings right there wear it matters!

Man I've got two stripped Aero Precision AR10 lowers and chomping at the bit... pretty set on doing 6.5 CM since I have two bolts in that caliber, but might do a 308 in the other just for the cheaper ammo. Sweet rig - can't wait to upgrade from my multiple 15 builds! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, what kind of scope rings are you running? I just picked up the Nikon cantilever mount for the 30 mm SWFA 10x I just bought but haven't blasted yet (on my Grendel).

Tahoe1305

WKR
Man I've got two stripped Aero Precision AR10 lowers and chomping at the bit... pretty set on doing 6.5 CM since I have two bolts in that caliber, but might do a 308 in the other just for the cheaper ammo. Sweet rig - can't wait to upgrade from my multiple 15 builds! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, what kind of scope rings are you running? I just picked up the Nikon cantilever mount for the 30 mm SWFA 10x I just bought but haven't blasted yet (on my Grendel).
Best bang for buck and weight for scope mount IMO is aero precision. They are light and simple and look good (3oz).

Keep in mind AR10s aren’t as universal as AR15s so I’d recommend matching upper and lower recoverers. So if you have two Aero Precision lowers I’d stick with their uppers too. If I wasn’t trying light as possible I’d get AP. They make good stuff.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Thanks again man! I’m going to order that Faxon Barrel! That’s a big weight savings right there wear it matters!
2A makes a 20” barrel (pencil) that’s roughly the same price and only 3oz penalty. Still save nearly 2lbs on you old one. Just FYI. I like 16”.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Yeah the Grendel is fun too. I have a 20”. For those debating on small frame Grendel vs large frame Creedmoor, using same bullet (say 129 gr) I get 2750 out of a 16” Creedmoor and 2600 out of a 20” Grendel. Figure that may help someone.

I’ve got a handful of PSA builds that are slick for the price and great beaters to keep in the truck for coyotes and such. Check out Kotaboy’s review of their 6.5 CM offering. Pretty convincing!

OP
Travis Hobbs
I’ve got a handful of PSA builds that are slick for the price and great beaters to keep in the truck for coyotes and such. Check out Kotaboy’s review of their 6.5 CM offering. Pretty convincing!

That’s a great deal!

I have a PSA in .223 that I really like for what I was into it.

AKYZ450F

FNG
I built one and used it on Kodiak for deer in November.
link to the build thread

Last edited:

I'd love your parts list if you still have it!!!