6.5 or 300WM lightweight rifle for Big Game?

If you hunt elk, CO Division of Wildlife recommends 1500 ft lbs of energy. The 6.5 drops below that at about 300 yards. I put a brake on my 300 WSM, very loud, but dropped the recoil significantly.
Not sure where you came up with that yardage but at sea level using a high BC bullet with a muzzle velocity of 3000 FPS you’re getting 1500 ft lbs at almost 700 yards. At hunting elevations for western game almost 800 yards.

Last edited:
Not very many factory loadings of 6.5prc vs 6.5 creedmoor . 6.5prc isnt as proven .
that's a good point, I don't think anyone that doesn't handload would/should consider the 6.5 PRC. Makes the 300WM the obvious choice of the two for folks relying on factory ammo.

A long action, 24 inch proof and McMillan edge stock will put you at or just under 7 pounds bare. If you’re not looking to handload I’d go 300 win mag. Otherwise I’d do a 7 Saum on a medium length action. A titanium action will get you down in the 6.5 pound range but whether the cost is worth it is a personal choice. My 280ai is 10.5 pounds ready to go with a Harris bipod and leupold Mark 5. With a good break the 300 win mag will be very manageable.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to have a custom rifle built for big game hunting (Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, maybe sheep if I am lucky) and want one rifle to do it all.

Based on my research so far I have narrowed it down to two rounds. So the big question, 6.5 PRC or 300WM? I want a rifle on the lighter side for backpack hunting, hence the 6.5. I love my 300 but feel like the recoil might be a little much on lightweight rifle. Currently shoot a 300WM 12# rifle but want something in the sub 9# rifle fully kitted out.

Welcome to any and all feedback!
I shoot a sub 6 lb (7.5 lb with mk5 3.6-18) 6.5 saum and have killed three bulls with it, my wife just killed a 4th.
It's my go to for elk under 700 yards, I killed a bull with it at 940 last year but won't stretch it that far again.. just not enough left if shot placement isn't perfect.
That said I just built a 300 PRC that comes in at 9.5 lbs scoped and it's very easy to shoot braked.
It's what I'll use for dedicated LR elk hunting

KHNC

WKR
Did you consider the 300WSM as an option at any point? My CA Carbon Classic easily fits your requirements for weight.

Did you consider the 300WSM as an option at any point? My CA Carbon Classic easily fits your requirements for weight.
Currently that’s my elk rifle. I love short actions and a .30 cal with a brake you only need one shot. Shoot a lot and the recoil won’t surprise you. That being said I think I would shoot more often if I had a lighter recoiling rifle and would increase my confidence level. Debating 6.5 prc or a 7 saum.

16Bore

WKR
30-06 is the only true “one and done”, but it’s not new, it’s not cool, and it’s pretty boring.

You’ll come around, eventually......

KHNC

WKR
Currently that’s my elk rifle. I love short actions and a .30 cal with a brake you only need one shot. Shoot a lot and the recoil won’t surprise you. That being said I think I would shoot more often if I had a lighter recoiling rifle and would increase my confidence level. Debating 6.5 prc or a 7 saum.
I run mine with Omega 30 suppressor. Barely even notice the recoil, or the noise .

Unless you really wanted to use the same ammo as your heavier 300wm, I too would nudge you to the 300 wsm. A noticeable amount less recoil for unnoticeable less performance. It just makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, there's a strong case for running a 6.5, even in creedmoor. I could see how someone with more practice with their 6.5 rifle, which it lends itself towards, would put down an animal better than someone with a 300 with just enough shooting to zero their scope.

TreGrizz

FNG
The ammo selection alone would make me choose the 300WM. Every ammo manufacturer sells a 30 caliber bullet / cartridge.

Wolf76

FNG
I'd take a 300 wsm/wm due to the versatility. Factory loads from 150-215 grs.

Find someone to load you a 130 ttsx and experience a laser of death. Super easy recoil too.
I love the 215 Berger for elk, but a 180/200 accubond is down right mean.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
The 6.5 will get the job done. It has great ballistics. It smells like a new truck.

BUT...

It will never be as versatile as the 300. Since elk is on the menu, I would definitely go with the 300, even though the 6.5 is capable. With 180 to 200+ grain premium bullets and excellent factory ammunition, the 300 is proven for elk at ranges beyond what most of us (including me) are ethically capable of.

>>>----------------->JAKE
Have gear, will travel.
-Katy, TX

Jimss

WKR
Do yourself a favor and look at 300 WSM. I bought a Sako Finnlight quite a few years ago and am likely set for life for every big game animal from pronghorn to elk to moose to mtn goat. Mine hardly kicks any harder than my 270 and is super light for carrying around the prairie to the high alpine sheep hills.

Mike 338

WKR
Although poking a hole in anything will usually produce fatal results, I wouldn't consider most 6.5 short actions to have all the juice you'd want for bigger game. Long action 6.5's maybe, but maybe not. A 300 WM will handle anything but it's just plain viscous to shoot. It likes a really long barrel with a brake so it can be a handful to tote. I've compromised with a 30-06 but would also regard a 300 WSM as a great all-arounder. I like the '06 as it's the one just before the magnums but can also sling a zippy 150 gr. bullet nicely with it's standard 10 twist for thinner skinned big game. Believe it or not, even if you wanted to, your probably not going to find to many 1000 yard shots unless you back up on the animals you spot. 338-06 covers a bunch of bases too but not quite as versatile as "do-all" '06.