6.5 or 300WM lightweight rifle for Big Game?

CR83

FNG
Looking to have a custom rifle built for big game hunting (Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, maybe sheep if I am lucky) and want one rifle to do it all.

Based on my research so far I have narrowed it down to two rounds. So the big question, 6.5 PRC or 300WM? I want a rifle on the lighter side for backpack hunting, hence the 6.5. I love my 300 but feel like the recoil might be a little much on lightweight rifle. Currently shoot a 300WM 12# rifle but want something in the sub 9# rifle fully kitted out.

Welcome to any and all feedback!

hodgeman

WKR
Looking to have a custom rifle built for big game hunting and want one rifle to do it all.

You pretty much described the entire rationale behind a .300.... as much as I like the various 6.5s, they're not a "one rifle" solution. A .300 in the 8 pound range is completely manageable for most folks. They hit you back, but unless you're shooting a lot at a bench, it's not a problem.

Cody_W

WKR
What kind of range are you expecting to shoot?
Looking to have a custom rifle built for big game hunting (Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, maybe sheep if I am lucky) and want one rifle to do it all.

Based on my research so far I have narrowed it down to two rounds. So the big question, 6.5 PRC or 300WM? I want a rifle on the lighter side for backpack hunting, hence the 6.5. I love my 300 but feel like the recoil might be a little much on lightweight rifle. Currently shoot a 300WM 12# rifle but want something in the sub 9# rifle fully kitted out.

Welcome to any and all feedback!

What kind of range do you expect to be shooting at?

carter33

WKR
I think it depends on wether you fall into “shot placement is everything” crowd or the “bigger round more energy to help kill if the shot isn’t perfect” crowd. I think both arguments are valid.

I was somewhat torn as you are when I had my first rifle built. I went with a .300 win mag and thought I wouldn’t buy a new rifle for a long time but a year n a half later I am having one built in 6.5 PRC. That being said if I had no custom rifles and was starting with my first I would go with a .300 win mag again just so I would never have to second guess wether I am packing enough gun.

fatbacks

WKR
If you can’t do both I’d go 300. Give this podcast a listen. Has some good points about 300 vs 6.5.

996407a4eb275167043eeacb3c194fc5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you thought about a 300 win mag with a muzzle brake? I have a couple with brakes and love shooting them. Lowers the recoil a lot. Really helps with a light rifle.

wyosam

WKR
Honestly damn near anything can be a one gun solution. I find your “final two” to be interesting since they are so far apart. There are a ton of good options in between if looking for a do it all. Yes, the 300wm will work on anything in North America, or on the planet for that matter. The 6.5s (especially the faster ones) will also do that, but would raise some eyebrows, like for the big bears in Alaska for instance- though many wouldn’t hesitate to use them. Any of the .284 cartridges that I can think of would make fine “one guns”, as would the .270. How did you arrive at the two you’ve narrowed to?

It’s fun to crunch the numbers and analyze cartridge or bullet choices to death, but the reality is that pretty much any thing from 6mm on up could arguably be a one gun solution.

A short Proof barrel is the way to go if you're looking for a light rifle to hump around the woods. 7mm-08 or 308 hold up well (velocity wise) to chopping the barrel down, without the shoulder punch of the magnums. Personally like the 300wm for all North American big game - but the previously mentioned calibers will surely get the job done.

I know you narrowed down your calibers but if you looked into 7mm you’re really covered. Super high bc options and bullet weight choices. Perfect middle ground of your chosen calibers. Seen a 7wsm 195 grain Berger kill a bull at 960 yards one shot.

isu22andy

WKR
I got a 7 rem mag two years ago and thought I had the do all gun . Come to find out its expensive to practice with shooting factory ammo and it gets old getting hammered by recoil . Next one will be a 6.5 or 25-06 . Glad I have the 7 milly incase I get a rifle elk tag but I want something less for deer sized game.

Cody_W

WKR
I got a 7 rem mag two years ago and thought I had the do all gun . Come to find out its expensive to practice with shooting factory ammo and it gets old getting hammered by recoil . Next one will be a 6.5 or 25-06 . Glad I have the 7 milly incase I get a rifle elk tag but I want something less for deer sized game.

If recoil is much of a factor, I would stick with a 6.5. Light recoil and easy on the wallet for practicing at the range.

They’ll kill elk to 400 yards with confidence to. The 300 will just kill them with confidence further.

OP
C

CR83

FNG
Have you thought about a 300 win mag with a muzzle brake? I have a couple with brakes and love shooting them. Lowers the recoil a lot. Really helps with a light rifle.

Yes, if I go 300 I will definitely use a brake.

Honestly damn near anything can be a one gun solution. I find your “final two” to be interesting since they are so far apart. There are a ton of good options in between if looking for a do it all. Yes, the 300wm will work on anything in North America, or on the planet for that matter. The 6.5s (especially the faster ones) will also do that, but would raise some eyebrows, like for the big bears in Alaska for instance- though many wouldn’t hesitate to use them. Any of the .284 cartridges that I can think of would make fine “one guns”, as would the .270. How did you arrive at the two you’ve narrowed to?

It’s fun to crunch the numbers and analyze cartridge or bullet choices to death, but the reality is that pretty much any thing from 6mm on up could arguably be a one gun solution.

The decision between the two was made because I currently shoot 300 and like it. But I’m very interested in the ballistics of the 6.5PRC. So I tried not to get too deep into the rabbit hole so I made a decision based on past experience vs. what I like ballistic wide between 6.5 up to 30 cal options. Also 6.5 will be the cheaper of the two to shoot and practice with factory stuff, which is a consideration. I don’t want to reload at this point so factory options are important.

OP
C

CR83

FNG
if you want to shoot further in the future you could buy a 300 down the road and really hone in your skills with the 6.5 being it is cheaper and more pleasant to shoot.

This is where I have been leaning. I definitely want to shoot farther just need to practice more and a gun that can be accurate longer range. Don’t have confidence in my current rifle over 500. At least not on game.

davsco

WKR
yes, have a tikka t3x lite in 300wsm. without a brake i def felt it, but added an area 419 hellfire and it really tames it down.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
If you hunt elk, CO Division of Wildlife recommends 1500 ft lbs of energy. The 6.5 drops below that at about 300 yards. I put a brake on my 300 WSM, very loud, but dropped the recoil significantly.

I've been sucked into the 6.5 PRC hype lately myself, and almost splurged on a new rifle before elk season but I ultimately couldn't justify going with the 6.5 PRC when comparing the ballistics with my "do it all" caliber of choice, the 280 Ackley. I've shot all sorts of calibers and the 280AI is just such a good balance of 7mm high BC bullet options, sufficient power (can get close to 7mm Mag), but very manageable recoil. I can watch impacts as easily as I can when shooting my 6.5 CM.

All that said, I might still get a 6.5 PRC....haha.

I say, look at the 280AI ballistics if you haven't already, and then just get the 6.5 PRC if you've done your due diligence and eliminated all the other options.

isu22andy

WKR
Not very many factory loadings of 6.5prc vs 6.5 creedmoor . 6.5prc isnt as proven .